Geohot Has Hacked The Playstation 3

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
50gb is not bad though.. but will take a day or two to download... (500-700kbps download will take maybe 8hours straight, i used to download animes on torrent and download a single episode in 5 minutes standard 400megs video)

but not all games are 50gb anyway... i see my Eternal Sonata game in PS3 handling 10-12gb? sounds fare for a single disc anyway.

but anyway.. i hope geohot only allows to backup games to HDD if the user got the DISC of the game. If it is downloaded on the net.. well probably not. Oh .... also some plugins like gameshard or action replay might be good.. and integrated on PS3
biggrin.gif

im expecting a Karaoke Homebrew in PS3... I hate singstar to sing songs cause its only selective songs.

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What proof does everyone have that everyone PS3 game is a dual layered Bluray disc?? 50GB is a dual layered medium for Bluray and most PS3 games don't hit over 10GB.

It was announced that FFXIII is on a 50GB medium and the game data itself, apart from the media files is like 6GB (correct me if I am wrong).

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
^dont think too much on other users comment..

only dumb will think all games in PS3 is 50 gb or whatever.

if you have linux.. checking the Disc Capacity will DO... if im not mistaken Motorstorm has only 4Gb data.. enough to fit in DVD.. but dunno why they put it on BD if it can fit on DVD...

weird.

Geohot's Comment on BLog:
QUOTE said:
You can't expect to know everything and dump every piece of code. This hack is enough for homebrew, full linux, and even backups.

hmm... PSP style? the PSP is not full hacked hardware. It was only hacked enough to boot unsigned code and backups.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dnniwa485 said:
^dont think too much on other users comment..

only dumb will think all games in PS3 is 50 gb or whatever.

if you have linux.. checking the Disc Capacity will DO... if im not mistaken Motorstorm has only 4Gb data.. enough to fit in DVD.. but dunno why they put it on BD if it can fit on DVD...

weird.
So ppl would say "OMG ITS BD! this looks WAAAAAAAAAAY better than a normal DVD. I should BUY it!
ohmy.gif
"
I mean..if I see one PS3 games on a normal DVD I would be like WTF??
unsure.gif
lol

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why they put them on Bluray discs is because they are far more scratch resistant. And the consumer doesn't pay any extra for their PS3 games that are on Bluray vs 360 games on a DVD.

wii4it

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its great news that the PS3 is possibly hacked, but it makes you wonder if its worth getting it hacked due to the crazy sizes of games! i.e. 10gb+

Now i'm thinking what to go for...360 or PS3??

adrian2040

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
ZeWarrior said:
DaMummy said:
once you buy the system you can do whatever you want to it, its like throwing somebody in jail for putting new rims on a car....

One thing wrong with that analogy... PUTTING NEW RIMS ON A CAR ISN'T ILLEGAL.
Hacking a PS3 isn't illegal either. What is illegal is pirating the games themselves.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
silleeel said:
Can someone please explain to me how this George Hotz guy is not in jail!? Ive just looked him up then and apparantly he's a world famous hacker and theres pictures of him and crazy details of his exploits all over the internet! lol

do you think if a guy that smart to hack the ps3 would be dumb enough to post his real pic on the interent lol!!

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
CJL18 said:
silleeel said:
Can someone please explain to me how this George Hotz guy is not in jail!? Ive just looked him up then and apparantly he's a world famous hacker and theres pictures of him and crazy details of his exploits all over the internet! lol

do you think if a guy that smart to hack the ps3 would be dumb enough to post his real pic on the interent lol!!

He already appeared several times in differents shows and even in an interview on the news : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hk-OTqx8hQ...=PL&index=8

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii4it said:
Its great news that the PS3 is possibly hacked, but it makes you wonder if its worth getting it hacked due to the crazy sizes of games! i.e. 10gb+

Now i'm thinking what to go for...360 or PS3??
Who says the PS3 has to be used to piracy? I might want ot use an unlocked version of the install other OS feature. Full usage in it would be better than any pirated game on there anyway. because then I can play pc games.

mew512

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this guy is amazing for only hacking it for about 5 weeks but id love to know if the exploit works on the slim version as well as i got that in november in a sale £200 in sainsbury
yay.gif
) and i dont want to have to swap my ps3 that uses less power for one that does

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
pcmanrules said:
I'm looking forward to this! I buy my games and with internet speeds in NZ it'll stay that way. I'd just like Other OS on my Slim and be able to do PS2 games (i bought the games but played on PC).

You're forgetting Sony is making an emulator for PS2 games for all PS3's this year
It was posted on here a while ago.

And they still need to actually hack it and figure how to do homebrew etc.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
pcmanrules said:
I'm looking forward to this! I buy my games and with internet speeds in NZ it'll stay that way. I'd just like Other OS on my Slim and be able to do PS2 games (i bought the games but played on PC).

You're forgetting Sony is making an emulator for PS2 games for all PS3's this year
It was posted on here a while ago.

And they still need to actually hack it and figure how to do homebrew etc.
Link to said post or GTFO

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony has been working on a software emulation for ps2 for awhile but they can't get emulation of the graphics right thats why its not out, cause the ntsc 60gb had the graphics chip but no emotion engine and they used software emulation to play games but the graphics chip has been tooken out completely now. (i guess to save money) So when they get that emulated right we will have ps2 backwards compatibility on all ps3's, but if they are still working on it i don't know

i believe they were working on software emulation from before the ps3 came out but couldn't get it done in time to lower the price so they had to run with adding the ps2's cpu & gpu in and make the consumer pay the price

edit: decided to use punctuation this time

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stab244 said:
I just want to know what kind of homebrew will be made.
with that much power under the hood
one could only imagine...

ps2 emu
ps3 iso loader
maybe even gcn or xbox 1 emu's

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1