Generic DS3 controllers

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by rusty shackleford, Jul 20, 2013.

1. rusty shackleford
    OP

rusty shackleford Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Their bluetooth....
    I think that they'll connect just fine.

Also, Props to your username.
    <3 KOTH!

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You can expect two things from a no name third party controller:
    - Sub-par build quality (it just won't feel the same in your hands and more likely to break when dropped)
    - less accurate thumb stick movement (third party controllers, even the good ones, are notorious for having more dead zones than an official controller)

It isn't as if they won't work, and if you don't intend to use it as a main controller, it's probably a decent investment. This one specifically claims bluetooth compatibility and doesn't mention a dongle, so my guess would be that it doesn't require one. Don't be too surprised if it comes with one though.

4. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I've had a couple Chinese knockoffs (not those specifically, though I imagine they're all pretty much the same) and for the most part they work fine. The dead zones are actually about the same as a wired third-party controller, or at least the GameStop ones. There are really only two issues for me:

1) They work fine in PS2 classics and just about everything else, but I can't get them to work wirelessly in PS2 disc games (on a BC fat model); I haven't played any PS1 games to test how well they work there.

2) One of them has a curious battery life. On some charges it'll last days at a time, others it'll only last maybe three or four hours. I don't own any real DS3s so I can't say what the battery life should be.

Overall, for the price they're very worthwhile, in my opinion.

5. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I have a bunch. The sticks and triggers don't feel and respond as nicely as oem ones, but otherwise they're fine. They work with "Sixaxis Controller" on Android, on the PS3 itself, but I can't get them to work on Windows with MotionInJoy. I can get legit ones to work though.

6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    An official controller should last for I'd guess about 20 hours of play time. Probably a touch more, but not more than 25 hours. I guess six-axis use drains the battery, but so few games use it, it's really a non-issue. To note, all I've ever had were official controllers.