GECKO 1.9.1 - Disc Read Error???

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kaizer3000, Jun 2, 2009.

Jun 2, 2009
  1. kaizer3000
    OP

Member kaizer3000 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    Hi, here's my problem:
    I tried running Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles using Backup Launcher/Gamars Backup Channel Gamma and even SOFTCHIPR92M backup launcher and they were fine...but then I found out I need homebrew channel in order to launch ocarina..
    So I downloaded and tried it only to found out that it's "invalid wii ap"...so I did a bit searching and realised ocarina wont work with updated homebrew channel.
    Then other sites recommended me to try out GECKO_OS since is has support of cheat codes as well...

But when I tried launching the game, at first it managed to detect my game and the cheat code ID, I was very happy till later it says "Disc Read Error"...
    I was shocked.

What happened?

Please advice...thanks in advance

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    This should have gone in the Backup Loader section but here goes

Unless you have a mod chip or cioscorp GeckoOS only works with originals. But Gamma supports Ocarina so why don't you just turn that on in the options?

3. kaizer3000
    OP

Malaysia
    Thanks for the fast reply!!
    well I tried using GECKO_OS with the "download version" of Super Smash Bros Brawl (7+Gig game version) and Mario Kart Wii and it works well...makes me wonder why it doesnt work with Resident Evil?

And thanks for the tip...(Although I dont actually prefer Gamars launcher coz there are some games it doesnt run well with...)

4. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Yo Kaizer mah mate.

Listen, Disc Read Error refers to one (Or some) of these is bad:

1)The disc (Which could be your problem)
    2)Your Wii's DVD Drive
    3)The burner they used

(Bootleg) games that I bought from stores usually has DRE. What I did was dump the image using IMGBurn and re-burn the backup using a nice DVD (Verbatim DataLifePlus ftw). That or I use USB Loader.

BTW, for all you people who are against bootleg games, we can't help it. Torrents are slow here in Malaysia, hardly hitting 100kb/s.

5. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Actually I'd have to say that the system could be missing an IOS. which version of the Gecko OS are you using? the newest version loads the game on the IOS that would ussually be used when booted through the disk channel. If other loaders work then I'd be willing to be that the issue is a missing IOS.

Besides the backup launcher 0.3 gamma supports ocarina cheats. try that if all else fails. works the same as gecko OS as the loader is based on Gecko OS.

6. kaizer3000
    OP

Malaysia
    Yup it works!!!
    Ocarina by itself may not be working, but with Backup Launcher and Gamars Backup Channel Gamma, now it works perfectly!!

as Hells Guardian said "it might be missing IOS"...so far only the GeckoOS not working perfectly...perhaps in near future it will be perfected.... [​IMG]

7. eric75

Newcomer eric75 Member

United Kingdom

MANY thanks for this....my backup of NTSC Elebits was working with Gecko 1.9 before the HBC update (IOS12 updated via IOS Downgrader to workaround) but it then gave me the the 'disc read error' too. Several burns later and IOS12-64-v6.wad installed (taken from the disc) did not help BUT the backup launcher works great!!!

I'm on PAL 3.2E via MiiWii by the way.

Thanks for your help!

8. 113zircon

Newcomer 113zircon Newbie

Mauritius
    Hello Guys Me also I Had that problem, I have an illegal copy of Golden Eye 007 when I tried to put codes on gecko os and it says SD codes found. applying and suddenly says disc read error but when I tried Wii Sports (which was original) successfuly worked so I think that people who has illegal copy should use original game its the only way it can work !