Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
12857-gcw_logo2.png

The GCW Zero is an opensource gaming handheld often referred to as the spiritual successor to the Dingoo. Running a modified build of OpenDingux the system is capable of emulating some fantastic retro gaming experiences.

Pre-order customers will be happy to hear that the Special Edition builds have arrived to the CEO and are being prepared for delivery. Once those have been shipped out the focus will shift back to the 1,680 Kickstarter backers, who helped to raise $238,498 to make this project possible.

If you were not aware of the GCW Zero until now, we have collected some links that will help you to research this product. Please see the bottom of this post for more information. Individuals directly involved with the project have registered here at GBAtemp and are ready to tackle all of your questions. So please, ask away!

CPU: Ingenic JZ4770 1 GHz MIPS processor
GPU: Vivante GC860, capable of OpenGL ES 2.0
Display: 3.5 inch LCD with 320x240 pixels; 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal for retro gaming
Operating System: Linux 3.x (OpenDingux)
Memory: 512 MB DDR2
Internal storage: 8 GBApparently it was upgraded to 16GB, most of which is available for applications and data
External storage: micro SDHC up to 32 GB or micro SDXC of 64 GB (SDXC cards must be reformatted before use)
Connectivity: Mini USB 2.0 OTG
Mini HDMI 1.3 out
3.5 mm (mini jack) A/V port for earphone and analog TV-out
Audio: Stereo speakers, mono microphone
Other: Accelerometer (g-sensor) and vibration motors
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz, can connect to access point or direct device-to-device
Dimensions: 143 * 70 * 18 mm
Weight: 8 oz / 225 g
Battery: 2800 mAh

:arrow: GCW Zero Homepage
:arrow: Kickstarter Page
:arrow: Discussion at Dingoonity.org
:arrow: YouTube Vids

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it has HDMI, can I connect this to my TV and connect a controller? Then it would be a portable retro homeconsole, which is really cool. I don't know if I'll buy this for $100+ though since I'm saivng up for 3DS games and Wii U.
That's the plan, they still need to develop a working driver so that the mini HDMI-out and analogue TV-out ports are usable though.

I backed the kickstarter and am really looking forward to my GCW Zero arriving, I've picked up many an open handheld like the GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo in pursuit of the perfect handheld SNES machine. Those machines all felt short one way or another, usually the primary directional input being analogue or the lack of processing power.
And then this thing comes along with a snazzy d-pad and 1Ghz MIPS processor? Sold.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the sega gen and snes cartridge readers are fully supported on the gcw zero. Someone is also working on making an app to dump your own legal roms for it too. Seems like a great little portable device. I may order one of these in the future.

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A correction to the specifications: 16GB of internal storage instead of 8GB (this has been upgraded during the Kickstarter project).

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok I probably didn't look for the info enough, but around what consoles can it emulate (including arcade) and how much is this bad boy gonna cost. I just picked up my PSP Go.....IT ain't cutting it

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is very interesting.
The only thing that concerns me is the built-in quality.
Most open-source handlehelds have poor buit-in quality, so I'll wait some feedback before buying one of these.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ