GCW Zero, opensource gaming handheld

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, May 24, 2013.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    [​IMG]

The GCW Zero is an opensource gaming handheld often referred to as the spiritual successor to the Dingoo. Running a modified build of OpenDingux the system is capable of emulating some fantastic retro gaming experiences.

Pre-order customers will be happy to hear that the Special Edition builds have arrived to the CEO and are being prepared for delivery. Once those have been shipped out the focus will shift back to the 1,680 Kickstarter backers, who helped to raise $238,498 to make this project possible.

If you were not aware of the GCW Zero until now, we have collected some links that will help you to research this product. Please see the bottom of this post for more information. Individuals directly involved with the project have registered here at GBAtemp and are ready to tackle all of your questions. So please, ask away!

:arrow: GCW Zero Homepage
    :arrow: Kickstarter Page
    :arrow: Discussion at Dingoonity.org
    :arrow: YouTube Vids

2. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    If it has HDMI, can I connect this to my TV and connect a controller? Then it would be a portable retro homeconsole, which is really cool. I don't know if I'll buy this for $100+ though since I'm saivng up for 3DS games and Wii U.

3. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    That's the plan, they still need to develop a working driver so that the mini HDMI-out and analogue TV-out ports are usable though.

I backed the kickstarter and am really looking forward to my GCW Zero arriving, I've picked up many an open handheld like the GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo in pursuit of the perfect handheld SNES machine. Those machines all felt short one way or another, usually the primary directional input being analogue or the lack of processing power.
    And then this thing comes along with a snazzy d-pad and 1Ghz MIPS processor? Sold.

4. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I read the sega gen and snes cartridge readers are fully supported on the gcw zero. Someone is also working on making an app to dump your own legal roms for it too. Seems like a great little portable device. I may order one of these in the future.

5. alexei_gp

alexei_gp GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2010
    Mexico
    I'm happy I'm a backer for the kickstarter campaign as I will get my GCW Zero very soon.

macmanhigh likes this.
  6. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    Looks very interesting!

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    *4-player split-screen on 320x240, effectively 4x 80x60*

Oh dear... :P

Kippykip and Joe88 like this.
  8. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    No dude, it's 160x120 for each quarter. 80x60 is more like 16-player split screen!
    Actually whilst the screen is only 320x240, the output resolution will probably be higher when using hdmi/tv-out.

Foxi4 likes this.
  9. Surkow

Surkow Advanced Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Netherlands
    A correction to the specifications: 16GB of internal storage instead of 8GB (this has been upgraded during the Kickstarter project).

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yep, you're right, my bad. :P

11. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    really glad i was able to back the kickstarter=)

/me looks at specs. oh yeah id forgot about the accelerometer. that'll be fun for Decent/2

12. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    It's be very cool if they use it for some emulation, like Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, Wario Ware Twisted, etc.

13. JinTrigger

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    Ok I probably didn't look for the info enough, but around what consoles can it emulate (including arcade) and how much is this bad boy gonna cost. I just picked up my PSP Go.....IT ain't cutting it

14. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    Was just checking out Pates blog and it looks like he is working on zerox86. Good news indeed!

15. alib8811
    This message by alib8811 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, May 27, 2013.
    May 27, 2013
  16. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    This is very interesting.
    The only thing that concerns me is the built-in quality.
    Most open-source handlehelds have poor buit-in quality, so I'll wait some feedback before buying one of these.