Hacking GCOS as a Wii app?

Jm9760

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's my situation. I have a modded gamecube, but a normal wii. So I have a bunch of gamecube backups that I can only play on my gamecube, but not on my wii. Would it be possible for GCOS to be made into a .elf file and run through the homebrew channel in order to play gamecube backups without a chip?

Jm9760

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that's what GCOS allows. On a gamecube you can use a softmod to load GCOS and then it will read the burned games. Is the wii different?...If it was run in gamecube mode I would think it would be exactly the same.

EDIT: Actually I know the wii can read burned discs because the sd media launcher can be used to run GCOS and then backups on wii.

KrashLF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jm9760 said:
But that's what GCOS allows. On a gamecube you can use a softmod to load GCOS and then it will read the burned games. Is the wii different?...If it was run in gamecube mode I would think it would be exactly the same.

EDIT: Actually I know the wii can read burned discs because the sd media launcher can be used to run GCOS and then backups on wii.

Mkay, these are new information for me. Good to know. =)

shred6waves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deba94 said:
shred6waves said:
Arakon said:
gamecube software can't be launched as a channel, since channels always run in wii mode.

arent ".dol" files gamecube files? they can be launched in the HBC
If you don't believe him, why don't you just inject the .dol yourself?

i dont know anything about that or else id try
laugh.gif

i was just thinking it COULD be possible because the wii can run GCN homebrew, but then again, i dont really know much about coding and all that good stuff

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
but can't gamecube games be streamed from SD? (SDgecko that is).

why not homebrew lol?

(just making a point, i trust you guys that it isn't possible. besides i dont know why im posting here i don't even have a wii hahaha
frown.gif
)

Jm9760

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
gamecube homebrew can only be run from a disc, not a channel. so nope won't be possible!

So no gamecube-mode homebrew can be run on a wii unless it's modded? Not even with an sd gecko?

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
.dol is a file extension and a format, it isn't exclusive to wii or GC. that's like saying you can play VC games in doom cause doom uses .wad too.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OSW said:
but can't gamecube games be streamed from SD? (SDgecko that is).

why not homebrew lol?

(just making a point, i trust you guys that it isn't possible. besides i dont know why im posting here i don't even have a wii hahaha
frown.gif
)
AFAIK the SD slots are off in gamecube mode. also, you don't have a network adaptor in gamecube mode.. USB is not enabled, and the gamecube doesn't do wifi so no streaming whatsoever

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arakon said:
.dol is a file extension and a format, it isn't exclusive to wii or GC. that's like saying you can play VC games in doom cause doom uses .wad too.

.dol is a Gamecube (Dolphin) executable file. Your comparison to .wad files is erroneous.

Running GCOS or the Wii's own GameCube emulation to execute as part of a user created channel and read Gamecube backups is very possible, it just hasn't been coded yet. It's possible that the code to read gamecube backups on the Wii already exists and won't be released by those with the knowledge to do it because of their stance against piracy.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazycus said:
the Wii's own GameCube emulation
The Wii doesn't emulate the Gamecube.

QUOTEIt's possible that the code to read gamecube backups on the Wii already exists and won't be released by those with the knowledge to do it because of their stance against piracy.
Please stop making up stuff.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fat Slaughter Bad said:
SDGecko uses the GC MemCard slot, and yes, there is a program that boots GCN ISOs.
You need a USBGecko or an SDGecko, I forget which one
tongue.gif
yeah THAT is possible. But that's already in gamecube mode, not in wii mode, so can't run it as a wii app.

Totakeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted about a method I heard worked a long time ago, but received rude remarks. People should learn that asking for that stuff here is like putting a red sign on your forehead that spells "FLAME ME." Ironic, given the eagerness of the the majority of GBATemp users to pirate VC and Wiiware games. Just don't bother asking for it. There are hypocrites just waiting to attack you.

The method I posted about can be found here, by the way, but it requires a Max Drive Pro. Not sure if the Max Drive Pro disc has also been blocked like the AR disc was.
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=15482

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totakeke said:
I posted about a method I heard worked a long time ago, but received rude remarks.
The method you refer to is about loading Gamecube software, in Gamecube mode, or on an actual Gamecube. Whereas this thread revolves around achieving the same on a fully enabled Wii. It is of no use in this case.

Jm9760

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totakeke said:
I posted about a method I heard worked a long time ago, but received rude remarks. People should learn that asking for that stuff here is like putting a red sign on your forehead that spells "FLAME ME." Ironic, given the eagerness of the the majority of GBATemp users to pirate VC and Wiiware games. Just don't bother asking for it. There are hypocrites just waiting to attack you.

The method I posted about can be found here, by the way, but it requires a Max Drive Pro. Not sure if the Max Drive Pro disc has also been blocked like the AR disc was.
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=15482

Yea, thanks. I already knew about this but I was just wondering if GCOS, which this allows to load, could me made into an app that could be launched straight from the wii instead of requiring a disc like this or the sd media launcher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...