[GC]How to mod a gamecube

Hello there, I moved this tutorial from gulli to gbatemp because this is an english forum and it fits better here.
NOTE: My english isn't the best and it really wasn't at the time this guide has come to live. :) I know that nearly nobody will be interested in this, but there are still some people out there who want to do this. It still feels more original/nostalgic (at least for me) to play GC games on a real GC. :)

Current Version: 1.1 - Downloadlink below

English:
NOTE: Every version of the tutorial will be updated in this thread!

I created a tutorial using other sources, stuff from me and my experience. In this tutorial is the whole modification process of "modifying a gamecube" described.

What you need:
- A XenoGC 2.0 modchip
- A soldering iron
- A gamecube... :)

Content:
- The built-in of a Xeno GC V2.0 modchip
- How to tweak your laser
- How to clean your laser lens the right way
- Some information about burning Discs and ISO files
- Links
- Personal experience/tipps

---------------------------------------------------------------------

German/Deutsch:
NOTE: Jegliche Änderungen am Tutorial werden in DIESEM Thread hier festgehalten!

Ich habe mal diverse Tutorials im I-net durchforstet, zusammengefasst, ergänzt, usw.
Das Tutorial beschreibt den kompletten Prozess der Modifizierung einer Gamecube, u.a.:

- Xeno GC V2.0 einbau (Modchip)
- Laser Tweak
- Reinigung der Laser Linse
- Infos zum Brennen, ISO's
- Links
- Teils persönliche Erfahrungen/Tipps

DOWNLOADLINK:

Mod-Tutorial Download [pdf]
(if the link does not work for you, right click ->"save link as...")

Greets
TrudleR

Reactions: Margen67

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reported this thread since your guide contains rom links, please remove those because of the rules.

Further it's a pretty nice guide. You should make a list of what people need to mod. :3

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

TrudleR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
it sucks how there is no soft mod for the gamecube.

True, there is something called "SD Media Launcher", but this still needs a disc to run. (:

EDIT: To get more specific: This would be a softmod, but buying a Xeno is cheaper. And if you cannot get rid of the drive, it's not worth it, because it is the most sensible/filigree part of the console.

Reactions: DinohScene

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

gives a blank screen for me :/

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The guide does directly lead to sites which provide ROMs and ISOs so I did take out the link for now, remove the whole "how to download roms" part and its ok.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when I had a Gamecube I went the SD Media Launcher route for around $20 USD. It allows for home launching, SD game loading, as well as burned disc based loading. (Had to do a pot tweak on my Gamecube's laser to get it to read the discs but after that it's worked fine.) The SD game compatibility was alright but most of the major games I wanted to play weren't supported. (The Pokemon games being the main ones.) If someone wasn't decent enough soldering wise or doesn't want to open up their Gamecube for some reason I'd recommend a SD Media Launcher. (But check the compatibility list.)

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Been thinking about modding my GC lately, but I wonder is it better to mod a Wii or a Gc for (audio streaming) Gc games. On the Wii I've read a wiikey v1 is best for audio streaming games but they are almost impossible to find now days.
So I may just end up doing this unless someone knows of another modchip that properly supports audio streaming on a Wii D2B drive. Lots of Wii modchip's say they support it but most don't support it properly so I'd like to hear from someone that's actually tested.

edit: just read up on yaosm 3.2, I believe it's going to be the solution that I've been looking for.

TrudleR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Lol, I just noticed how bad my english was back then. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or send a PM, as some parts of the guide are really hard to understand.

Last edited by TrudleR,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs