GC controller the same thing as classic controller?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by theman060606, Oct 6, 2009.

1. theman060606
    OP

Newcomer theman060606 Member

United States
    I am preparing to follow the guide on correcting my system after an accidental 4.2 update (disabling my loaders and HBC). I don't have a GC controller and I don't see one at the local Walmart. Is the classic controller the same thing? Will any third party GC controller work? I don't need it for any games, just to use as described in the guides for bootmii and other hacking stuff. Do I need to look for a controller with a certain plug type? Does it need to be wired or will wireless work? I assume I can find this for less than $10, is that right?

Thanks.

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    that step is optional on if your going to play gamecube backups.

3. theman060606
    OP

United States
    Can you confirm this? As I read the stickied instructions they mention the GC controller as part of the bootmii setup. No mention of gamecube backups at that point in the instructions.

4. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    In case of emergency, bootmii can be operated solely with the power/reset/eject buttons, but a cube controller is way more comfortable. A Classic Controller can not replace it, as it plugs into the inaccessible Wii Remote, but third-party cube controllers often work.

5. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    That's not true. Unless they fixed it in this new version.

I've modded 7 Wii's myself, and walked people through many more and not one of them has ever got the face button thing working. Pressing power/reset /eject just does what it's supposed to do, power off/reset the console/eject a disc. I've always had to use GC controller to use Bootmii.

So the OP, yes you do need a GC controller, unless you want to proceed with no NAND backup, which is just asking for trouble imo.

6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That's because the face buttons didn't work in older versions of BootMii/IOS. But as of beta3 they do. Why not try it out on your own console?

7. KiiNG

Member KiiNG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know the WaveBird (wireless) doesn't work with BootMii, so I would assume other wireless GC remotes don't work, but I could be wrong. I bought a used wired GC controller from GameStop for about $5.

8. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I got a brand new sealed official GC controller on ebay for $25. Best money ever spent [​IMG] The controller is good for more than you can imagine (many emulators make GREAT use of it)

9. Oh Really?

Member Oh Really? GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As fat d said, you don't need a gamecube controller. This is how bootmii works:
    You power on your wii, and before anything loads, the bootmii screen comes up. You have 4 options: Go to system menu, go to HBC, SD card options, and another one (I can't remember cause I don't ever look at it) Anyways, the options don't mater. Back on point: The bootmii screen comes up and by default the option selected is go to system menu. Without a gamecube controller, you must press the 'reset' button on your wii itself to select this. (Power button scrolls the option, reset selects it) So if you wanted to get to HBC without first going through your system menu, press power button once to select HBC and press reset to select it. (This is how you recover from a banner brick)
    However, with a gamecube controller, you can scroll/select using that instead of having to get up and press the buttons on the wii itself. Basically, it just makes it more convenient.
    Hope this helps
    P.S. This is with bootmii installed as boot2, I have no idea how it works as an IOS since I don't use that method

10. Retrievil

Canada
    Because I'm a firm believer in the old saying ... If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I won't update unless I have a need to, and since I have a GC controller, I don't.

Heck I'm still on rev10 and some like r400 something of USB Loader GX. Everything works perfectly, including all the new releases, so why mess with a good thing?

11. dole

Newcomer dole Advanced Member

United States
    I've got a crap Gamestop wireless controller and it works in BootMii.

12. theman060606
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info. I followed the sticky guide and restored my loaders and HBC after the accidental update from 3.2 to 4.2. Everything is working perfectly. I also noticed the guide was recently edited to show the GC controller as an optional step. I don't play GC games and was worried that I would get to a step in the process which required the controller (leaving me out of luck).

Thanks all.

13. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    damn $25?!
    i got 3 for that price, brand new of course off ebay.

14. Retrievil

Canada
    GC controllers are cheap.

A guy I work with buys used Gamecubes off craigslist just to scavenge the controllers and memory cards to use with Wiis.

He just got one with 4 real Nintendo controllers, 2 Nintendo memory cards, and 6 games (including Wind Waker) for $30.