MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so I fired up Link's Awakening DX via LameBoy v.11. I go to save, and I choose save and continue. However, when I shut off my DS and turn it on, the save is gone. Anyone got some insight into this issue? FYI, my ROM is saved in /Homebrew/Emulators/ROMs/GB. LameBoy is saved in /Homebrew/Emulators.

B

ball2012003

you have to save it using the touchscreen menu
make it so that it says save in slot 0 or 1 or whatever number
than save it like that and when you start up the ds again go to load from slot 0 or whatever number you put

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think I figured it out. All I did was save and then return to the title screen. Once there, I hit X (whatever X does... I assume save state.) Then I shut off my DS and turned it on. I went to load up my ROM and my save was there!

I got it now, just press X after I save and all is well. Thanks for the tips, everyone, but this is seemingly the short and sweet way of saying how to do it.

EDIT: I just tried nesDS, and the same principle works the same way. Save, then go to the options and save the SRAM. I wonder, can you set it to do that automatically?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emulators don't check to see if the SRAM has been updated, so you have to manually write the updated SRAM to a permanent file on your card. In Lameboy's case, it's with the X button, with NES DS it's the touchscreen menu. SNEmulDS used to require this as well until it added automatic SRAM saving in version 0.6 Alpha. In theory perhaps it might be possible to add it to the other emulators, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

Don't confuse this with savestates (which Lameboy also supports). A savestate is when you save the exact moment you're currently at and can resume from that exact point. What you're doing right now is merely making sure the game's built-in saving mechanism works as intended.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
The emulators don't check to see if the SRAM has been updated, so you have to manually write the updated SRAM to a permanent file on your card. In Lameboy's case, it's with the X button, with NES DS it's the touchscreen menu. SNEmulDS used to require this as well until it added automatic SRAM saving in version 0.6 Alpha. In theory perhaps it might be possible to add it to the other emulators, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

Don't confuse this with savestates (which Lameboy also supports). A savestate is when you save the exact moment you're currently at and can resume from that exact point. What you're doing right now is merely making sure the game's built-in saving mechanism works as intended.
Thanks Dan. However, I do know the difference between savestates and SRAM dumps. This isn't my first rodeo with emulators and ROMs, nor will it be my last.
tongue.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only said that because you said you thought X might be a savestate button, which of course it isn't. This has just been a common misconception since the very first versions of Lameboy, so I wanted to make absolutely sure you understood.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
I only said that because you said you thought X might be a savestate button, which of course it isn't. This has just been a common misconception since the very first versions of Lameboy, so I wanted to make absolutely sure you understood.
And I do understand. Thanks again.
smile.gif

Tanmay

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is some special help click x. then go to whatever game you are playing and save it the way you would do it on an actual gbc.
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: