Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Insult Pokemon?

Pokemon is not a person, it's not even an organized group - it's a video game franchise, wheras some members of these forums treat it like a religion. I'm a die hard Sonic fan but I don't get my panties in a bunch when someone criticizes that franchise because A) It's mostly well-founded criticism and B) It's a video game for crying out loud. If you treat criticism of a game you like personally, there's something wrong with your priorities.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind people speaking of it's flaws and what not, but, don't you find it quiet tiresome to see it in almost every "New Pokemon game announced" thread?

No; it's perfectly relevant to the discussion at hand. I mean, if a new entry is coming forth, discussing what you hope won't be present is just as valid as discussing what you hope will be in it.

Now, I find it tiresome when people get their panties in a bunch and take any criticism of the franchise as a personal insult, but that's something else entirely.

broitsak

Fight me.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No; it's perfectly relevant to the discussion at hand. I mean, if a new entry is coming forth, discussing what you hope won't be present is just as valid as discussing what you hope will be in it.

Now, I find it tiresome when people get their panties in a bunch and take any criticism of the franchise as a personal insult, but that's something else entirely.
From what I see, Guild doesn't insult Pokemon, he insults the people who like it.
Let's not discuss this anymore and not ruin Guild's "amazing" thread. I don't even know why I still insist on discussing this crap with you guys.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
From what I see, Guild doesn't insult Pokemon, he insults the people who like it.
Let's not discuss this anymore and not ruin Guild's "amazing" thread. I don't even know why I still insist on discussing this crap with you guys.
You missed the part where Guild enjoys Pokemon himself and played all the installments in the main series so-far.

If he insults someone, then it's Poketards, and to be fair, he insults just about any fanatical fanbase, it's just that the Poketards were on the radar in that particular thread.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From what you see? As has already been mentioned, there was exactly one comment in the entire thread that could be taken that way, and even that was just misphrased. Considering how much Guild relies on hyperbole, I'm kind of surprised people keep taking offense, but whatever.

Though you are right that he doesn't insult Pokemon. I don't know why you're clinging to the notion that Pokemon is being insulted, but whatever.[/quote]

And the lamest, most blatant retreat of the week goes to... Nxenz! Congratulations!

Here's a tip: Don't bring a subject up if you aren't able to properly support your argument and if you're not willing to continue the conversation.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope people realize that the purpose of this thread and ShitGBAtempSays has been completely transparent since day zero for both.
Agreed. Though, ShitGBAtemp says is fucking hilarious. I've even made it up there a few times lololol. I have to say that sometimes shit I say ain't always exactly coherent and relevant and I can laugh at myself.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Though, ShitGBAtemp says is fucking hilarious. I've even made it up there a few times lololol. I have to say that sometimes shit I say ain't always exactly coherent and relevant and I can laugh at myself.

A person with a sense of humor around here? That's new.

It's good to see that you can laugh at yourself from time to time though unlike some people here.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Simply put, mind your own business.
This is what you fail to understand. Guild was minding his own business. There was a thread on GBAtemp, a place where people are free to discuss topics, and Guild decided to post his opinion. Once he stated his opinion others lashed out at him and he civilly defended his stance. If anything the others need to mind their own business and stop attacking Guild whenever he posts something.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Svalbard
This is what you fail to understand. Guild was minding his own business. There was a thread on GBAtemp, a place where people are free to discuss topics, and Guild decided to post his opinion. Once he stated his opinion others lashed out at him and he civilly defended his stance. If anything the others need to mind their own business because they attacked Guild.

I believe this started it :
gbatemp.net/threads/pokémon-january-8th-reveal.340107/

People trying to say Pokemon Black/White had a good storyline.

Shit makes me laugh.
And his opinion was just wrong and made Ice protect pokemon

Reactions: Black-Ice

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this started when Black-Ice claimed that people who (rightfully so, in my personal opinion, but whatever) found fault with the storytelling in the Pokemon games were just too "simple" to "engage" with it. (This post was made 20 minutes prior to Guild's post here)

And his opinion was just wrong and made Ice protect pokemon

Ha ha, no.

Also, what, Pokemon has to be verily defended from any sort of criticsm now?

I'm sorry, it's a franchise, not some damsel in distress. Someone criticizing a franchise you like is not a valid excuse for throwing a hissy fit and whining about how "corrupt" the forum is.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Svalbard
No, this started when Black-Ice claimed that people who (rightfully so, in my personal opinion, but whatever) found fault with the storytelling in the Pokemon games were just to "simple" to "engage" with it. (This post was made 20 minutes prior to Guild's post here)

Ha ha, no.

Also, what, Pokemon has to be verily defended from any sort of criticsm now?

I'm sorry, it's a franchise, not some damsel in distress. Someone criticizing a franchise you like is not a valid reason for throwing a hissy fit and whining about how "corrupt" the forum is.

What Ice has stated was very reasonable.

All the people who didnt like the story in Black and White are either:
Too simple to engage in any type of direction in a game besides 'shoot this'
Or simply not pokemon fans.

I just don't wanna continue this.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Ice has stated was very reasonable.

All the people who didnt like the story in Black and White are either:
Too simple to engage in any type of direction in a game besides 'shoot this'
Or simply not pokemon fans. *cough*

Um... I read the post and linked to it, so quoting it again is unnecessary. Also, how is saying "people who didn't like the story" (for whatever reason) are too dumb to get it, in any possible way, reasonable?

I just don't wanna continue this.

This has a bit more grace, so Nxenz gets to keep his crown, but my tip remains the same.

You know, I get it, you like Pokemon. It's cool, we all like things. But if your fandom takes you to such a fanatical extreme that you treat any criticism against it as obscene sacrilege (heinous enough to justify fullblown temper tantrums), something's obviously gone wrong. If you concede the argument, fine, yay for me, but do yourself a favor - I think some self-reflection is in order here.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh, I left.
Can people leave me alone now?
Let me clear up:
I left because theres not a single topic I like that can be talked about safely without the usual culprits derailing/calling everything shit.
Final Fantasy, Pokemon, League of Legends, Anime etc etc.
Pokemon just happened to be the last straw in the long line of broken topics that I thought I could enjoy. I'm not broken down and crazy but if you want I can post Tidus Laugh anytime.
My claim of Corruption has a little more weight than what can be seen at first glance, especially to those who are involved.

#explanation
#StahpTalkingAboutMeAndMakingMeExplainThings

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOSH I LEFT SO I'M GOING TO COME BACK HERE TO COMPLAIN.

If you left then you left, you shouldn't care about what goes on back here.

EDIT: Also the sheer ignorance I'm seeing is that the general assumption is that I wanted to derail that thread, that I wanted to troll, and that I hate Pokemon. All three of these are false.

If you actually read what I posted there, you'll see I was only criticizing this singular aspect of Pokemon Black which I felt took away from the main game (but did not, I repeat, did not ruin the game at all) and that Pokemon should stick to what it does best. I still said I enjoyed my experience with Pokemon Black and that the franchise, while having a lot of faults, is a guilty pleasure of mine. I was simply criticizing an aspect of the game.

I love Mass Effect and I'm sure we all remember the fallout of Mass Effect 3. I loved the ending as it was originally, and no one else did (well Gahars as an exception). Literally EVERYONE disagreed with me. Did I throw a hissy fit, say no one understands, and leave the forum? No, because I'm a grown ass man. I have discussed the ending with a lot of people here on many occasions and I never once got buttmad and left the forum. Why? Well first the people who discussed it aren't fucking twelve year olds. Second, because it's a video game. Not everyone is going to like it. I realize that.

I know you may say "BUT FROM BLACK-ICE'S PERSPECTIVE YOU'RE SHOVING YOUR OPINION DOWN HIS THROAT!" Um, no. I was stating my opinion very plainly. If he just went "Well I kinda liked the story but I will acknowledge some flaws and that's that" then it'd be a done conversation. But he immediately went on the slippery slope, started saying I "don't understand" or insulting me personally like a petty child.

And if you get buttmad over Pokemon, grow the fuck up. It's fucking Pokemon. Not like a called you some racial slur or something along those lines, I said your game has a bad story that detracts from the game compared to other entries in the franchise. If you don't like it, fucking deal with it. Grow a pair.

Reactions: Sterling and Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.