Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Vater Unser said:
There's also recently been a re-release of the game for windows with improved graphics (which can be turned on and off) as well as the ability to change the game's resolution, although it looks kinda shitty in higher resolutions, since it makes all the characters look fat and makes everything look more artificial and static.

Personally, I liked the SNES version best. It has a few more screens than prior releases of the game (which is noteworthy since the whole game is short as hell), as well as some new kick-ass music which, as far as I know, didn't appear in any other versions of the game, including the recent re-release. The framerate sucked ass though.

my favorite version is the 3do version which was the only one to feature its own sound track. the segacd version was also nice because the original sound was cd quality. the 3do version also featured a different color pallet which was a welcome change from the versions before it. the game originally did not have any music during game play, chahi wanted it this way. a musical score was added when interplay wanted to port the game to other systems. chahi had an up hill battle with the rights/integrity to the game at this point. but in the end he settled for a few of their changes in exchange for allowing the game to be ported to systems like genesis and snes. the snes version does have issues with frame rate, and at times can take away from the fun of playing the game. they also edited the butt cracks on the aliens in the bath scene.

the anv edition for XP is great because of the optional raster backgrounds. they really improve the feel of the game.

QUOTE([Truth] @ Jan 1 2009, 01:16 PM)
damn this game is so fucking difficult.
this is real trial and error.
but it annoys if you have to redo the same sequences again and again because you don´t know what to do at a specific point.

this is exactly why this game is so great. games were once hard and required time and thought to beat. when i play a modern "3d" game i find its mostly walk through it and only the boss battles are difficult. also foxy left in a greater number of continue points for the gba version. it is much harder the first time through on another version.

=====

there is mention on chahi's site of a 3do port to gba from Gil Megidish that requires the original 3do files. i have never been able to track down this "emu." if anyone knows where to get it please let me know via PM or post a link here.

cheers,
-another world

Shichibukai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GASP! i didn't know Another World liked Gba game Another World! This is news for me!

Lol On Topic: great game! but i only remember some things hard, (well maybe i was lost) but i didn't find it so difficult

Hebus San

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jenesuis.net
XP
Country
France
Another World is probably the best french game ever made. Eternal love to Eric Chahi et Foxy for the GBA ver.
The best "die and retry" game ever as well.

You must play this game and end it. A few games worth it as it does. Believe me. I was 14 when the game was release on Amiga 500, and i still remember the first time i runned it as it was yesterday.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
I love this game, yet I've never completed it. As many times as I've played it, I always manage to get stuck somewhere.

Also, I really feel like this game was a big inspiration to the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus creators.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was gonna post asking for the best version of the game to try out ( I have the GBA and Snes ones but I was looking for something smoother/faster and/or higher resolution, and from what I've red so far ( thanks to Another World ) it seems I'll grab the anv edition for XP, only I don't know what it is !
I'll have to do some research it seems......
wink.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
PuyoDead said:
Also, I really feel like this game was a big inspiration to the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus creators.

it was =) you can read articles about how they were influenced.

QUOTE(ARM73 @ Jan 2 2009, 12:59 PM) from what I've red so far ( thanks to Another World ) it seems I'll grab the anv edition for XP, only I don't know what it is !

it is a 15 anv release with a high def rastor background option. it is fully compatible with direct-x controllers. i use my psx controller with a usb plug to play it all the time. there were actually two versions released. one was a box set that contained a music cd and the other is just a direct download. they ask for a modest amount of money to unlock it. the game itself was designed to run in windows XP, but that does not mean it won't work in other versions/virtual installs, etc.

download the demo: http://www.anotherworld.fr/download/AnotherWorld_Demo.exe

the cover art for another world (the one i cut down for my avatar) was painted by chahi. just throwing that out there if anyone cares =).

-another world

dipper145

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
luckily this was on so many other systems, and since i dont have a gba flashcart, I can still play it through emulators.

D

Deleted User

Hadrian Uranium said:
I've yet to complete this, and I've been trying since I first had it on the Amiga so many years ago. An excellent game and the inspiration to "Flashback" & "Blackthorne" (both I'll be lobbying to be future GBAtemp recommends).

I really hope that one day someone will port the sequel "Heart of the Alien" which has only ever been on the Sega CD/Mega CD console. In that game you play as the alien, Buddy.
Now that's what came to my mind when I first saw the screenshots, but I totally forgot the name. Will try this one when my SP is charged (to flash my F2A).

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
JonnyTanna said:
Has anyone managed to get Gil Megidish's version of Another World yet?

i did contact Gil and this is what he had to say...

snipped from a longer responseYeah, it's very sad that I can't release the sources. I respect Eric and I promised him I won't release it. Two years ago I flew to Paris to have a meeting with him and showed him Another World HiRes running on PSP (with broken sound
smile.gif
. It was awesome meeting.

Okay. I gotta start my day!
smile.gif

PS. Foxy was told to remove his version, and was later contracted to do the HiRes version for Windows. There is also another version by Cyx, who only released the sources. But was asked to take them offline as well.

Cheers, mate!
-- gil

i respect his decision but remain disappointed that i can not play the 3d0 version on my gba/nds!

-another world

JonnyTanna

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.JonnyTanna.Com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...