GBAtemp Recommends #83: Monster World IV

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Hadrian, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the 83rd issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This is a weekly feature where we share some our favourite games and the occasional "something else". Some may be well known, others I feel have been ignored but all are fantastic and deserve at least a play.

[​IMG]

SEGA! Y U NO RELEASE SOME GAMES IN THE WEST? Here is another title that was originally only released in Japan, it did however get a release on Virtual Console, PSN & XBLA last year so that's OK, a 18 year wait is better than never.

Monster World IV is the sixth and last title in the Wonder Boy/Monster World series...but isn't part of the Wonder Boy line...but is a sequel to Wonder Boy V: Monster World III (which was called Wonder Boy in Monster World) so yeah whatfuckingever Sega. I could confuse things further by going into the Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse/Bikkuriman games but screw that kettle of fish.

MWIV is a platforming adventure title, and is a little more linear than the previous Monster World titles. You play the part of a young lady called Asha (and not Wonder Boy) who is leaving home for the first time to become a great warrior. There is less backtracking than before and it's also a lot easier too but the gameplay has be refined really well. It controls like a dream, you won't find yourself sliding about and combat has been improved too with your character having different moves to perform.

Added to the gameplay is the ability to use a a special creature called a Pepelogo. Now this thing flies about and helps you out when you need it. So if you need to float to platform, double jump, need a platform...you can use this fella. He is also central to the games plot too and between each dungeon you'll get to know more about his part in the story. This chap is a nice addition to the gameplay though to be honest, I'd rather double jump by myself.

The structure of the game is kinda like a Zelda title, where you'll go to a area and talk to people, collect items you need, buy shit and then you'll go into a castle/dungeon etc and do a ton of platforming, monster battling until you meet a final boss and then rinse and repeat. The levels are very nicely done, especially the platforming parts which keep things interesting though it's not a "binge" game, you may want to do a couple of dungeons, play another game and then go back to it.

The game is very pretty and stands up well even today, for me it's one of the MD/Genesis finest looking titles. Rich brilliantly drawn spirtes and backgrounds make this a delight to look at and the variety in creature and level designs is very high. The sound is top notch and the music is extremely catchy just like in previous titles however the main theme is repeated too much and can get annoying.

Overall this is one of those 90's gems that was way too overlooked and ignored due to it never getting a release in the West back in it's day. The game for me still feels fresh, kinda like a modern indie title or even a GBA/DS title that was created by WayForward, DreamRift and their like. You can find a translated version of the original quite easily or you can you know...buy it on Virtual Console, XBLA or PSN and I recommend that you do because that'll tell Sega that people are still interested in Japanese only released titles.

If you enjoyed this week's edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future. Wanna submit something? Send me a message.

Platform Mega Drive/Wii VC/PSN/XBLA
    Released 1994/2012
    Developer Westone
    Publisher Sega
    Genre Platform Adventure

2. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    And the 4th Wonder Boy title is called Wonder Boy III just like the 3rd Wonder Boy, but with a different subtitle.
    What madmen created this series? Even the licensing is confusing, but did in turn create Adventure Island, and for that I would like to thank these madmen.

I do wonder though how they managed to create a good game while mass confusion was surrounding them like a pack of giggling hyenas.

3. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Hey, it's that thing that Shantae was based on

4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    This game is AWESOME. I played it as soon as the english patch came out back in 200X (can't remember the year).

I love the Monster World series (can't say the same about the normal "Wonder Boy" titles, I find those extremely dull). I still replay regularly MW1, and I've completed MW2 and MW3 years ago too.

Highly recommended to anyone since they're some of the first ARPG around.

5. Pablitox

Pablitox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 18, 2011
    Argentina
    oh boy, i remember playing this game, it was really cool

i never finished it tough, never knew there was a translation!

im gonna play it again!

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
  7. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    It's available in English officially since 2012 and the translation is far better..

A neat little secret that went undiscovered for years (part of the reason was because the fan-made patch broke it, unlike the official 2012 release and, well, the original Japanese game)...
    If you don't talk ever to save men or to the queen, then jump to the right of the entrance of the palace to reach the empty area with the bushes... you'll find a merchant selling some quite interesting items. No worries about the money, since he gives you 9999G each time you talk to him.

I loved that game. Was one of the first Genesis games I played, didn't even know English back then, but since it was in Japanese, I would go all the way to the Mute Tower and get stuck there :lol: so I played MW3 and the other Genesis classics instead then got the patch and finally finished it.

One of my foundest childhood memories. First game I played in Japanese, First game I played fan-translated, and the first fan-translation project that I made myself.

I recommend A Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS for anyone who liked this one.

raulpica likes this.
  8. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Sounds a bit iffy for me since I don't like Zelda: but, it looks and sounds like it would be better than that.

9. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I saw my brother playing a translation patch of this on his Everdrive, and was really impressed by this game, no doubt about it.
    Now that I've got my GCW Zero I intend to play this soon, it should be a superb title to play through.

It's very curious that this game got an official translation for download services, 18 years after the original release! There are still fan translations out there, but the official translation has since been extracted from the VC release on the Wii. My brother even tried out the official translation on real hardware using his Everdrive, and it works!

10. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    i recall beating the translation version of this. should i buy the psn version to see if there's any difference's?