GBAtemp Quiz #3 Open!

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
Thug4L1f3 said:
Regarding question 25, remove the '2' and the question is OK. Sorry about that.
I will say it refers to the first ENGLISH release as there is no Golden Sun 2 in Japan, if we wanted to know that it would say: Ougon no Taiyou: Ushinawareshi Toki.
unfortunately, this information comes too late for anyone who's already submitted their entries. the question should have clearly stated english release in the way that it was phrased. the people taking the quiz shouldn't have to assume, especially considering that other (jp) releases have been listed with their english name counterparts.
I'm backing thieves' argument. #25 was not clear and very unspecific.
I wouldn't mind as much if it was just a trick question and anybody who got it right had to see through the trick, but now that you release this information and a big hint, it gives everyone else an unfair advantage.

I don't mean to rant here, but GBATemp should really rethink how they deploy these quizzes. The same events occur every time: Typos, errors, discussion, wiki edits, clarification in the thread, changes to the questions, and people get screwed.
I think once the quiz is up, it should stay exactly how it is until it's over. Otherwise, not everyone is taking the same quiz. It's like having a race where 5 people have to urn a mile and 5 have to run half a mile.

ANOTHER GREAT ANALOGY
Your high school chemistry teacher gave your first period class a quiz with a bunch of errors on it, and your class got them all wrong. She realizes her mistakes during her lunch period and fixes them all up for her 6th and 7th period classes. They get them all right and break the curve for your class. So you are stuck with a 65% while the students in the other classes have 80-95%. You would be pretty ticked off, wouldn't you?
These quizzes screw people over the same way game and computer companies do to early adopters. "The early bird get the worm" doesn't even apply anymore.

GBATemp has to disallow discussion about the questions entirely and not edit the quiz or release any info/hints after it is are up.

tl;dr: Read the bold stuff.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Helmut said:
Watch out ! Some people found fun to modify wikipedia GBA's page with false information ! That's really child-play and an infraction to wikipedia's rules. I corrected it back.
yer, saw it last night
they changed release dates and such (on the right info panel)
however, they were stupid enough to leave the info on the left alone (which was correct)

QUOTE(cerenade @ Jul 17 2008, 02:53 PM) do winners get notified by pm or e-mail or something different?
they will be posted on the front page (I dont know if you get a PM or not, havnt won
tongue.gif
)

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
cerenade said:
do winners get notified by pm or e-mail or something different?
Instead of wanting to be emailed, you should just come to GBATemp everyday and post useful things(Some people spam). I don't want you to leave like the many other people who joined for a quick freebeeeeee...

Just saying... It'd be nicer if most of the people who came actually stayed. I saw a few last quiz.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, man, I didnt think people would try to cheat so badly....

It's horrible.

Anyways, if any mod or such reads this, can I get an answer:

Me and my friend Steven both entered this quiz, but it was at a public library.

I noticed today that the IP is checked for each participant- will this effect me in any way?

Especially since the PUBLIC library could have quite a few participants...

I'm confident I got most of them right, too.....

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't figure out what they edited on the E Reader wiki page. The line about who licensed the dot code technology is still the same in the edit and in the june history of e reader. Was the cheater really that stupid and not edit the right part of the article?
blink.gif

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I think I'm havign a bit of confusion as to the total number of colors displayable by the GBA... oh well if it doesn't go my way I'll just shove it in their face.
biggrin.gif

Akuma147

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is question 14 a trick question? There has been a revision since a certain system came out. There's an original number and a revised number for that certain system only and it's also called Player's Choice.

Helmut

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
golden said:
I can't figure out what they edited on the E Reader wiki page. The line about who licensed the dot code technology is still the same in the edit and in the june history of e reader. Was the cheater really that stupid and not edit the right part of the article?
blink.gif

They added a (false) manufacturer to the e-reader. They obviously didn't noticed we were looking for scanning technology owner, not the manufacturer.

RebelX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I read a bunch of stuff about Wiki edits, can someone clarify this for me?!?!?!

And like someone said before, the very last question was extremely vague... I guessed.

I already have an M3DS Real so it's not really a big deal if I lose xD but I just want to know what happened...

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RebelX said:
Wait, I read a bunch of stuff about Wiki edits, can someone clarify this for me?!?!?!

And like someone said before, the very last question was extremely vague... I guessed.

I already have an M3DS Real so it's not really a big deal if I lose xD but I just want to know what happened...
Some people edit wikipedia so people who go to wikipedia have no chance of winning.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:
RebelX said:

Some people edit wikipedia so people who go to wikipedia have no chance of winning.
except they can just go to an older wiki page and get the correct answers.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Akuma147 said:
Is question 14 a trick question? There has been a revision since a certain system came out. There's an original number and a revised number for that certain system only and it's also called Player's Choice.
QUOTE(bobrules @ Jul 17 2008, 02:21 PM) since it's a gba quiz I'm assuming it's for gba.
I think I just missed one...
unsure.gif

Oh well, good luck to everyone. Was hoping I would have a gift for a friend...

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neonix said:
thieves like us said:
Thug4L1f3 said:
Regarding question 25, remove the '2' and the question is OK. Sorry about that.
I will say it refers to the first ENGLISH release as there is no Golden Sun 2 in Japan, if we wanted to know that it would say: Ougon no Taiyou: Ushinawareshi Toki.
unfortunately, this information comes too late for anyone who's already submitted their entries. the question should have clearly stated english release in the way that it was phrased. the people taking the quiz shouldn't have to assume, especially considering that other (jp) releases have been listed with their english name counterparts.
I'm backing thieves' argument. #25 was not clear and very unspecific.
I wouldn't mind as much if it was just a trick question and anybody who got it right had to see through the trick, but now that you release this information and a big hint, it gives everyone else an unfair advantage.

ANOTHER GREAT ANALOGY said:
Your high school chemistry teacher gave your first period class a quiz with a bunch of errors on it, and your class got them all wrong. She realizes her mistakes during her lunch period and fixes them all up for her 6th and 7th period classes. They get them all right and break the curve for your class. So you are stuck with a 65% while the students in the other classes have 80-95%. You would be pretty ticked off, wouldn't you?
These quizzes screw people over the same way game and computer companies do to early adopters. "The early bird get the worm" doesn't even apply anymore.

GBATemp has to disallow discussion about the questions entirely and not edit the quiz or release any info/hints after it is are up.

tl;dr: Read the bold stuff.
QUOTE(neonix @ Jul 17 2008, 11:48 AM)
I don't mean to rant here orly..but this is exactly what you are doing, but GBATemp should really rethink how they deploy these quizzes. The same events occur every time: Typos, errors, discussion, wiki edits GBAtemp staff have NOTHING TO DO with this. they cant stop cheaters from going to wiki and editing, clarification in the thread, changes to the questions, and people get screwed.
I think once the quiz is up, it should stay exactly how it is until it's over. i dont think they were planning to take it off anyway. they KNOW the mistakes they made Otherwise, not everyone is taking the same quiz. It's like having a race where 5 people have to urn a mile and 5 have to run half a mile.
wow. its not a big deal. CHILLAX. TAKE A CHILL PILL. really. its for a FREE flashcart. the analogy about the grade isnt that great anymore now is it? and anyways, if you would quit being such a whiner (im assuming you answered #25 wrong, and got pissed off after seeing what thug wrote), you should take the time to think (yes, even YOU can do that...hopefully without hurting yourself) about the last competition with the quiz for the acekard 2. there was a question that was controversial and had more than one answer. and the staff took that into consideration (like omg, wow, right?) and omitted that question. people who got that wrong and got the rest right were still eligible.
seriously. the staff isnt stupid and inconsiderate. they WILL cancel the controversial questions with "wrong answers."
sheesh. people's these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: who is lizzo?