GBAtemp one off portal survey- most disappointing DS game

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe 999? Got hyped up pretty hard on the internet, then when I check it out it's a poorly written point and click game. Maybe I didn't get far enough to see how good it could be, but that writing was so bad. It was like a 12 year old writing fanfiction levels of bad.

I could probably think of a ton of other games I was disappointed in, but that's the main one I can think of. I usually love that sort of game, too (the Cing games on DS, Broken Sword, etc)
People have different views, but I completely disagree with you. The writing of the script, obviously took a lot of effort and a lot of hard work. In my opinion, it surpasses the Cing games' storylines such as Hotel Dusk. I know you have an opinion, but I greatly suggest you play the game to actually get a feel of how good the storyline is, it's one of my favourite DS games.

As for my most disappointed game, it would probably be Bleach 4th, the previous games were great, but this...

PriMieon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the key disappointment of all DS titles would have to be Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

What should have been a stellar sequel to Superstar Saga, the game was actually quite a frustrating bore.
There were so few secrets to be found and ironically, for a focus on time travelling, a very linear progression. You could barely explore the surroundings and the present time basically had no exploration, such a wasted opportunity.
The battle system was an absolute step down. With the added in baby Mario brothers, who had severely lacking stats compared to their adult counterparts, lacking in capabilities and annoying button mapping (always to X and Y even when alone), having to account for four players simultaneously in the thick of battles was absolutely horrible, Superstar saga worked because it has two characters, and they knew this when they designed Bowser's Inside Story.
One of the biggest problems was the removal of bros maneuvers, or special attacks. In their place came items, a very poor design choice.

I never made the effort to finish the game because it was just so dull, the battles truly were unfun to play just because of the babies. Any time that Mario and Luigi were fighting alone was a blessing.

Edit: I think the other major Mario related disappointment was Yoshi's Island DS, a very generic sequel to the classic Yoshi's Island.
Someone else can write up about what was so wrong with that game, I couldn't even bother to play it past the second world.
I thought Mario and Luigi was super fun. Yoshi's island was very fun too.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sonic Chronicles. After seeing what a creative approach can do with Mario (Paper Mario games, M&L games) and seeing it's developed by Bioware, my hopes were pretty high. And, of course, they missed the shot, big-time.

Reactions: 1 person

gillman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found metroid prime hunters to have the best online play out of any DS games I've played. Yeah the single player was meh at best, which probably turned some people off considering what metroid is known for, but I felt like the multiplayer made up for it.

I agree with people saying patners in time sucked. It's clear that they knew they messed up when the third game basically went back to roots. Managing the babies was handled poorly.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
time hollow , best graphics and history i ever saw for a investigations game , i hate it because when chapter 2 begins ,my emulator freeze:(

but seriously , star fox comand , well , it is boring

everything else is good

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually found metroid prime hunters to have the best online play out of any DS games I've played. Yeah the single player was meh at best, which probably turned some people off considering what metroid is known for, but I felt like the multiplayer made up for it.

I agree with people saying patners in time sucked. It's clear that they knew they messed up when the third game basically went back to roots. Managing the babies was handled poorly.

I think the whole concept of Partners in Time was rather horrible but the story was decent, Bowsers Inside Story really redeemed the franchise though. To be quite honest, I disliked the whole constantly having to switch between Mario and Luigi plus handling the babies during some parts of the game, then having to deal with double button jamming to do like dual hammer swings or jumps, it got very rage inducing in Partners in Time.

JackSakamoto

Bad Ending Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess, Final Fantasy Chronicles : Echoes of Time, can enter in this category.
The Wii/DS WiFi/wireless gameplay would be fun,except if the Wii version wouldn't be ugly.
Even if I liked this game on DS,and played with friends on DS,also,the Wii/DS system could be really good.
But,as SSBB,the Wifi servers sucks.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My biggest disappointments:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn: I was surprised to not see this one mentioned until a few pages in. I mean, most who have played the GBA Golden Sun games found them to be great. They actually had some challenge, decent music, a decent story, and secrets that were worth going after. After those two titles, it took most of the last decade to release a title on the best selling handheld of all time, only to screw it up. The story was garbage, the points of no return were bogus, the characters were shit, and the entire thing concluded indecisively and abruptly. I mean, the game ended on a cliffhanger, and now the developer doesn't even think they'll bother with a fourth game. Dark Dawn is one of the biggest disappointments on the DS that I've encountered by so very far.

The LoZ DS games: Might as well judge them equally, since Spirit Tracks is just Phantom Hourglass with a train instead of a boat. Annoying touchscreen controls were enough to really damage the experience (not necessarily bad, just unnecessary). The stories weren't that great. I mean, more generic than the average Zelda storyline? You dun goof'd. I know most of us don't really play Zelda for the story, but when you screw up the action portion, the story better at least be decent to keep me interested. Nope! These are easily some of the worst Zelda games out there. I think Spirit Tracks was actually more disappointing, since we were all hoping that they had actually learned from Phantom Hourglass. Guess not.
the golden sun series are the best rpg i ever played ,but DD was bad XD , the only thing that i liked was liquifier....

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would say Golden Sun : Dark Dawn.

It's not a bad game, but the plot goes absolutely everywhere, and in the end you aren't even doing what you were supposed to do, doing something completely different instead. And the ending is a complete let down, since apparently, we won't be seeing a sequel if we follow what Camelot said...

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sonic Chronicles. After seeing what a creative approach can do with Mario (Paper Mario games, M&L games) and seeing it's developed by Bioware, my hopes were pretty high. And, of course, they missed the shot, big-time.
Not really having played a lot of Bioware games yet back then, and I'm not a huge fan of sonic either, I found this game to be fun. I played through it multiple times.

my biggest disappointment would have to be the Kingdom hearts games. I absolutely loved the PS2 games, yet I somehow can't sit through the DS games.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aliens: Infestation
The game was well executed gameplay-wise. The controls were pretty solid and everything was there to make it great. Graphics weren't the best but the whole experience seemed like it was gonna fill a metroidvania void. Then the game ended. The worst part of the game is it is too damn short. It also lacked any hype or marketing of any kind. No one really knows about it so it sits in the bargain bin with shovelware and ppl still don't buy it. Bad advertising and shortness is what deprived this game of the true potential and popularity it could've had.

silversonic1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yoshi Touch and Go.
Nintendo sold people a Demo that they never truely fleshed out into a full game. It could have been so much more, but Nintendo seems to have lost interest in their green dino.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yoshi Touch and Go.
Nintendo sold people a Demo that they never truely fleshed out into a full game. It could have been so much more, but Nintendo seems to have lost interest in their green dino.

I bought the retail copy of that not long after it was released, I have never felt so ripped off before. I agree.

Impulse buy ftl.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who like Spirit Track? I thought they had one of the best puzzles and the touch screen controls was a nice addition to me. I don't think the touch screen was an issue, but rather the stylus is. I used an aluminum stylus and is very conformable.

BumperTROLOLOL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most dissapointing game IMO Was Zelda The Phantom Hourglass
The touch screen controls honestly sucked
Story doesnt make sense with previous Zelda games
Little link SERIOUSLY WTF?!?!
That is all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==