GBAtemp Nintendo Switch Live hands-on coverage

358975-switch-handson.png

GBAtemp will be going hands-on with the Nintendo Switch today (Friday 13th) between 3-7pm GMT! :switch:

Keep watching and refreshing this thread for live updates from the event where we'll be sharing our thoughts and impressions on the Switch and all the newest games!
(Tweets in next post)

Have any questions you'd like us to try and answer? Comment in this thread or tweet us and we'll do our best to reply.

:arrow: Follow us on Twitter for instant updates!

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
they invited gbatemp admin? really?
do they know what we are doing here?:creep::creep::tpi::tpi::creep::tpi::creep:
We, as in the staff don't do anything, we just allow members to talk about what they want. It's not down to us if you choose to talk about piracy and we will not moderate legal discussions. So why wouldn't they invite us? Look at all of the free publicity they have garnered from it.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We, as in the staff don't do anything, we just allow members to talk about what they want. It's not down to us if you choose to talk about piracy and we will not moderate legal discussions. So why wouldn't they invite us? Look at all of the free publicity they have garnered from it.
well as staff you still made forums named 3ds hacking and homebrew, wii u hacking and backup loader...
so maybe you dont release exploit but you encourage those who made them

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
gbatemp might have lot of users hacking their consoles, it's still a website covering gaming news. a lot of people are reading this website with legal reasons in mind, we have many official reviews from publishers.
Million of views on a known website is always good publicity. lot of people here are buying their games too, they are not all pirates. who would pass on (free) advertising to gamers?

You wouldn't have known London had an exhibit if it weren't posted here!

Last edited by Cyan,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch gaming without the joy connected to the joycon base or switch be like:

Edit: Gonna need a circle pad pro type accessory at $20 to adapt it to playable size.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by stl25,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gbatemp might have lot of users hacking their consoles, it's still a website covering gaming news. a lot of people are reading this website with legal reasons in mind, we have many official reviews from publishers.
Million of views on a known website is always good publicity. lot of people here are buying their games too, they are not all pirates. who would pass on (free) advertising to gamers?

You wouldn't have known London had an exhibit if it weren't posted here!

Agreed, I didn't know there was a London exhibit until I saw this thread lol. I may come here for the more grey stuff, but I enjoy reading and catching up on video game news :P

Reactions: Chary

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask how saves will work, by game cart storage like 3DS or on internal storage or SD like a good system should. :creep:

Sick of this encrypted files nonsense for save data that i can't back up. :glare:

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gbatemp need to change the logo to two sets of four bottons.
The switch will be worth it, at least for the moment.

Last edited by Yil,

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, after getting hands on time with the Switch here are my various impressions.
  • The various hardware I got hands-on with felt well built (no surprise here) with a nice matte finish
  • Switch unit with joycons attached felt around 800 grams, not light but not heavy, but was hard to judge as it was a tethered unit.
  • Weight distribution felt spot-on.
  • Screen was very nice, bright vivid colours and a crisp image, though black levels were lacking and uneven. I might have mistook it for 1080p if it wasn't confirmed to be 720p.
  • The dock provides zero extra power but does enable the clock speed to increase as it is unrestrained by the battery
  • The dock houses the HDMI and power cables under a flap which covers the cable connections and allows the cables to trail through the side of the unit and out which keeps things neat.
  • No proprietary cables! USB-C is a great addition
  • Buttons are smaller than those found on the PS4 or Xbox one controllers, especially the analogue sticks which feel more like those found on the Vita
  • Triggers are all digital and have almost zero travel
  • Face buttons are clicky and not mushy, remind me of the buttons found on the original Nintendo DS
  • The analogue sticks can be clicked in
  • The small - and + on the top of the joycons are in fact buttons but it's unclear what they are used for
  • The joycon grip controller is quite small - thought it would be bigger
  • HD Rumble was most impressive in the 1 2 Switch mini-game "Ball Count" in which you must hold the joycon horizontally to determine how many balls are inside by tilting the joycon. The HD rumble was particularly impressive in this demo with it genuinely feeling like the balls are rolling from side to side and hitting the internal walls of the unit.
  • While the HD rumble is impressive on certain games (see above) such as where the joycons are being held individually - but when attached to the main unit or the joycon grip, the rumble is almost non existent and provides nowhere near the feedback like that of regular rumble motors in traditional controllers. It felt like a muted buzzing rather than a shaking rumble
  • Previous Wii (U) accessories are not (at least currently) compatible with the Switch
  • Zelda BOTW was beautiful from an artistic perspective - not so much from a technical. Certain moments shined but overall very aliased with low quality textures and lack of shadows in certain scenes. We were told this was an old build and not optimised for Switch but it was being showcased at their event so it's hard to say what to expect.
  • Zelda's frame-rate was not great - inconsistent throughout and at times I'd say it was hitting 15fps on the lowest dips.
  • From a gameplay stand-point, Zelda was a huge step-up from previous titles. The world appeared massive and the environmental interactivity was much higher than previous games.
  • Mario Odyssey was unplayable but my impressions are mixed - seeing Mario run around a realistic looking city with NPCs not styled to fit the Mario universe reminds me far too much of Sonic 06 and just doesn't sit well with me. Which is a shame as the other environments looked great and we even spotted the lion from Super Mario Land!
Sorry for the text-dump but it's late and I wanted to get my immediate impressions out. I'm sure there's not much there that hasn't already been said elsewhere but hope some of you may find something interesting.

Thanks to Thug for planning the event and Nintendo for providing us the opportunity.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only have to pay 30€ reserving deposit on GameStop?
Ugh... I... kind of... will... buy... now...
Hell! No! Wait! A couple of days at least, I should wait perhaps until February!
(damn difficult to control the consumist impulse)
How do you buy from Gamespot? Do they ship to Argentina?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also managed to return.

More stuff to come but for now you can have the result of me sacrificing some of my zelda demo time (I opted for the refusal of the call path and died in under 1 minute from the showpiece scene as you leave the cave).

switch_comp_1.JPG

switch_comp_2.JPG

I did look at my vernier and micrometer collection but decided against it.

Got a look at the back label of the device in the case as well.
switch_back.JPG

15V 2.6A input it reckons. The USBs have nice blue things at the bottom so presumably USB 3.something.
Someone asked about wifi. Judging by that then 5Ghz range for something, not sure if that is internals or actual wifi as I did not manage to pack my spectrum analyser.

My dpad for Zelda was as you see and off centre, also quite rough (they will probably say grippy) finish. The little baton things were quite small in some configurations, not unplayably so but noticeable. The switch unit I had for the demo was also quite warm around where that vent was.

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a livestream going on in japan with rock music for nintendo switch games or old wiiu games that are technically going to be ported to the switch

Nintendo Switch Experience Meeting 2017 (Day 1)
Nintendo Switch 体験会 2017(1日目)

Last edited by pietempgba,
Reactions: ItsKipz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...