GBAtemp Game of the Year 2016 - Round One

image.jpeg

GBAtemp's GOTY 2016 - Round 1...FIGHT!

Welcome to GBAtemp's 2nd annual game of the year voting thread! It's time to pick what you think was the best release of 2016, all the way from A to Z! The staff has agreed upon 50 games which will be up in the poll above so that the community can choose their favorite title from 2016. Out of the 50 listed, 25 of these games will be making it to round 2. For this round, you can choose 5. Happy voting!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This list really shows what a shitty year this was for games. I mean we got some good ones but nothing worthy of screaming game of the year from the rooftops.
Closest was Zero Time Dilemma, which I was happy with but it definitely wasn't as amazing as the previous two titles since they kind of blew open a lot of the 'mystery' of it. Which had to be done for the story, but still.

also lol'd. Should never include pokemon on the list.
Lets be honest, it was pokemon. Nothing amazing about it, nothing special. It was actually worse even by pokemon standards with a very dialogue heavy unskippable story that had unbearable characters and absolutely no depth or interest. On top of that they scrapped gyms with their cute little puzzles and gimmicks to instead push you through a few battles with 1 or 2 types of pokemon and then a shiny big pokemon who could summon a few pets. Z-moves were a retarded addition and I actually refused to use them the entire game. The only notable improvements were of course to IV training, breeding and shiny capturing. But that's about it.

Some cool games this year. I wish I could've voted for Dishonored 2 because I know it's amazing, but I haven't been able to play it yet qq. But yeah nothing blow your balls off amazing. I'd probably give GOTY to Overwatch just for being an incredibly fun, balanced and polished team based class based shooter.

Fire Emblem Fates was fun. Mechanically very fun. Story was meh. It was too one sided and a lot of it didn't really make sense. Nohr was completely fucking bonkers and in no world was their side ever the right one to pick. Hoshido was the clear right path, and even then it ended up being pretty stupid because your Nohr family throws all fucking thought and reason out the window.

Civ VI fixed a lot of problems from V and an overall really fun and polished game. AI still shit though so more emphasis on multiplayer would've been cool. It's still pretty hard to do without dedicating 5-7 hours or more, if you pick the fast mode.

Dark Souls 3 is Dark Souls. It's good, it's polished, it's fun as hell.

Wish I could've played Tokyo Mirage Sessions too. Seemed to be fun gameplay wise.

Come on guys we all know the best game of 2016 was Mighty No. 9

It wasn't a bad game by any stretch. Functionally actually quite fun, it just wasn't anything like Mega Man which is what it was supposed to be mimicking. It was a very, very, very loose spiritual successor. But yeah, was a good game in its own right.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

Xen0

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bravely Second needs more votes. I mean it is by far the best RPG on 3DS and the fighting system is the best one I know._.

Reactions: Ricken

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: Chary

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
As much as i hoped for a Doom that resembles the original atmosphere and pace (important) this one was a disappointment for me. Definitely closer than Doom 3, but still not "Doom" enough for me. :(

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
My votes:

- Fire Emblem Fates. I disagree with the business practises involved with splitting the game, especially when a complete edition of the game is scalped and made impossible to buy anywhere in this bloody city, but the game itself was fantastic, and seeing the story from various angles did add a lot of depth.

- Monster Hunter Generations. A bit short by MH standards but the addition of the hunting styles and arts takes te gameplay to an entirely different level. I never used Greatswords before, too slow for my tastes, but hunting in Aerial or Bushido (Adept) style offsets that. So I always have a new combination to try out.

- Stardew Valley. Insanely derivative of Harvest Moon of course, but done fanastically well and dealing with more adult themes than HM's squeaky clean Nintendo characters. You'd never see trailer trash alcoholics and dumpster-diving homeless people in a Harvest Moon game. That and I had to give it a vote since it basically murdered my social life in cold blood.

- Uncharted 4. It didn't have as many stand out memorable moments than say, Uncharted 2, but even the weakest Uncharted game is still leagues better than most of the dross. Great way to draw the series to a close.

- Doom. Because of the Doomslayer's complete inability to give a fuck. No pissing about with convoluted plots and gimmicks. Just here's a shotgun, there's some demons, you can figure the rest out on your own. Pure gaming fun with none of the pointless tassels and fluff. No dicking around. Big fuckin' guns, heavy fuckin' metal, and carving things up with the most bitchin' chainsaw in gaming history. A great reminder of all we've lost as gaming matures, and that sometimes all you need is a basic concept done right.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Voting for Fire Emblem Fates. Pokemon Sun/Moon and Severed.
Not using all 5 votes because I haven't played that many of the games there lol

Reactions: Lightyose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fucking wifi been dipping all day