GBAtemp Game of the Year 2016 - Round One

image.jpeg

GBAtemp's GOTY 2016 - Round 1...FIGHT!

Welcome to GBAtemp's 2nd annual game of the year voting thread! It's time to pick what you think was the best release of 2016, all the way from A to Z! The staff has agreed upon 50 games which will be up in the poll above so that the community can choose their favorite title from 2016. Out of the 50 listed, 25 of these games will be making it to round 2. For this round, you can choose 5. Happy voting!

KanterZ

Modder.
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, Final Fantasy XV, Fire Emblem Fates, Monster Hunter Generations, Pokemon Sun and Moon

LET'S GO BOIIS

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's no doubt in my mind that DOOM should win GOTY - it's the best FPS in years. Besides that I also voted Deus Ex because it's Deus Ex and XCOM 2 because it's amazing. The rest of the list consists of games I didn't play and ones that are mediocre, generic or garbage-tier for bottom-feeders. ;O;

EDIT: I'm adding Overwatch to the list of acceptable games - it's fun.

D

Deleted_11405

I did wanted to vote for the games i bought this summer till winter this year

Dark Souls 3 (have not touched/played the game yet)

Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- (have not touched/played the game yet)

No Man's Sky ( did played it a couple of times)

(reason is that i'm addicted to one game on ps4:The Crew Calling all units and haven 't took the time to try em out)

i was just wondering how those games where, because it looked pretty much like new experience.

there aint so many other really strong released ones i think, because games are so much different to really say which ones do tops it over all.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Kinda sad VA-11 HALL-A isn't in there! :(

And predictably, Pokémon is winning. Oh well.

*leaves the room, slamming the door*
Why didn't you tell me beforehand?! I totally forgot about VA-11 HALL-A was a thing, please forgive me :cry:
It still would have been robbed by Pokemon anyways though

Why is pokemon prism not on the list?

Also where's yokai watch 2?
First one isn't an official game. Perhaps next year we should look into a Fan Game of the Year?
We don't talk about Yokai Watch 2 :angry:

I swear to god, if you guys pick pokemon...
At least take solace Splatoon didn't win last year...still better than yw2...

Voted for three but I don't expect anything sensible to win after last years 'Undertale' Fiasco.

And where is World of Final Fantasy? Surely that's a more significant release than some of the straight-to-DVD guff on that list.
That one slipped my mind as well, but I still think the list is competent. Everything on there was well received and generally a solid release barring the Nintendo fluff.

Gamecube one of the best? I will give it has aged far better than the N64 ever did (I am tempted to do the N64 was a failure thing again
I demand that either you or @Foxi4 do an article/retrospective about the N64 flubbing it. I want those fanboy tears!

Like in the last year thread, here is my year's completed game list:
Dang you played a lot of good games, nice! I was still conflicted about ROTTR, since it's official release was last year, despite the population at large playing it this year. I guess in the end it's moot point; Pokemon is completely dominating.

Reactions: Foxi4

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dang you played a lot of good games, nice!
3 or 4 years ago, I decided to stop playing many games at the same time, and stop starting a new one before completing the others.
I then decided I will play only 2 games at a time :
- 1 on console at home
- 1 on handheld at my work's launch break.
I forced myself to NOT play anything else until the game was completed. based on that, It forced me to complete the games if I wanted to start another one, AND it forced me to pick games better because I knew I would have to complete it before starting another one.

Then came PSVR ... and I broke my chain, I tried lot of games at once and completed none :(
I should start again my resolution next year. I find it's a good way to (finally) complete games I want to play for a very long time.
there are a lot of games I want to play, but I'll have to make choices. I end playing games 1-2 years after everyone, but I complete them.

Reactions: osaka35 and Chary

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Same like Cyan i dont have that Time to play that much Games but i cant decide wich game is the best this year.
The only Game 2016 game that ive played this year was Final Fantasy XV all other games were just remakes of other games.
My actual playing list is still 2015 XD

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not big into fps (first person shooter) games, so with my limited time i tend to only play handheld.

bravely second felt a lot less fresh than the first game, but was still loads of fun.

pokemon was fun too, felt like a soft reboot in how they handled the pokedex. it's nice two or three generations can enjoy it, and i quite look forward to the mods and ineviteable Switch version.

i'll get around to doom and the others of the ilk when they're 5 bucks on amazon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum