OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp game of the week- week #1
Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime
Welcome to the first of the GBAtemp book game clubs, in these threads we will suggest a game for you all to play on the systems we tend to cover (it might be a hidden gem, it might be a game that was popular early on, it might be a new release, it might be a new hack to such a game, it might be a couple of games to contrast and it might be something else entirely- we will always aim to make it interesting though) and a few days later we will make a thread in which you and everybody else can discuss or review the game you just played.[/p]

The first game up is
Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime

go1194.png

GBAtemp release thread

This game hit North America in September 2006 having first appeared in Japan in December 2005, it is a spinoff of the dragon quest series although it assumes/requires absolutely no knowledge of the main series. The game itself is an action adventure/platform puzzler type game and at time of release it was very popular but history seems to have left it behind and that is shame so here at the GBAtemp book game club we are shining a light on it once more. There was a GBA game before it (that never appeared outside Japan in any capacity yet) and a 3ds sequel is due out later this year.[/p]

Japanese TV spot
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1uEi0-LEk[/youtube]​

discuss.png
Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Great idea! This book game club looks really good, i'll definitely be joining in! BTW what games will it be? NDS only? NDS + Wii? Only Ninty? All games?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What systems- we have every intention of making this a regular feature so it will likely be focused on DS for now with the occasional offshoot into the GBA and GC/Wii- it can reasonably be assumed most people here have DS capabilities but wii and GBA (although emulation has been awesome pretty much since the start) is a bit more of an ask as are other consoles.

No plans to restrict it to any one publisher/developer or even commercial games although homebrew stuff will have to be special and we have probably already covered it in some of the homebrew threads ( http://gbatemp.net/t165584-gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-5 ).

Likewise I at least am not really the person to ask how things might work with the public at large so we are also keeping things open for now (so far the idea is "suggest games to play- give the option for a discussion a few days later" aka a book club but for games) and will try to refine/pin down a working formula as time goes on. It is very much intended as a community thing though rather than the staff listing/reviewing something of note.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Pretty good choice! This one is one of the most underrated and over-looked DS games that are pretty awesome. Also waiting for the 3DS sequel as some poster said... I hope it manages to get to the US.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
emigre said:
Will GBAtemp reccomends homebrew ever make a return? I found them very informative and found some really good gems.

I did have one more on shooters that I never quite got in postable form but I have posted various parts from over the last year (I covered the various versions of tohou, Warhawk DS, OpenTyrian DS (the wii has a few as well), Retrorocket, World Reborn, Superwings and the various things foxysoft has done) but it fell through the cracks. Between the homebrew bounty and the DS slowly coming to a close it or something like it might well return though.

Back on topic glad those of you that have played it before like the choice of game (hopefully your worlds will convince others to give it a spin)- thought we might kick things off with a bang. If you have not played it in a while do have another spin through it though- it has been many years since it hit and several other examples of the genre have since appeared so the question of does it hold up or indeed show up everything that follows as a pretender?

Slasher Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I haven't much played it before cuz i thought it was cheesy but actually i felt this was gonna be an awesome
game but in one of the screen shots it said press L and or R i think so i left it cuz the L button was functioning
and i took it to maintenance center for 3 times they all say they fixed it and it doesn't work .

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
This game is BRILLIANT. I loved it, bought it the day it came out (albeit by accident, was looking for a game when I saw it being unboxed and shelved) and have always loved it.

Quirky, charming, cute, good replay value, great "Collect things" system (Does not get repetitive until you start trying to recruit Goody Bags into your team LOL), and the story is entertaining, with so many cute colourful characters.

I have tried playing the GBA prequel, but it's not as fun.
wink.gif
I am looking forward to 3. I HOPE it's released here stateside.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m_babble said:
Easily one of my favorite DS games.

Holy cow, you stole the words right out of my mouth. I was just about to post that Rocket Slime is easily one of my favorite and most beloved DS games. It has one of the very best translations, and that's saying a lot, since Square Enix usually does better than most in that regard. The sense of humor is simply excellent. There are oodles and oodles of silly puns that work well, and heck -- there are platypunks galore! You can't ask for more than that. But they managed to make the game fun as all hell on top of everything else Rocket Slime does right.

Anyway, I see I'm not the only one who loves this game. I think all you have to do is be exposed to it to fall in love.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This has to be one of my favorite DS games. Can't wait for the sequel
smile.gif
But it sucks how the first game in the series (GBA) was never localized.

And this book game club has a great start. I wonder what's coming up next.

portezbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great game and a worth first game of the week. I wish it had been a bit harder, but otherwise it was unique and fun and original.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, this might make me pick up my DS again.

Also, wouldn't it be more convenient to just add the release title into this thread so that you don't have people going "HOW DO I FIND IT?!" or anything like that? And yes I know the link is there, but I'm willing to wager a lot of people will not pay any attention to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-