GBAtemp Exclusive: WiiScrubber

thegame16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
thats a awesome tool . some uploaders already use it ! (saw a 1.3 gb upload of endless ocean!)
bow.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
whats the point in keeping the Wii iso on your hard drive? you have it burned to a dvd, why keep it there? unless you need to seed back on a private tracker but apart from that pointless.

also why should people have to go through all this stuff to play a Wii lso just because your internet connection is crap?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
whats the point in keeping the Wii iso on your hard drive? you have it burned to a dvd, why keep it there? unless you need to seed back on a private tracker but apart from that pointless.
To keep a backup of the backup. Say the disc gets scratched beyond repair or is lost.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
also why should people have to go through all this stuff to play a Wii lso just because your internet connection is crap?
You are fairly smug about your connection. Some of us don't have such luxuries as yourself and I for one am limited to 60gigs of traffic a month so any reduction in file size suits me just fine. And what is all the hassle in un-raring the files and burning them?

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick update to let people know why the 1.0a should be better - for future use.

The version 1.0 overwrites all of the unused sector data with 0xFF. The 1.0a version only overwrites the data content of the 32k sector. It leaves the SHA bytes intact.

The layout of the Wii disc means that the SHA block signatures are all referenced/checked by the signed global hash table.

One of the things that Nintendo could do in a firmware update is do a few random sector reads to see if the SHAs match what is expected in the hash table. If not then there is an 'issue' and a potentially dodgy disc.

By keeping the sha blocks of the sectors intact this check should now pass
smile.gif

However.....

If a block was marked as unused and then 'scrubbed' it would be possible for the *program on the disc* to check for the actual data content in the sector. The reason this is an issue is that the content of the descrambled block would not then match the expected contents.

However 2......

Since it is now possible to extract the application you can then disassemble it to check for direct sector access and, in a future revision of the scrubber software, mark that block as used - preserving the data integrity and so pass the applications check - without having to change the disc applications code.

Just some musings.....

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
While it's great it reduces the file size drastically, what can we use it for if we cannot make any Wii-multigame DVDs? ...or are we able to?

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
While it's great it reduces the file size drastically, what can we use it for if we cannot make any Wii-multigame DVDs? ...or are we able to?

We are not. YET.

And wiiscrubber doesn't take us any closer. It's a completely different thing.

But maybe one day ...

I know, but Wiiscrubber certainly helps in the whole multigame-DVD concept, since we are now able to shrink the ISO size considerably for multiple games to be on a 4.7 GB DVD.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

We are not. YET.

And wiiscrubber doesn't take us any closer. It's a completely different thing.

But maybe one day ...

I know, but Wiiscrubber certainly helps in the whole multigame-DVD concept, since we are now able to shrink the ISO size considerably for multiple games to be on a 4.7 GB DVD.

No. What it does is just creates a 4.7GB ISO that can be rarred or zipped down to something much smaller. The ISO remains the same size. What we need is a way to sign disks. Once we have that, THEN we would be closer to multi-game DVDs.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
To keep a backup of the backup. Say the disc gets scratched beyond repair or is lost.

maybe you should look after your dvd's more carefully.

You obviously don't know how ingenious 2-year olds are.

They can climb shelves and pick locks like friggin ninjas. }:>
Some media dyes actually degrade over time, the most crappy discs going in about a year.

mku_i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

maybe you should look after your dvd's more carefully.

And what is all the hassle in un-raring the files and burning them?

erm, if you have been paying more attention to the topic you would see it's far more than unraring and burning.

The only added work is for the person ripping the game and uploading. Whoever downloads the game just has to unrar and burn so what difference would it make to you downloading the game? It'll download faster and for people with download limits per month it won't affect them as much.

I don't have a download limit and get the games very quickly but don't be selfish and say people who have a limit and slower speed should just suck it up and download the large version when it will make NO difference to you whatsoever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf