GBA WiFi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Sh!fT_23, Oct 7, 2008.

Oct 7, 2008

GBA WiFi? by Sh!fT_23 at 11:46 AM (1,275 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Member Sh!fT_23 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Is there anyone who knows if it's possible (or somebody's already done it) for someone to make a patch for a GBA ROM or even a GBC or GB ROM so you can use the WiFi connection on the DS to play multiplayer games instead of the single player? With a few of the older games (like pokemon for example) some of the fun is taken away with a lack of multiplayer support.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Entirely impossible for GBA games. Possible but unlikely for GB/C games, since those aren't being run natively; it would be an emulator feature, not a ROM hack.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Right, once the DS enters GBA mode, all the DS-specific features are turned off entirely, including the touchscreen, extra resolution, and wifi. In theory a GB/GBC emulator could do it, but due to the latency and unreliability of wifi, it probably wouldn't work too well. A more successful approach would be to actually emulate two GBCs on the same DS (one per screen perhaps), which would guarantee that the timings weren't off, but this wouldn't be too useful for actual multiplayer gaming.

4. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    Well thanks for that, pretty much clears that up for me. BTW nice explanation guys, now I understand some more about the DS (always useful). Anyway, cheers for the fast and helpful responses.

5. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Wii is very similar in this regard. All Wii features get shut off for GC mode. No wifi, USB, SD slot, bluetooth, etc.

6. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    I didn't even know Wii could play Game Cube. My mate has one and he said he tried and didn't work. Perhaps just a bad disc, he does take pretty poor care of them. Anyway, good to know.

7. Ragone

Newcomer Ragone Advanced Member

United States
    lol

8. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I believe you're referring to wi-fi tunneling? Team X link once claimed that they managed to do it with DS games but never revealed how and I haven't heard from them since