GBA SP blinks red

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by g00p, Mar 19, 2009.

1. g00p
    OP

g00p Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2009
    United States
    So I pull the ol' GBA SP out of the drawer where it sat for a year or two. It wouldn't turn on or charge so I figured the battery was shot. Put another (new) battery in but nothing works.

When I plug in the charger the led will flash red or red-orange once and quit . This happens on multiple different chargers. When I throw the power switch the screen and red led will flash for a brief sec then go off.

I tested continuity on both fuses and they are ok. I have seen a few posts on other sites where people had the same problem but never saw any suggestions.

A voltmeter on the battery shows 3.2v - 3.3v

Any ideas?

thx

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    your battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. time for you to go replace it.

3. g00p
    OP

g00p Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2009
    United States
    So maybe the new battery I got was bad? I stopped at Radio Shack and got lucky - they had a few GBA SP batteries on clearance... The gameboy ran great with the new battery - but it wont charge. the orange light will come on for a brief second and go out. I tried different chargers, etc. I will make sure it's getting a good connection. What else can I do?

Thx

4. wchill

wchill Resident chillxpert

Jun 12, 2008
    United States
    The GBA SP, DS/Lite/DSi, and many other electronics use lithium ion rechargeable batteries.
    These batteries are great, but they have an expiration date. After a certain date after they are made, the batteries start losing the ability to hold a charge.
    In short, you're going to have to find a 3rd party battery that's not too old (3-4 years before they start deterioriating) or use the charger the whole time.

Edit: The voltage of the battery should be 3.7V, your battery is dying. Go replace it.

5. g00p
    OP

g00p Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2009
    United States
    I dont mind buying yet another battery, but shouldn't the charger power the unit even if no battery is present? On 2 different batteries and without, the charge exhibits the same behavior - a quick blink then off.
    Thx

6. Raulie

Raulie Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2009
    I have exactly the same problem! Did you solve it?
    The problem isn't the battery, is just that the gba doesn't charge.
    I verify it charging my battery with another gba, and it worked.

7. evilishan

evilishan Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2008
    Holsworthy, Sydney, Australia
    Not for a GBA or SP because it doesn't run directly off the power outlet, it runs through the battery.

But for a Micro, NDS or NDSL that would be true. [​IMG] Why the SP!

8. creep01

creep01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2009
    hello g00p

i suggest that you could possibly buy a new GBA SP
    or
    you could just smply send it to nintendo to be checked for problems then to be repaired
    that would be much cheaper

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice