GBA SP AGS-101 vs Nintendo DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Chuckz, Jun 23, 2017.

?

When playing GBA titles, which handheld do you prefer in terms of screen quality?

1. GBA SP AGS-101

46.7%
  2. Nintendo DS Lite

53.3%
  1. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Which do you prefer when playing Gameboy Advanced Titles?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    What, no GB Micro option? :P
    I don't own an AGS-101 but between original GBA, regular SP and DS Lite I would pick DS Lite anytime, it's just such a sexy console and the fact that it runs both GBA and NDS games perfectly and at native res is great. Though it is lacking the link cable port so if you play multiplayer games or use the GBA->GC linking then DS Lite is not an option.

3. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    DS Lite is more crisp but it's boardered. I'd pick the SP irregardless though as I think the DS Lite's D-Pad is absolute trash.

Khadir, Ryccardo and invaderyoyo like this.
  4. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    I tried once a GBA SP and didn't like it. I own a DS Lite and in a near future, a GBA

5. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I read a lot of speculation that the GBA SP AGS-101 has more color and a better screen than the DS Lite, but I wouldn't know personally.
    I'm currently playing for the first time some of the GBA Pokemon games on the DS Lite. (You are right) I wish it wasn't bordered the way it is.

I was just curious if I am currently having the best experience at the moment.

6. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    My choice is the DS Lite ONLY because the SP is tiny as fuck and my hands feel uncomfortable after playing a bit.

7. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    If you're feeling comfortable playing as is then stick to the Lite. If you find a good opportunity for an AGS-101 and plan on playing more GBA in the future, get it.

8. MrCatFace

MrCatFace GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2017
    Home (Is where the heart is, so my chest?)
    DS Lite because its cheaper and has a wider design like the normal GBA. I like it because I dont have tiny baby hands.

9. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    AGS-101 definitely has a better screen. On top of that the buttons use micro switches so they're nice and clicky just like on ds phat, while the ds lite does not use micro switches so they're mushy.

It's hard to tell on camera, but I can definitely see the difference in person.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Also the image is a bit smaller on ds lite.

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Backlit GBA (not SP) is the only real way to play for me.

11. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    These guys are basically where it's at when it comes to GBA games. None of the other models that are GBA consoles compare to these two. Maybe if I used one physically I could notice the difference better. I feel like the AGS101 has more of a 3D effect than the Lite and possibly more color.