GBA Sound through NDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Kouen Hasuki, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    A curious question I was having issues finding the answer to...

Does the DS output GBA audio in mono only like a GBA unless headphones are connected and stereo option enabled for instance GBA Pokemon titles, or does the DS with its hardware stereo speakers output GBA audio in stereo if supported?

2. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    DS fat and DS lite have two speakers and they output stereo both on speakers and headphones.

that stereo selection option is game spesific. most games (even old gb games) output stereo without choosing any option.

3. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Yes that part is clear, however that does not answer the question :P

4. reprep

Jul 5, 2012
    "DS fat and DS lite have two speakers and they output stereo both on speakers and headphones."

i assumed they output stereo would cover gba games too, though you are right it is not clear.

"ds fat and ds lite outputs stereo both on speakers and headphones with gba games."

this should be better. :lol:

source: i have both DSes and gba sp and tried the games on all of them.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Pretty sure GBA games have no way to detect if the system has stereo speakers or not, otherwise why would the option be there in the first place?
    Sure it would be nice if all games automatically outputted stereo audio on the DS but the option is there to enable it on games that don't.
    GBA games definitely output stereo on the DS though. The option to do so in certain games is there regardless of whether or not the system actually supports stereo.

6. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    hrm still not sure if the DS outputs to both speakers in mono though while playing without headphones even with stereo enabled

I tried changing the option in 2 pokemon titles since they have toggles and couldn't hear any stereo seperation

7. reprep

Jul 5, 2012
    try other games, i remember playing wario land 4 in stereo with speakers. pokemon should be fine too.

though not every song must be in stereo and even if it is in stereo, the speaker seperation might be subtle.

8. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I wish Mother 3 even had audio settings, the audio from Mother 3 is very very low.