ROM Hack GBA sound files reversed engineered?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The other day i remember reading that DS sound files have been reverse engineered... have GBA been reverse enginnered? I googled quick and didn't see anything. I would imagine that GBA would be easier than DS, but you never know (unless you can answer my question). Have they been reverse enginnered and is there a way to rip them?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing is the DS, unlike the GBA, uses a standardised format (more specifically/accurately Nintendo's tools do which nearly every developer uses) which makes things like this very easy.
Never the less a few things have been done:
http://www.zophar.net/gsf/
And a few games (most notably advance wars) have had their sound reverse engineered too enabling you to mess around with them (I believe wars-world forums (advance wars fan site have some stuff on this).

You could also use the tools -> record option of VBA to grab files.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.. i need the SFX from Golden Sun..
frown.gif
I dunno how i'd record the SFX without recording the background music...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short of reverse engineering I am willing to bet the sounds are sent down different channels on the GBA so you could quite easily drop the unwanted stuff, what channels it will be I will up to you (hit options sound under VBA to play around with sound channels).

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
I know what you could do!

I know its crazy but....

The game boy micro comes with an audio jack unlike the sp, now if you get one of those double jack cables and hook the one end to a micro with the golden sun rom playing and the other end in the pink mic hole in your soundcard you should be able to get a flawless copy of the sound off it using a program like AR Wizard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat