GBA on DSi (Speculation)

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by koji2009, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2009

GBA on DSi (Speculation) by koji2009 at 4:29 AM (1,717 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. koji2009
    OP

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Here are my comments on this that I made in another thread...

Dizzydoom: By all means, try loading the GBA bios... but I've be completely floored if for some reason nintendo left it in. The BIOS was contained on it's own seperate chip. Though I guess a safer way to test this wouldn't be to try and boot the GBA mode but attempt to dump the GBA bios from DS mode. There are already such programs available and I'd think that a safer avenue since we've already had DS that have gotten stuck in DS mode... think how useless your DSi would be if it accidently got locked in GBA mode.

2. LinkLegend89

Newcomer LinkLegend89 Newbie

United States
    This is uninformed speculation. Can't you load a gba bump on a sd-card on the slot 2 on dsi and magically run that bad boy through your slot-2 flash cart. Is the possibility there? I would like to know. The DSi is way more powerful right? 4x times the RAM and a lot more processing power. Any informed speculation would be welcome.

3. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Dsi mode hasn't been hacked yet. All that is accessible is the same as a ds so no.

4. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1) There is no Slot 2 on the DSi, or any traces for that matter.
    2) The DSi is only a little more powerful. More like another 33% or 66% in the CPU. 4x the RAM is right though.
    3) DSi mode is not accessible by any means with homebrew, only the 'compatibility' mode for normal DS games. That means the normal DS power and no SD card access.

Considering we do reach DSi mode at some point, an emulator may be possible, but there are no guarantees. This has been asked about many times over, and there is no way we will know until me know more about DSi mode.

5. LinkLegend89

United States
    By slot-2, I meant the SD Card slot. My bad for confusion. And what is DSi mode? Sorry for the noob-ass questions.

6. elenar

Member elenar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Doing this would be a pure emulation, as the DSi lacks the hardware for GBA games. The DSi might be "way more powerful" but relatively speaking, it's not very powerful at all. Even PC based GBA emulators have requirements far above the specs of the DSi.

It's not an impossible scenario, but writing a GBA emulator to run on the hardware that's currently available through Slot-2 devices on the DSi doesn't seem likely.

Perhaps a slot-2 device with embedded IC's to emulate the GBA hardware, somewhat similar to the movie player that was recently reviewed here on GBATemp would be a more likely solution to this problem. However, considering very few (any?) GBA games have come out in the last 2 years, it seems doubtful that anybody with the technical knowledge to achieve this, would be interested in trying to make it happen.

By which I mean to say, selling a $40 or more device, specifically to play 2-3 year old games on a brand new system, wouldn't be very marketable.

7. Beige

United States
    It's like on the Wii with Wii Mode and Gamecube Mode. They are based on similar hardware (as the DSi is to the DS Lite and Phat) so there isn't any emulation. In fact, all it does is lock the extra RAM and clock down the processor. So, all in all, homebrew can only access 4MB of RAM, 99Mhz, and Slot-1, which are the stats of a normal DS, minus the GBA slot.

8. LinkLegend89

United States
    So if any of this stuff is possible. The only way of playing gba games on dsi is to have a dedicated slot 1 device the the Movie Player device?

Posts merged

Oh OK, so Nintendo locked the extra power?

9. Beige

United States
    Either that, or achieving use of all DSi hardware, unlike the limits we have now. I honestly doubt we will get either. Not feasible enough.

10. LinkLegend89

United States
    OK, thanks for all the constructive answers.

11. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    There are a number of people on Youtube that are currently hacking the DSi Software to take advantage of the DSi Hardware. There is an exploit using DS Origin mode and FIFA SOCCER '10.
    There is a kid on Youtube that has attempted to hack the DSi and made a, what he called "firmware" and loaded it up on the SD Card, the DS Game Cart is replaced with a DS Cart with a blank icon and is attempting to make "programs" for it.
    This same kid is also trying to hack the Photo Channel to read photos that where not taken with the DSi Camera.
    Given around a year, the DSi will be hacked, all I have to say is don't update your DSi firmware if you do not plain to purchase any DSi Ware anytime soon.

What I mean to say by this is;
    When the DSi Firmware is hacked, we can start working on GBA Emulation on the DSi. If memory is a problem, always try to use an SD Card as extended RAM.

I would like to see GBA ROMs to be able to be ran from the DSi hardware like a channel.

You have to figure, there are some DS games out there that have been originally designed to be on the GBA but they where launched late and where pulled, canceled, and reformatted for use on the DS. (Talking about Black Sagil here.)

Why not make this "GBA ROM RUNNER (GRR)" for the DSi translate the code of the GBA ROM into DSi Code.
    My theory is not very clear, but if we could test it, it could be possible.

12. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    fifa 10? its not out yet...

13. Dizzy Doom

Newcomer Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

United States
    Well, if you really wanna find out, you have to see if GBA mode is still there. GBA hardware IS there, as it's needed to run DS games. Without GBA mode, you MUST emulate (even though that's not really a problem, it'd be a matter of mapping simmilar commands of ARM7 ing gba mode to ARM9/7 in DS mode. The main problem on emulation on the DSL was the RAM.)
    Anyone with a DSi could run this? http://www.cryptosystem.org/projects/nds/gbaswitch.nds
    On a DS Phat/L, it boots GBA BIOS, as explained on that page ( http://www.cryptosystem.org/archives/2007/...-mode-switcher/ )
    If I'm right, it should boot DSi ond GBA mode, from DS compatibility mode.

If someone is brave enough, you could also try loading the brickers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.