GBA on Acekard

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by CupNoodles, Oct 5, 2008.

Oct 5, 2008

GBA on Acekard by CupNoodles at 3:02 PM (10,920 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. CupNoodles
    OP

Newcomer CupNoodles Member

United States
    I recently bought a Onyx DS, Acekard2, 2GB Kingston MicroSD online and am currently waiting for them both to arrive in the mail. I made sure to do a good amount of research into how everything works and I believe I got it all down, the only thing is I'm confused about GBA/GBC games. I understand that most flashcarts can't run GBA roms and you would have to purchase a 3-1 expansion card to run them. Why is this? I would figure if a card could run a ds rom it could run a gbc rom?

Why doesn't it? What's preventing it from doing so? Just how it's manufactured?
    Another question is how dose the 3-1 card work? Do you put the roms onto the 3-1? Or does the 3-1 make the flashcart recognize GBA roms? Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for asking this. I wasn't sure if I should go to GBA Emulation, Acekard 2, EZ-FLASH or what. I'm sorry if this is the wrong section.

2. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    basic answer:

Two diff cpus. GBA cpu is slot 2 only. no ifs ands or buts. not gonna be able to tell the GBA hardware to use slot 1.

3. CupNoodles
    OP

United States
    Oh, Since the flashcart is in slot 1 it's not going to run GBA. I get it now.
    Mind explaining exactly how the ez-flash works though? I know it goes into SLOT2 but how does it access gba roms? Through its own microsd chip? or what?

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    You can copy the rom from the AceKard 2 to the 3in1. After that, the 3in1 works like a normal game.

5. o RedSheLL x

Member o RedSheLL x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What the last guy said, u buy ur 3in1, put some GBA roms on ur microSD card, then it shows up like a DS rom, then just press A and play!
    BTW, I think GBA roms will not show up if u do not have ur 3in1 inserted. And what firmware are u going to be using? AKAIO or the actual firmware.
    EDIT: Also if u were asking about GBC roms, u need a DS HomeBrew emulator.

6. Maikel Steneker

Netherlands
    No, GBA-roms don't show up if you don't have a 3in1 inserted. Btw, I don't think it matters if you use AKAIO or the normal software, as they both support GBA-roms.

7. CupNoodles
    OP

United States
    For reference the 3-in-1 plays all gameboys games right? GBA, GBC, GB, right? By the way Is there any good emulator applications for the DS? I downloaded one called 'Lameboy' which supposedly can run gameboy games but I never have heard much about it on here so I'm assuming it's not that good?

I'm not to sure which I'm going to be using. What's the differences and what do you suggest?

8. o RedSheLL x

United States
    I suggest AKAIO, read the thread about it (will provide link in an edit) and GBC/GB roms can be run by lameboy, a homebrew emulator for the ds (will provide another link for the download.)
    EDIT (links): LAMEBOY/ AKAIO

9. CupNoodles
    OP

United States
    Ah, you replied before I edited my post. I already got Lameboy. [​IMG]

10. Maikel Steneker

Netherlands
    AKAIO is the normal AK2 software plus some extra features, so I suggest using that. However, the normal AK2 software is now on v4.09 and AKAIO is based on v4.07, so game compatibility may be a bit lower. If you want to get around this, you can place akmenu4.nds from the AK2 software in a directory in the __aio folder.

11. CupNoodles
    OP

United States
    Ah, I think I understand now. Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.

12. o RedSheLL x

United States
    Welcome, and sorry about that useless lameboy link, btw, if u wanna get any other links to downloads for emulators, stuff like that, PM me.