GBA Games on Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by diecast82, Feb 29, 2016.

1. diecast82
    OP

diecast82 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2014
    United States
    I've had a gateway card for over a year now, always just stuck to .3ds retail games, after seeing Bravely Second CIA floating around I took the plunge into messing with CIA files. This led me down a rabbit hole of trying to get some VC games on there, Minish Cap, Pokemon Fire Red Omega, Mother 3. I ended up downgrading my fw all the way and updated the emunand via the internet. Then I installed these with FBI, on both the SD and system Nand. I've tried loading these in both emunand and synand, both result in a black screen that requires a forced reboot. I've looked everywhere and tried different methods to try and get this to work, and the two gba cia emulators aren't working, one gives me 10 fps the other 'gpsp' gives me an error when trying to load gba files.

I short I'm a complete newb and need some direction on how to get this to work with my gateway, if it's possible. Or do I need to do CFW and is that possible without a retail cubic ninja. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Gateway doesnt support GBA games yet.

3. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Well what you can do is use menuhax to dualboot gateway and rxtools and when you want to play gba games simply boot into rxtools

4. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    Look up rxTools cfw if you want gba virtual console games

diecast82 likes this.
  5. diecast82
    OP

diecast82 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2014
    United States
    Thanks! So I can just put rxTools in the root of my BlueCard if I read everything correctly. And if that's the case can I keep both that and the gateway exploit on the Blue Card together or will my 3DS start smoking and become a brick.

6. Retroman957

Retroman957 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    Canada
    I had the exact same question once i found out gateway doesn't support GBA games. Then i discovered that you just use Retroarch for GBA, Thankfully there are .3DS or .3DSX versions what you would do is download the latest nightly from https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/ Then copy the .3DS to your gateway red card or your .3DSX to your SD cards 3DS folder and use the Homebrew launcher. I personally prefer the .3DS version so I don't have to leave the gateway Emunand. Also there is a CIA version available if you wanted it as a channel on your Emunand.

The Retroarch nightly gives you all the emulators the one you want is named gpsp_libretro.3ds or the folder called gpsp_libretro that includes the 3DSX and SMDH file depending on your preference

After that you would load the Roms onto your SD Card the folder doesn't need to be named anything special you can name it what you want

Once you load RetroArch you navigate to the load content option then select the Rom you want to play.

-Have fun :)

Last edited by Retroman957, Feb 29, 2016
    cvskid likes this.
  7. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
  8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    No, rxTools is a CFW. You boot into it like gateway, only you don't need the red cart. There's lots of tutorials around, probably someone will link one for you.

9. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I find mini pasta us best for gba / dsi

10. diecast82
    OP

diecast82 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2014
    United States
    I have an O3DS I followed the guide but I can't figure out where this file comes from 'slot0x25KeyX.bin'

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah someone linked it but I keep getting 'cannot find slot0x25KeyX.bin'

11. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Try Google, it's illegal and against GBAtemp's TOS to share it here. Sorry.