GBA Emulator with host CPU Clock Speed

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Kippykip, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Kippykip
    OP

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    A bit odd posting in the NDS Discussions (No GBA Category)
    anyway is there any emulators on PC that run games at host clock speed?
    I'm asking this because I got an emulator for my android phone called MyBoy and the 3d games (E.g. Doom, MOH) run very smoothy compared to the original GBA and other emulators as it seems to be clocking at the phones speed

is there an emulator for PC with this ability?
    All I know is BoycottAdvance has this ability but it's incomplete and has no sound...
    [​IMG]
    It would be nice to play GBA FPS games very smooth

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Running GBA games at a clock speed higher than stock will literally make them faster because they are synchronized with CPU timers, it literally breaks the games.

4. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Then how does the phone one work?
    What makes it so smooth?

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would wager that it's simply well-tuned emulation. You can code an emulator to adjust to the framerate instead of stock values alone, this leads to improved smoothness. Alternatively it's just an illusion. To be sure, you'd have to do some research throught debug menus.

6. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    There is something fishy on how this works, it's like it's emulating more CPU mhz than what the GBA originally had. If you play Doom GBA on the phone, you may walk way faster than normal in some small areas but the sound plays normally and shoots the same speed still

On the phone:
    Doom 2 plays normal just no skips at all
    Duke Nukem Advance plays plain smooth like Doom 2
    Medal of Honor is a little smoother but still lags quite a lot (Must be bad coding on MOH)
    Mario advance 4 plays normal though don't notice any smoothness

On PC,
    Plays same speed as the original GBA with all games

7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Maybe it's just speed optimizations. Emulating at a higher clock will speed the game up, like Foxi said.
    PC emus play at original speed probably because they're more focused on accuracy.

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    To be fair that means the PC emu does emulate the GBA better :P

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There are two approaches to emulation - high performance or high accuracy. The former may utilize speed hacks or tweak internal CPU frequency when under high stress to maintain a consistent framerate or utilize temporary frame skips (but those are usually noticable) where the original hardware would've chugged, but such tweaks are momentary. Running the game at a higher frequency all the time will make it faster than intended. ;)

Here's a little video demonstration of what happens when you overclock an actual Game Boy Advance SP. The way this was done was by replacing the original 4.194 MHz oscillator crystal with a 20 MHz one, which substantially boosts the CPU speed. :P

Crisp Cookie and Kippykip like this.