Man1la

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

my GBA (the older kind) has an "a" button that barely works when you casually press it.

what could i do to repair it?

i rather not buy anything online and if i could somehow do somethin using my resources at home please do tell.

my friend advised me to get a new gba pad. some rubber thing or something. but couldnt i just use the gba pad from my sp and put it in my old gba?

please help

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you don't want to buy a new dpad, there's not much hope.

You can TRY something that used to work on the old Commodore 64 keyboard when the keys would stop working.....

Take an eraser and clean both the contacts on the circuit board and the carbon pad that makes contact with it. Rub lightly! That MIGHT work, but if you are unsure about taking apart your GBA, then get someone else to do it for you.

Careful though, it might render it totally useless if you rub too hard....especially the carbon pad.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If this is the original GBA then there's nothing you can do besides replace the buttons.

There's a reason why the GBASP, Micro, DS, and DS Lite don't use the same type of buttons anymore.

Man1la

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i'm getting another gba from my friend so i can take his apart and use his parts.

by the way i can't just use his gba because his screens broke. or maybe i could just take my screen and move it in the one he's giving me.

hey i don't have a tri wing screwdriver. is there any alternative to opening up the gba besides buying one?

Man1la

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend's dad thru away his gba -.- well the a button is working better. i took apart the gba and cleaned the inside and kinda fixed the locations of the buttons. it seems to be working better.

a button works about 75% of the time if u press it casually now. before, i was pressing it lightly n what not and it didn't work much so ya or w.e. sry.

i might get a gba pad.

oh by the way
would it be possible to somehow get the pads and button stuff or w.e from a sp and put it onto a old version gba?

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Man1la said:
my friend's dad thru away his gba -.- well the a button is working better. i took apart the gba and cleaned the inside and kinda fixed the locations of the buttons. it seems to be working better.

a button works about 75% of the time if u press it casually now. before, i was pressing it lightly n what not and it didn't work much so ya or w.e. sry.

i might get a gba pad.

oh by the way
would it be possible to somehow get the pads and button stuff or w.e from a sp and put it onto a old version gba?

You could use a tact switch, but you'll need to be able to solder it on to the board (not tremendously difficult) you just have to solder both tact switch leads to the old button's leads.

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
Man1la said:
well i'm getting another gba from my friend so i can take his apart and use his parts.

by the way i can't just use his gba because his screens broke. or maybe i could just take my screen and move it in the one he's giving me.

hey i don't have a tri wing screwdriver. is there any alternative to opening up the gba besides buying one?
triwings are pretty cheap, so I'd advise buying it of you plan on doing the surgery

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking