GBA AGS-101 screen on GB Color?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Linkr2, Mar 17, 2013.

Mar 17, 2013

GBA AGS-101 screen on GB Color? by Linkr2 at 1:05 PM (5,972 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Linkr2
    OP

Newcomer Linkr2 Newbie

Spain
    I have seen this on Taobao, is a GB Color modded with a GBA AGS-101 backlit screen. It seems an amazing mod. But the problem is the lack of information.

[​IMG]

Here is a video of the GB working: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDYyODI0ODgw.html

I've researched the whole internet and nobody has done this before. These are the only two photos of the process I've found in product description:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But nothing else. How did he do that?? Just specific combination of the pinouts? It would be amazing to do this mod but there's no information at all :(

2. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    This probably needs some sort of board/chip between the screen and the GBC to convert the output to the correct resolution and pinout. Probably something he programmed himself.
    If you can figure out how the screen communication works, you might be able to make something similar.

3. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Maybe it's just a SP hardwired in GBC mode, put into a GBC shell?

4. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    as i have just recently put an AGS-001 front light into a GBC, i can say:
    it looks like it

the first picture shows that a lot of plastic structures have been removed
    and the second picture shows that the screen is really big

5. maxd

Newcomer maxd Member

United States
    It's a mod using the frontlight module from the Gameboy Advance SP model AG-001, all you need to do the mod is a light unit probably ripped from an SP, some pliers, a soldering iron, a 47kOhm resistor, some wires, and some common sense. And maybe google, and try to find a guide like this one: http://www.choochoobot.com/builds/gameboy-color-mod-001.html

6. BoFoSho

Newcomer BoFoSho Member

United States
    Bump to correct false information.
    That CGB is as Hunter291 Stated.

A frontlit screen would not photograph like that for one,
    Secondly, you can clearly see it is a backlit screen from picture #3,
    And for #C if you watch the video you would notice the differences compared to a CGB screen.

On a side note that is some serious modding, to fit an SP into a CGB is an impressive accomplishment.
    While it is possible to make a backlit screen for the CGB no one has invest the time, money or, research into doing so.

Trevor Belmont likes this.
  7. luney

Member luney GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How do you hardwire it to GBC mode?