Gateway3DS Hands On Impression

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
And so it came to pass that the 3DS was doomed to failure from piracy. People all over the internet became too lazy to purchase games and just loaded up their 3DS's with pirated games. Game developers ceased support for the console, and the 3DS died many years too young.

Rest in peace, 3DS, the world barely knew ye...
2011-2013

I would not worry too much, most of the 3DS games are crap ...it's a failure in it's own right! ...just like the Wii U ...who wants a next gen console that can play iPhone ported crap games?? yep...no, thank you!

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AWESOME!

I'm curious.
Every time you change a game to play on the GW3ds, do you need to change the .sav on the 3DS's SD card, or will the game recognize it?

(eg, the saves are all saved as 00000001.sav, so you need to swap it on your computer whenever you play a different game)

Nope. You can store as many .savs on the SD card as you want. The .savs have their own random name. (Which I assume is related to the rom it belongs to. So the GW3DS searches the SD card for the rom's random number, finds it on there, and then loads it onto the GW3DS.)

Reactions: signz and f0rCe

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He might, but it's because of some now hidden posts because, I would guess, they were too off topic for the thread (even if I don't agree with that, but a mod hasn't banned me for it, so whatever...). That is why he rages. I would gladly tell you, but again, I have a feeling mods are holding a shotgun to my face right now.

So to keep it on topic, device looks like it will be crap and expensive so why bother.

Your just a great big ball of Pessimistic flesh aren't you. First in that "Gateway 3ds review" video and now here. If this doesn't interest you then keep it moving. Your negativity is leaving a stink in the air.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your just a great big ball of Pessimistic flesh aren't you. First in that "Gateway 3ds review" video and now here. If this doesn't interest you then keep it moving. Your negativity is leaving a stink in the air.

I'm kind of mellow right now actually. Just past midnight, don't have work till much much later. I can sleep in, have a decent breakfast for once this month...

But yeah, probably crap device with high chance of many catches that make it less appealing.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So to keep it on topic, device looks like it will be crap and expensive so why bother.

This.

This device is crap. It's vastly overpriced, it is only 1:1 so you need to constantly write the card to pick another game(or need to buy many cards which adds to the cost), it is not region free, it doesn't allow homemade software.

It is just a way to monetize the exploits, instead of developing a softmod with many more capabilities and no need to buy overpriced junk.

I guess that is what Neimod's and Yellow8's policy of not releasing the exploits to the public lead to. Piracy will still run rampant, and will just make rich some chinese people...

Yeah sure dudes, you protected the 3DS from piracy right...

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
This.

This device is crap. It's vastly overpriced, it is only 1:1 so you need to constantly write the card to pick another game(or need to buy many cards which adds to the cost), it is not region free, it doesn't allow homemade software.

It is just a way to monetize the exploits, instead of developing a softmod with many more capabilities and no need to buy overpriced junk.

I guess that is what Neimod's and Yellow8's policy of not releasing the exploits to the public lead to. Piracy will still run rampant, and will just make rich some chinese people...

over priced lol

R4's Originally cost the same and higher
its only because it got blown so wide open we saw lots of clones so prices dropped

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Why not just be happy it works?

Why keep moaning about small details?

I presume those moaning about it don't have the money to buy it or don't have a 4.5.x 3DS. Sour grapes...

its all the kids being spoiled by a bad mix up between amount of company dedication to AP in the previous gens
its only the internet that made it so public what you could do.
spoiled by cheap or softmod hacks thinking its easy to do and costing them bugger all

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
This.

It's about the same price (if not cheaper) as 2 original full priced 3DS games ...I hardly say it's overpriced for what it can offer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This.

This is almost classic rant material.

I suppose as it is the only device capable of doing what it does it exists in a kind of quantum superposition of crap and good by virtue of not having a reference point.
Overpriced probably falls under the same thing as above
"1:1" I thought this was a softmod launched thing? 1:1 typically refers to a device or subset/section thereof that actually straight up clones things.
Region free and homebrew. Certainly very desirable though we have to debate at this point what level of control the softmod in question affords and if it is a potential future option.

"It is just a way to monetize the exploits"
And? I suppose we could debate the relative merits of monetisation of mods but that would surely lead to flash carts in general being discussed and it is the general position of the site that flash carts, mod chips and more have their place in the world.

"instead of developing a softmod"
Computer/electronics courses/info at the level you would likely need to crack the 3ds are readily available for free on the internet. Depending upon your level of skill the tools to flank it are well within the hobbyist price range.
You will not get any discouragement from most around here for giving it a crack.

"[Neimod and Yellow8 and not releasing exploits] Yeah sure dudes, you protected the 3DS from piracy right..."
Is that their job?

Andim

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice. Time for the scene to have a look at it and create a soft mod...

lol. This isn't a crack, or a mod, or an exploit. The Gateway 3DS team hasn't figured anything out about how the 3DS works or how to crack it.

What they've done is take a 3DS cartridge, and substitute the flash for an SD card slot. The ROMs it uses are signed and unmodified full dumps that have to be individually flashed to the SD card so it can pose as the cart's memory. No homebrew can be run on here, not so much as a Hello World.

And hell, it's already been patched out. As a 3DS modding solution, Gateway 3DS is a strikingly limited piece of hardware, and also a complete dead end when it comes to the present and future. If/when the 3DS gets hacked, it will have had nothing to do with this.

Reactions: Thug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr