Gateway3DS Hands On Impression

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Devin, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    [​IMG]
    Many of you are aware of the GW3DS, the first 3DS mode flashcart. The release date was pushed back a bit, so suspicion of it not even existing came to arise. However, today I received my review sample in the mail disproving said suspicions.

Here are a few key excerpts from my experience so far with the GW3DS.
    • The GW3DS indeed plays 3DS roms. (I've yet to experience any hiccups, or glitches.)
    • The GW3DS plays already released scene releases. (Without patching.)
    • The GW3DS saves the 3DS game saves on the 3DS' SD card. (In the form of a .sav file.)
    • The GW3DS' saves are not interchangeable with those dumped from R4i Save Dongles.
    • Games from other regions do not show up at all in the menu.
    • In GW3DS mode, retail 3DS games do not work. You need to reboot the 3DS to play retail 3DS games.
    So in conclusion. The GW3DS does in fact exist, works as advertised, and word is that they've been shipped to resellers all over the world. You can follow the GW3DS' progress on the GW3SDS' website, or in our very own forums.

Here are a few pictures of the GW3DS. (Boxing, plasic insert, as well as the front/back of the GW3DS red cartridge.)

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    There was a mix up in my review sample, and the blue GW3DS card was not included. Once I get it, I'll post pictures of it. My review will be done soon enough. Enjoy.

:arrow: The Gateway 3DS can be purchased from NDS-Card.com

2. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    PCB shots please :P

3. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Excellent news, thanks for sharing this information, Devin. I look forward to the full review!

4. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    [​IMG]

It's Beautiful...

Xarsah16, WhiteMaze and Cortador like this.
  5. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    Nice. Time for the scene to have a look at it and create a soft mod...

Boy12, Slamicite and yuyuyup like this.
  6. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    AWESOME!

I'm curious.
    Every time you change a game to play on the GW3ds, do you need to change the .sav on the 3DS's SD card, or will the game recognize it?

(eg, the saves are all saved as 00000001.sav, so you need to swap it on your computer whenever you play a different game)

7. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

I definately would, but the cartridge seems to be glued shut. (However Another World I believe has opened it, and reported that it has a red PCB. Perhaps he can take, and upload a few pics.) I would but can't in fear of damaging it. :D

8. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    Sweet, waiting for the 6x support.

EZ-Megaman and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  9. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    Wait, if games from other regions do not show up at all...

How can you even program the region in the first place? Or does gateway only work with a particular region 3DS?

10. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    It has nothing to do with Gateway that determines the region. The 3DS itself and the information inside the ROM must be from the same region. (example. USA rom works in a USA 3DS, but a JAP ROM wont work inside the same 3DS.)

11. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

It reads whatever rom is on the GW3DS red card. So if it's a Japanese region rom, it'll only work on a Japanese 3DS. (The GW3DS itself is region free in that sense, however the 3DS' aren't.)

chris888222 likes this.
  12. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Will nds-card be receiving cards before others since they're located in China?

13. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    Oh yes, I totally forgot that GW only plays one game per MSD. My bad. Now I get it.

Yeah. Initially I thought the GW can run a couple of 3DS roms at once, so I was kinda confused on how the Gateway can actually select region preferences.

14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    And so it begins.

Will be interesting to see if any group now create a exploit of some sort to stop people from buying carts.

MAXLEMPIRA and Boy12 like this.
  15. idleft

idleft Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2013
    Switzerland

It this means that every time you reboot or shut down your 3DS, you have to re-install the GW utilities from the blue DS card?

16. BenRK

BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    And so it came to pass that the 3DS was doomed to failure from piracy. People all over the internet became too lazy to purchase games and just loaded up their 3DS's with pirated games. Game developers ceased support for the console, and the 3DS died many years too young.

Rest in peace, 3DS, the world barely knew ye...
    2011-2013

17. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

Oh no, no. That's not what I meant. I mean that if you want to play retail 3DS games and you're in GW3DS mode you need to reboot. Rebooting takes away the exploit. However when you want to go back into GW3DS mode you need to go into Settings->Other Settings->Profile->Nintendo DS Profile. The 3DS will reboot, and you'll be fine. No need to use the installer unless you go into DS mode. (Play a DS game, or flashcart.)

18. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Great impression, glad that you were able to post this as fast as you did. :) Guess you're up one on me. :P

WhiteMaze likes this.
  19. enarky
    This message by enarky has been removed from public view by Costello, Aug 9, 2013, Reason: insulting.
    Aug 9, 2013
  20. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Wow, it works then... my hopes are up for a SD Card exploit instead of a flashcart :D

MAXLEMPIRA and TemplarGR like this.
  21. BenRK
    This message by BenRK has been removed from public view by Costello, Aug 9, 2013, Reason: reply to insulting post.
    Aug 9, 2013
  22. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Yea... I remember how that happened on the DS... oh wait, it went on to be a huge success. My bad.

23. BenRK

BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 21, 2010
    United States

Because this is TOTALLY 2006 and 7 years haven't passed and the world is EXACTLY the same as 2006. Why, the Wii is coming out. OH! The PS3 is too! Dude bro 360 awesome!