MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey everyone,

straightforward technical question... when does the save of a ROM really consolidate in the SD card?

Does it generate that current session's .sav when you close the game software and return to the menu? Or is it when you go through the full power cycle and boot into the original firmware?

Regards,

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For normal saves (thus, not NAND-based saves) the .sav gets written to the SD card when you exit to home menu from the game or when you turn off the console.
However! If you let the game crash or let the battery run dry, then the .sav won't get written to the SD card.
(Though, I've heard some people say that the .sav is written when you let the battery run dry, but I've first-hand experienced on two occasions that I lost progress due to my battery running dry, so I won't recommend this.)

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For normal saves (thus, not NAND-based saves) the .sav gets written to the SD card when you exit to home menu from the game or when you turn off the console.
However! If you let the game crash or let the battery run dry, then the .sav won't get written to the SD card.
(Though, I've heard some people say that the .sav is written when you let the battery run dry, but I've first-hand experienced on two occasions that I lost progress due to my battery running dry, so I won't recommend this.)

So CARD2 games save right away? This means you can just change the header in CARD1 games and avoid the whole "Press Home/Shut Down" thing then. Awesome B)

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for the info, Nurio... so, at least in theory, if I consistently close the game and leave the system shut in the hacked menu, I won't lose hours of progress again even if the system crashes while I'm carrying my 3DS around (as it does once every month or so)?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the info, Nurio... so, at least in theory, if I consistently close the game and leave the system shut in the hacked menu, I won't lose hours of progress again even if the system crashes while I'm carrying my 3DS around (as it does once every month or so)?
Yeah as long as you close the game you should be fine, as it's the exiting the game that triggers the save transfer

Reactions: MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you, gentlemen. Take a bunch of Likes and my gratitude that I won't have to redo things in Etrian Odyssey (which is a very painful thing to do).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...