Gateway save question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MarkDarkness, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MarkDarkness
    OP

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Hey everyone,

straightforward technical question... when does the save of a ROM really consolidate in the SD card?

Does it generate that current session's .sav when you close the game software and return to the menu? Or is it when you go through the full power cycle and boot into the original firmware?

Regards,

2. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    For normal saves (thus, not NAND-based saves) the .sav gets written to the SD card when you exit to home menu from the game or when you turn off the console.
    However! If you let the game crash or let the battery run dry, then the .sav won't get written to the SD card.
    (Though, I've heard some people say that the .sav is written when you let the battery run dry, but I've first-hand experienced on two occasions that I lost progress due to my battery running dry, so I won't recommend this.)

MarkDarkness likes this.
  3. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.

So CARD2 games save right away? This means you can just change the header in CARD1 games and avoid the whole "Press Home/Shut Down" thing then. Awesome B)

4. MarkDarkness
    OP

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Thanks for the info, Nurio... so, at least in theory, if I consistently close the game and leave the system shut in the hacked menu, I won't lose hours of progress again even if the system crashes while I'm carrying my 3DS around (as it does once every month or so)?

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah as long as you close the game you should be fine, as it's the exiting the game that triggers the save transfer

MarkDarkness likes this.
  6. MarkDarkness
    OP

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Thank you, gentlemen. Take a bunch of Likes and my gratitude that I won't have to redo things in Etrian Odyssey (which is a very painful thing to do).