Gateway mSD Format Type Questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Skeet1983, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I have a 64GB mSDXC card. I have a few questions about how to proceed with formatting:

1. Should I choose either FAT32 or exFAT? Is one better over the other?
    Windows 10 Format Utility will only let me format with exFAT. If FAT32 is better choice, how do I format to that?
    2. For the format you guys suggest, what should I select for Allocation Unit Size?

I am running Windows 10. Thoughts/help GREATLY appreciated :)

2. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
    GW can use exFat, for rom size over 4gb. Fat32 is under 4gb. Or you can trim your roms for a smaller size. Default format size is fine.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Higher allocation unit size/cluster size may increase speed a little bit but it won't be a big difference. You can format to FAT32 using any other application, like the official SD Formatter. If you trim your ROMs then every ROM will fit on FAT32 without problems, I use it and haven't had to use GW's ROM splitter tool a single time. I guess there is not much advantage to sticking with FAT32. FAT32 is just more widely supported, so I can for example put the MicroSD in my phone and download games with it if there's no PC available. Though I haven't had to do that in ages :P

4. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Actually, exfat is subject to patents by Microsoft (more than fat32 is). That's why device manufacturers are reluctant to use it.

(Gateway, of course, being pirates don't care since they aren't going to be paying Microsoft anyway.)