Gateway: Latest system update 8.x

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rinnux, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Rinnux
    OP

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Latest system update 8.x

You may have noticed that system firmware 8.0.0 has recently been released.

We have analysed this update and we want to advise our users the following:

- Currently do not update emunand to this version as it will not boot. Old emunand versions (7.x or lower) will keep booting fine.

- If you did update emunand, do not worry. Our next firmware update will bring your updated emunand back to life.

- This update uses the same encryption as 7.x, only applied to more system processes which prevents emunand booting.

- We are still on track on getting our next firmware out, this update does not change much in our game plan.

Thank you for your patience once again and as always ENJOY.

source: gateway-3ds.com

2. Runehasa

Runehasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    Glad they are on top of things. We really should put up a big warning for people not to update their emunands at this time

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    hmmm im guessing their update will come sooner rather than later or "- If you did update emunand, do not worry. Our next firmware update will bring your updated emunand back to life." would of most likely just been instructions to reformat emunand to 4.x

4. Dewdrops

Dewdrops GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2014
    Malaysia
    They are slow but a lot of their releases are steady, so I wouldn't worry.
    No reason for people to update now anyway. Unless they are itching for a bite for being too nosy.

5. 0bvious

0bvious Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2007
    I don't have currently have a Gateway card (or any flashcard). But I am thinking of getting one soon, after they release the new update. Should I avoid updating my system to 8.0? They seem to suggest it won't matter too much. I am currently locked out of the eshop etc.

6. SaggyBeans

SaggyBeans GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    If you don't have one yet and are planning on getting one then they might have a new firmware released by then. If not then I would not recommend using emunand until they do release a new firmware because it will not work. You can if you want but you would just be wasting your time since it wouldn't load.

7. morvoran

morvoran GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    If your system is already on a firmware higher than 4.5, then you won't have a reason to get a Gateway as it won't work on your system. Whenever Gateway refers to a firmware higher than 4.5, they are strictly speaking of emunand compatibility only. Your system still needs to be on a firmware between 4.1-4.5 to work.

8. SaggyBeans

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada

That's a good point, I assumed he was talking about loading 8.0 with emunand once he purchases the gateway... what firmware are you running 0bvious?

9. 0bvious

0bvious Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2007
    I am running 7.x firmware.

I thought the Gateway news meant that they had cracked 7.x firmware? That's a real bummer if they haven't

MichiS97 likes this.
  10. SaggyBeans

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada

I'm sorry to say but that is not what they meant.. it only supports 3DS games on console versions 4.1 to 4.5. The 7.x firmware cracking is referring to emunand and game support of 7.x I believe.

11. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    with cracking the 7.x encryption they only mean, that with their future update emunand will be compatible with the stuff that has been encrypted recently (eshop, couple of games, system settings, ..) you still need a 4.x system to use the gateway card

12. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Wait. It is presumed it's just emuNAND however we do not know what they have access to. There is a small possibility so I would wait. It will probably be soonish, and updating to 8.0 is not really necessary yet.

13. 0bvious

0bvious Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2007
    Hmmm. Thanks. I hope they clarify soon.

14. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Let the over-analyzing of their announcement's word use begin (or in this case, continue)!

15. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    Besides if they have cracked 7.x you would probably need 4.5.
    I guess it may update from the gateway menu.

16. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    The problem with emunand and 8.0 is that the "home screen" process now also uses 7.x encryption? Weird that Nintendo didn't push the new encryption in full with the last update...

17. BestR4i3DS.com

BestR4i3DS.com GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    United States
    "We are still on track on getting our next firmware out, this update does not change much in our game plan."
    sounds great, wish the next firmware release as soon as possible.

18. Gh0sti

Gh0sti iOS Guru

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    Inside you, all around you
    its coming patience

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I highly doubt that'll happen, if ever. Anything above that anyway, the 3DS is a well-guarded system.

20. SaggyBeans

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada

What do you mean by "doubt that'll ever happen"? I think you may of misunderstood my post, all I said was that system firmware 4.1 to 4.5 are supported and the 7.x firmware encryption that gateway was talking about is only game support. I wasnt suggesting that gateway would ever exploit beyond 4.5.. especially since it's been so long since 4.5 and they havent found a loop hole beyond 4.5.