Gateway Exploit Suddenly Gone From My 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Unn, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Unn
    OP

Unn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    United States
    I don't even know how it happened, but the exploit installed on my 3DS is now apparently missing. A Gateway screen doesn't even pop up when I hit the button, only going to the DS profile screen. I've checked my firmware version, it's 4.4-10u, so it should still be able to work. I've also tried reinstalling it via the blue card, which greeted me with an indefinite loading screen. Is there any work-around for this?

2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    At the indefinite installing screen close your 3ds and then reopen it, and it will finish installing. Playing DS games resets the exploit.

3. Unn
    OP

Unn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    United States
    Sorry, I wasn't specific enough, the loading screen is when I first start it, and closing doesn't do anything.

4. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Are you able to actually launch the GW installer? If it isn't working, try this alternate installer:
    http://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/homebrew/download-rop-multi-loader-1-2-f32915.html

If the below post doesn't work (or test with a reg DS cart) you may have a bricked DS mode and need to system reformat to fix it.

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

If you have another DS mode flashcart that works on your 3DS (like a DSTWO) you could try running the exploit from that.

6. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I'm sorry but what you say does not make any sense at all???, can you be a bit more specific please :) cause to enter GW mode you do need to go to DS Profile? To get GW to install again with the blue card, if it freezes on the loading screen just reset your 3DS and try it again cause it does sometimes do that!, then re-enter emunand via ds profile as usual.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i think you first need to format your micro SD on the blue card and copy the blue card files back on, then just set up as normal

also for future reference, did you run any nds games? that will remove the exploit and will need it to be re-installed after playing

8. Unn
    OP

Unn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    United States
    Sure I'll go into more detail for you.

I was using my Gateway the other night and it was working perfectly fine, nothing out of the ordinary. This morning I booted it up and went to the DS profile as usual, but I was greeted by the DS profile editor, which should not pop up with Gateway. I double checked my firmware and it was still 4.4-10U, so it should still be working. I double checked my SD card, it still had launcher.dat as well. The next thing I tried was using the blue card to reinstall the exploit, however, starting it up just gives me a loading screen, I can't even start the installer. I've done it several times now and the same things happens every time.

'
    No I didn't, but it doesn't seem to matter, I finally got the installer to work. Sorry for bugging all of you guys.

9. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I see, sure the system has not been partially updated somehow?, have you got the green Miiverse icon in the top right hand corner present?

Edit: sorted, nice one :)

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i doubt its partially updated or the blue card wouldn't work it would just say "an error has occurred)....sounds like he just needs to format the SD card in the blue card

11. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    It sounds to me either the blue DS MicroSDHC is not formatted properly or the microSDHC isn't seated. I have an old AK2.1 on my DSLite and sometimes the MicroSDHC unseats. It'll take me four or five solid tries to properly reseat the SD before it'll load on the DS.

12. syfyTy

syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    Gamemaster 1379said: "...and sometimes the MicroSDHC unseats. It'll take me four or five solid tries to properly reseat the SD before it'll load on the DS."

aaaannnd THATSs why I prefer all manner of spring loaded micro sdhc card [mechanical] applications (flash cards, adapters, etc.. the contacts never seem to give me trouble, wheres every gravity-dependent chip has eventually had the same issue of oxidation build up or dust/grime or whatever... over the years.

As an aside: I laugh every time I hear someone suggest to another cheap flash user to stuff some bits of paper under the chip to better the contact... talk about your cutting corners...
    Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, own the concession, selling the franchise... not poking fun, just an observation...

13. Abcdfv

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Right? DSTwo comes with tape "built in" :lol:

But never had a single issue with my DSTwo, except for me screwing up changing themes.

14. syfyTy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    I also made a practice of being smart about testing roms on a separate chip that the one I'd use regularly, and not continuously put the thing in and out of the same f card, thereby wearing out the spring as I've seen done before. I owned a DS1i and a DStwo and learned the difference between the two, not much, I still have both, but the SC ds1 i uses less power (I believe) , and has slightly lower over all compatibility, (very slightly less). as far as DS goes anyway. But the DS1i can'tr play GBA and etc..

I got both of those and an R4i when my first R4 Died and never looked back.. That was when N first bricked those. Still have all of them, all working. They don't make them like that anymore (the FIRST R4i), except DS2.. Wish they still made the DS1i though, it was still good IMO.

In your defense, some of those pre made themes, were not complete when we speak of all files [meant] to be included are posted, it is easy to 'screw' it up. I have a program which automatically changes them on the fly, once fed the necc. files, and several of them are missing files or they are in the wrong directories (or require special ones etc..) or have corrupt files, graphics etc..

One of these days I'm going to make a good Advance wars or Fire Emblem Theme, for now I'm 'stuck' with this awesome 'Chrono-trigger' theme. etc..

15. Abcdfv

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I just use the default theme now. There was a homebrew app I found that downloaded themes over wifi and automatically extracted them to the appropiate places, but 95% of themes I tried would download and fail to install. I gave up on manual install themes in like a week.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah but in all fairness the blue card was never meant to be a super nds flash cards, its sole intended purpose was to install the exploit.......i personally don't have any issues with it except occasionally having to pop it out and back in....but tbh that even happens occasionally with retail cards, I'm sure there would be more of a stink if they included a DStwo which meant the card was like 33% more expensive, if you don't like the blue card and want a super reliable DStwo....go for it but its not an essential and the blue card does its job just fine

17. Abcdfv

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Don't think anyone was really trying to make a comparison between the DSTwo and anything really, It's by far the best cart, but also priced appropriately (Not exactly competitively though). The other carts are great for what they are, cheap backup/homebrew loaders.

I think I may have ended up with a faulty blue card anyway, was gonna give it to a friend, but on my 4.3 3DS it doesnt show up at all, and on his DSLite it loads then gives a "can't find loader.dat" or whatever the filename is.

18. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    I just wish this scene would just ditch flash cards all together, don't get me wrong gateway is one hell of a Lite CFW (because lets be honest thats what it is but they make it dependant on a flashcart) imagine gateway was released as a card free solution sort of like rednand was supposed to be..to bad rednand never came out

19. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i will admit they do have a fairly higher than average failure rate even when compared to other crappy R4 clones, been so many people with broke cards, i understand not including a top of the line NDS card, but they could at least make them reliable.....hopefully that's something that's already been fixed, as i heard they where switching manufacturers due to high failure rates back when all the stocks where drying up, not sure if that was just in regards to the red card though

even if a red nand style thing was released it would still be 4.x and still require a nds flashcard to install

20. syfyTy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    I can't speak to that because I swore off getting a GW card until they broke the 4.X barrier on the 3ds. By that times, I already own al the 3ds games anyway.. already ON the 3ds... )still buying those dam past games that I have on the DS2 F-cart (DS 2. I have all but 3 and the translated ones. Don't know why, I'm just obsessed with owning the whole thing, card, box, instructions etc, of my 200+ fav. games.. I don't feel too bad about that with all the great translations coming out... Heck my back logs got a back log.

Never did that on any other sys before.... Well, they're sequals to those I have on the GBA: Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, I have all the Guides for the (old original etc.. blah , blah, etc..) You know, gotta catch 'em (buy 'em) all but not with pokemon but with TBS and RPG

sorry for ramblin'