Hacking Gateway A9LH Questions

Andreas Day

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I've been out loop for a while now and picked up my 3DS the other day and decided to update gateway.
I updated to the latest beta (4.1) and have some questions.

So following some pretty vague instructions on how to update, I eventually got it done.
I have never used A9LH before, and I have looked into exactly how it works.
First question, is there anyway to set up A9LH for gateway that will boot the console with no SD card. Without an SD card, it doesn't boot.
Secondly, I noticed gateway supplied a .bin file to work with existing A9LH installs, so would I be better off installing another version and using the gateway bin, or stick to the gateway method?

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok so I've been out loop for a while now and picked up my 3DS the other day and decided to update gateway.
I updated to the latest beta (4.1) and have some questions.

So following some pretty vague instructions on how to update, I eventually got it done.
I have never used A9LH before, and I have looked into exactly how it works.
First question, is there anyway to set up A9LH for gateway that will boot the console with no SD card. Without an SD card, it doesn't boot.
Secondly, I noticed gateway supplied a .bin file to work with existing A9LH installs, so would I be better off installing another version and using the gateway bin, or stick to the gateway method?
Use the community method. Gateway is shit. They dont even have FIRM protection, so updating bricks you

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Indeed use the community method as others said because this doesn't "marry" your 3DS to your red cart (with Gateway's a9lh, you can't boot your 3DS without the red cart) and allows you to use Gateway yes, but also other things like Decrypt9 for example. And also because there is a version of a9lh that allows you to boot without SD card indeed, though I don't have links, some other people will have to help you on that one.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Use the open free community a9lh and use GW'S payload if you still want 3ds rom usage. GW a9lh is a beta and is DRM locked to their red card, don't attempt it unless you have a hard mod or don't care about the red card married to their a9lh. There is no firm protection either amongst other things too.

Personally, the P's guide of a9lh is the way forward but there are still some gw hard fanatics that will argue the toss and don't like a bad word said about GW.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Follow Plailects guide and run GW chainloading off Luma3DS(Use Alexs nightly builds for working AGBFIRM)
You will need 2 A9LH bin files to load GW

Andreas Day

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry for the late reply guys, been busy with work

so the general consensus seems to be to use the community method. I might try install this.
Anyone got a guide to remove the gateway a9lh and install the community method?

Also, does the community method actually offer any advantages? Other than not "marrying" with the red card.
Is reinstalling the community version actually worth the hassle? Because from what I can see from looking around on various sites, people seem to despise gateway now and want nothing got to do with it.
Is there any legitimate advantages to the community method, or is this just people not wanting to use gateway?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no gateway fanatic, I'm all for free methods with no DRM, but I already bought it a long time back, so if its easier, I'll still use it.

Also another question, since installing a9lh, I cant play nds games any more, flashcart or legit cart, they will show up, but not boot, just hangs on a black screen when launched

Thanks for the replies guys

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It is definitely worth having the community method: you can access all the useful payloads, can play GBA games, and you don't need an emuNAND.

If you have your OTP.bin and a backup at 9.0-9.2 from before you installed Gateway a9lh, you can restore it and install a9lh with SafeArm9Installer.3dsx.

If your backup is any lower, restore it and start from Part 1 of the guide (you don't need to update to 9.2 anymore). Or you can choose up update to 9.2 with sysupdater and do the above, up to you.

Andreas Day

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is definitely worth having the community method: you can access all the useful payloads, can play GBA games, and you don't need an emuNAND.

If you have your OTP.bin and a backup at 9.0-9.2 from before you installed Gateway a9lh, you can restore it and install a9lh with SafeArm9Installer.3dsx.

If your backup is any lower, restore it and start from Part 1 of the guide (you don't need to update to 9.2 anymore). Or you can choose up update to 9.2 with sysupdater and do the above, up to you.

ok thanks for that. Yeah i still have my nand backup from 9.0, and i have my OTP.bin that was created during the gateway installation.
Any particular program you recommend to restore my nand?

Was thinking of restoring nand anyway since my 3DS went screwy and my NDS games cant be launched anymore

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
ok thanks for that. Yeah i still have my nand backup from 9.0, and i have my OTP.bin that was created during the gateway installation.
Any particular program you recommend to restore my nand?

Was thinking of restoring nand anyway since my 3DS went screwy and my NDS games cant be launched anymore
You will have to use the Gateway menu to restore your NAND. Hold Up over "Downgrade" and press A. I think the backup has to be named NAND.bin.
If you look on Google for the section of Plailect's guide called "browser OTP" you can ignore the first half and do the second half (it is written for people who have a 3DS on 2.1.0-4 already, so they can get their OTP, upgrade to 9.2 and install a9lh on 9.2 instead of 2.1.0-4 which would require a backup of a higher firmware).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass