Hacking Gateway + A9LH questions

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R boots with the 10.x FIRM. So it's not really irrelevant. As @Lacius stated, you cannot boot into Gateway by pressing R, only by pressing L.

Ah, that's interesting. Except if my system was on 9.2 to start, would it actually boot with a newer FIRM than what I have?

But I get you. I'll update my AuReiNAND and do it that way.

There was one other issue I ran into which would cause a big problem for Themehax - that was, the two seemed to be linked theme-wise, I started out with an unlinked emuNAND and sysNAND both on the default theme, then changed emuNAND to the blue theme, and yet when holding R to boot into sysNAND it also had the blue theme.

Unless that was because of the 10.x FIRM thing you mentioned, in which case I'll chalk it up as a weird anomaly since I was using 9.2 anyway.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that's interesting. Except if my system was on 9.2 to start, would it actually boot with a newer FIRM than what I have?

But I get you. I'll update my AuReiNAND and do it that way.

There was one other issue I ran into which would cause a big problem for Themehax - that was, the two seemed to be linked theme-wise, I started out with an unlinked emuNAND and sysNAND both on the default theme, then changed emuNAND to the blue theme, and yet when holding R to boot into sysNAND it also had the blue theme.

Unless that was because of the 10.x FIRM thing you mentioned, in which case I'll chalk it up as a weird anomaly since I was using 9.2 anyway.
That shouldn't have linked your NANDs. You probably did something else that could have linked your NANDs back.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here's what I did

My spare N3DS is harmodded, so I restored the "9.2 fresh formatted" backup over my 2.1 downgrade which I used to get the OTP. I restored it using the hardmod, I mean, easier than messing with Cubic Ninja.

I then took an already-formatted-for-that-system MicroSD and used emuNAND Tool to restore that same image as emuNAND. Before putting the MicroSD in, I went through initializing sysNAND and installed a9lh. Then I put the AuReiNAND stuff on the MicroSD.

When booting, it went to the initialization screen - which is what it should have done - and I went through settings again. It was my impression that it makes the ID1/ID2 during or after that setup step, meaning that both of mine should have had two different results. But yet, after setting the theme in emuNAND and booting into sysNAND it shared the same theme. Furthermore, I cleared the theme data from sysNAND and when rebooting into emuNAND, the theme was gone again!

So I reformatted sysNAND one last time and called it a day. Because really, it would autoboot into my emuNAND anyway, and I didn't need sysNAND for anything (though now I know I need it for Gateway)

Does any of that explain why they would have magically linked together?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend you update AuReiNAND. R no longer does anything on the latest version, and pressing L boots into sysNAND with the 9.0 FIRM.

I just downloaded the newest version, from this morning - and pressing R still takes me into sysNAND.

Do I need to do something else? I replaced all of the relevant files - arm9loaderhax.bin, the emunand.bin and reboot.bin inside the rei folder. That's all there is inside the 3.7.3 7zip file, besides the menuhax stuff which I don't have on my MicroSD at all. firmware.bin is the same as it was before...

Edit: and I thought, pressing L does nothing. It just hangs me on a black screen.

Edit 2: OK, so I got the FIRMs.7z file from the Zippyshare link on github. For some reason the normal N3DS a9lh firm.bin had a different checksum than mine (even though they both work...) so I used the new file, and I also put firm90.bin on there.

The L button now works, and it boots into MenuHax and I can start Gateway with it.
HOWEVER, R still boots into sysNAND (MenuHax), and Gateway DOESN'T work, it just hangs on a black screen when I try to launch it.

Is there a way I can set a config telling it to ignore the R button entirely?

Also, I'd still like to remap L to something else, like B... is that possible?

Last edited by drfsupercenter,

LoneSyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you create rei/updatedsysnand (no extension) it will boot straight to sysNand Mode with emuNand on L/R.

I have 9.2 emuNAND with Homebrew Launcher.cia installed. If I ever want to use my gateway card, I just boot to GW menu without cart, then insert cart to boot to GW sysNand mode. Works great on a9lh 10.6 sysnand mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol