Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-188346

Why does everyone assume Ninty's just sitting down, crossing their arms and waiting for things to happen?

*sigh*
My favorite noobtheory is that Gateway is waiting for 9.3.0 so that they can unleash their exploit at an optimal time, critically wounding Nintendo. Nintendo, realizing that they cannot possibly release 9.3.1 for weeks (because there is a mystical cooldown period when patches are released), has to sit and patiently watch their software sales get cut to ribbons as the handsome and brave pirates pillage billions of dollars of potential revenue.

KnightOnline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My favorite noobtheory is that Gateway is waiting for 9.3.0 so that they can unleash their exploit at an optimal time, critically wounding Nintendo. Nintendo, realizing that they cannot possibly release 9.3.1 for weeks (because there is a mystical cooldown period when patches are released), has to sit and patiently watch their software sales get cut to ribbons as the handsome and brave pirates pillage billions of dollars of potential revenue.

I find it interesting that everyone is assuming that the Gateway team has some big master plan for releasing this update, as opposed to just trying to release it as soon as tested and ready, and it just happens to not be there yet. I can see them trying to rush for Christmas' sake, but anything else is overly machiavellian.

Also, given that their main target audience is kids who wouldn't know better anyway, i doubt these cards are "cutting Nintendo's software sales to ribbons". Sure there's a dent, but they'll continue to turn a nifty profit quarter after quarter

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
That made me chuckle, just so dramatic lol!

Reactions: Danjal

SushiKing

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I believe everyone jumps up and down when they hear of updates. As far as I remember updates don't self install when pushed. You have to accept it.

Keep your wifi off if you're really worried.

Is this true, what other ways can you cancel future updates?

D

Deleted-355425

Would are sense to release over Xmas when most or Sony EU is away on holiday.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this true, what other ways can you cancel future updates?

The only way to downgrade or remove an already downloaded update is to have a hard-modded 3ds and restore a sysnand backup or to reset to remove already downloaded update (but not installed).

D

Deleted-355425

Would they ever push out and update you have to install if it gets on your system like the wiiU?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*IF* Gateway wants to ensure a Christmas release, then they probably also know that a lot of people won't buy untill they've officially released.
Given the fact that a lot of sites give a 10~20 day / 2 weeks shipping period - that puts the window of opportunity (ignoring holiday delays) with only a few more days left.

Frankly I don't think that they're waiting for that.
Similarly, Nintendo doesn't need to wait for a patch or hotfix if its critical. So waiting on Nintendo only makes sense in the way that an additional firmware version slightly increases their window.
Yet anyone who isn't aware of Gateway by now, probably will miss that window aswell. Making the options limited.

Probable outcome? They're simply testing to ensure they have everything in order.

chris_247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know a good website to order a New 3ds Super Smash Bros Edition JP? I had originally ordered though amazon.co.jp using a forwarding service but I learn there are websites that ship straight to us. Nippon Yasan has it for $211 usd shipped with fedex but I heard the order processing can take up to a week so I'm looking for an alternative. I saw a post about Superufo and they seem to be pretty fast but they don't have the Super Smash Bros Edition.

HEX1GON

YEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok cool, so does everyone keep the wifi turned off or leave it on?? What should i do?

Well I can't speak for everyone, but as of right now there's no need to be that worried. Maybe in the close future. As long as you don't accept the install you'd be ok.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ok cool, so does everyone keep the wifi turned off or leave it on?? What should i do?
well if it downloads the update, it will just prompt you forever every time you turn on the console if you would like to update....only way to stop it is restoring your old nand before it was downloaded which requires soldering and a nand dump....i dont think the new 3ds has a nand pinout or anything yet.

or you can format the system memory to remove the update, but i seem to remember reading that since 7.x nintendo now force you to update your console to the latest FW before they let you format (i know ridiculous).....so once a update comes out that you don't want to run that isn't an option anymore anyway as you cant run a system format without installing it anyway.......i would say just set up fake access points and hope the gateway update has emunand, so you will never have to worry about someone accidentally running the update on sysnand

Reactions: SushiKing

nosignaldetected

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just deleted the wifi connection settings from my console. Not risking it. If a game comes out that has required firmware update, I will wait for a patch or a bypass in gateway

omegart

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really though, if I was to order now I wouldn't risk getting a JP one. There may never be a way to update to the exploitable firmware once a newer update is released.
i thought jap come with 9.x ... facepalm. if i knew before i think i'll stay on 3ds xl 9.2 without buying a n3ds

the3dsguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i thought jap come with 9.x ... facepalm. if i knew before i think i'll stay on 3ds xl 9.2 without buying a n3ds

too late, many of us are on the same boat as you. says my shipping will arrive before 5pm thursday. so i got around 36 hours, fingers crossed

the3dsguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
where do you bought it? i want to know if nippon-yasan time are so long as they seem

I got my in play asia. shipped 30 min later, didnt make it for the fed ex cut off, however its in taiwan right now in transit - hopefully on it way to canada 12ish hours from now. I know they are more expensive, but they have the reputation of the fastest shipping. So it's worth spending an extra 30 dollars to guarantee a speedy delivery.

heres my timeline.

Time is from My LOCAL time EST Canada.
Ordered 12/01/2014 - 5:00AM - Estimated time of delivery 12/04/2014 before 5PM EST

12/03/2014 - Wednesday
4:47 am In transit TA YUAN HSIANG TW

12/02/2014 - Tuesday
5:15 am In transit LANTAU ISLAND HK

12/01/2014 - Monday
11:29 am Picked up TSUEN WAN HK

Package received after FedEx cutoff
11:29 am Left FedEx origin facility TSUEN WAN HK

10:00 am At local FedEx facility LANTAU ISLAND HK

8:05 am Left FedEx origin facility TSUEN WAN HK

6:15 am Shipment information sent to FedEx

5:36 am Picked up