Gaming Garry's Mod Traps Pirates

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
Well, game x looks awesome when guy y is playing, I'm buying it!
The game looked much more awesome when guy y was playing it, but it sucks!

Yeah right. You don't know if a game is fun by seeing some guy playing it, you know if it's fun by playing it.

Considering it's not really a "game", your point is moot.
Tell me, how is Garry's Mod not a game?

Gary's Mod has no goal to achieve besides your own. It's a sandbox, not a game.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:

Yeah right. You don't know if a game is fun by seeing some guy playing it, you know if it's fun by playing it.

While Garry's Mod is not a game, your logic is flawed since it would exclude Minecraft from being a game.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
twiztidsinz said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:

While Garry's Mod is not a game, your logic is flawed since it would exclude Minecraft from being a game.

IMO Minecraft is not a game either, but there are goals, such as crafting different materials, weapons, armor, etc... and you know, not being killed.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
IMO Minecraft is not a game eiter, but there are goals, such as crafting different materials, weapons, armor, etc... and you know, not being killed.

I'd consider Minecraft as of now to be a game if you're playing survival mode. The main goal is to survive every night. Of course if you're playing Minecraft Classic or the creative mode or whatever it's called, that's more of a sandbox than a game.

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those anti-pirates. What do you guys think about govt sponsored stealing or robbing other countries? Just say capitalism rock baby? Isn't the mantra in USA is stealing from 7-11 is bad, but if you are a big thief and you know how to get away, then go ahead and steal?

Just throwing some thoughts (trolls?) at these high moral gamers?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:

So no goals=it's not a game? But what if the goal of Garry's Mod is to be creative and having fun?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
So no goals=it's not a game? But what if the goal of Garry's Mod is to be creative and having fun?

Just because Garry's Mod isn't a game doesn't mean it isn't fun. It's just not a game. Games have to have one clearly defined goal to be considered one. "Having fun" isn't really a goal since most games are supposed to do that anyway.

doyama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
For most games I would agree with you, but everyone knows what Garrys Mod is, everyone has seen the videos and what you can do with it. It's not too much of a stretch to say that a demo isn't needed.

QUOTE(doyama @ Apr 14 2011, 08:23 AM)
Sorry Piracy is stealing

The game/music/movie company is selling an experience. You enjoyed that experience without paying for it. Just because it's not a physical product does not mean you arent stealing it.

According to US law, it's not. Theft is a criminal matter, copyright infringement is civil matter. Try again, please.

Because its a civil violation that makes it 'ok'?? Really? That's the logic here?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Sorry Piracy is stealing

The game/music/movie company is selling an experience. You enjoyed that experience without paying for it. Just because it's not a physical product does not mean you arent stealing it.
Then why can't we sue for theft of love?
tongue.gif

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Sorry Piracy is stealing

Here's the dirrerence: this is a physical product.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post, I thought it would merge.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Because its a civil violation that makes it 'ok'?? Really? That's the logic here?

no one said it made it ok, but we were just correcting you because you said it was theft (which it isn't)

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
Berthenk said:

Just because Garry's Mod isn't a game doesn't mean it isn't fun. It's just not a game. Games have to have one clearly defined goal to be considered one. "Having fun" isn't really a goal since most games are supposed to do that anyway.

I'll have to agree there...

Rydian said:
QUOTE(doyama @ Apr 14 2011, 11:23 AM)
Sorry Piracy is stealing

Then why can't we sue for theft of love?
tongue.gif
While it's a bit silly, it's actually true. Man, how a lot of people would love to be able to pirate love...

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
doyama said:
TwinRetro said:
Berthenk said:
TwinRetro said:
For most games I would agree with you, but everyone knows what Garrys Mod is, everyone has seen the videos and what you can do with it. It's not too much of a stretch to say that a demo isn't needed.

QUOTE(doyama @ Apr 14 2011, 08:23 AM)
Sorry Piracy is stealing

According to US law, it's not. Theft is a criminal matter, copyright infringement is civil matter. Try again, please.

No. Piracy is not okay, and nowhere in my post did I say it was okay. If you're trying to troll me, you need to try a hell of a lot harder than that.

My point still stands though. Piracy is not theft. It's a very clear cut line. It's not debatable.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kind of Off-topic, but I couldn't resist lol

Oh, how I hate this whole "piracy" BS
rolleyes.gif

If you've ever borrowed a book/CD/game/DVD from a friend and read/played/watched it, you have just enjoyed the experience provided by the author/publisher/distributer FOR FREE, WITHOUT PAYING THEM ! (Dirty thieving criminal bastards!!!!)
lecture.gif

Is that any different ? Just because you didn't keep it ? One paid for copy of a book could circulate through (potentially) hundreds of people without the author ever getting paid by anyone except the first reader.

If you ever purchased a second hand game/CD/DVD, you are depriving the creators of a sale. You "bought" it, but you didn't pay THEM for it. And yet that is legal ?

Take your flawed argument, fold it up very small and post it where the sun doesn't shine you trolling hypocrites

[EDIT] Come to think of it, everyone who's ever used a library to borrow a book/game/cd or whatever has committed a crime
ohmy.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
No. Piracy is not okay, and nowhere in my post did I say it was okay. If you're trying to troll me, you need to try a hell of a lot harder than that.

My point still stands though. Piracy is not theft. It's a very clear cut line. It's not debatable.

Piracy is considered "unlawful" in most countries. It's technically illegal due to various legislation, yet I don't know any police force in the world that actively enforces it. It's still not "okay", but it's become second nature to denizens of the internet. How many people are left that buy all of their music?

If piracy is theft, then it would imply reduced profits. There are a number of cases where piracy has caused profits to increase, and some where profits have doubled or even trebled as a direct result of piracy. Of course, there are also cases of the opposite... but in the eyes of any law, piracy does not qualify as theft (many people who pirate never had intention of buying the games in the first place). Those who wish to debate, can always argue with a lawyer.

Unimportant point: you are easy to troll, but nobody is trying.

Important point: I vote for increased love piracy!
QUOTEWhile it's a bit silly, it's actually true. Man, how a lot of people would love to be able to pirate love...

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Originality said:
QUOTE said:

Piracy is considered "unlawful" in most countries. It's technically illegal due to various legislation, yet I don't know any police force in the world that actively enforces it. It's still not "okay", but it's become second nature to denizens of the internet. How many people are left that buy all of their music?

If piracy is theft, then it would imply reduced profits. There are a number of cases where piracy has caused profits to increase, and some where profits have doubled or even trebled as a direct result of piracy. Of course, there are also cases of the opposite... but in the eyes of any law, piracy does not qualify as theft (many people who pirate never had intention of buying the games in the first place). Those who wish to debate, can always argue with a lawyer.

Unimportant point: you are easy to troll, but nobody is trying.

Important point: I vote for increased love piracy!
QUOTEWhile it's a bit silly, it's actually true. Man, how a lot of people would love to be able to pirate love...

so....you just made my point? I'm confused. Did you think I was trying to say piracy is theft?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill