Gaming Laptop Found $700

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by TwinBlades, Apr 23, 2010.

Apr 23, 2010

Gaming Laptop Found $700 by TwinBlades at 7:02 PM (3,162 Views / 0 Likes) 40 replies

1. TwinBlades
    OP

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    I found this on Futureshop, I guess its a fairly decent laptop for gaming. I'm wondering if there are other ones around $500-$700 (Including up-coming new models) for decent gaming that can run latest games fairly well (Like play games on medium - high but not like max). I don't think Alienware and the similar laptops are worth for the money.

Reason I'm getting a laptop is because I like stuff on the go. My desktop atm is a gaming device but like I said, I need a portable gaming laptop.

Thanks guys [​IMG]

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hew...b5616e2e841en02

It's a HP Pavilion 17.3" Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz

2. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Link to it?

3. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Legally right?

4. impizkit

Member impizkit Lazy Lurker

Australia
    The graphics card is what you want to really look at for gaming. I got hosed because of it in the past. Make sure this will handle all your high end games.

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    That. Is. Not. A. Gaming. Laptop. Look. At. The. Intel. GMA. 4500. MHD.
    At least get one with a dedicated graphics card, not integrated.

6. Guzzie

Newcomer Guzzie Advanced Member

Antarctica
    That's not a laptop, that's a machine that will take your money and shred it into nothing. Do not buy HP. Second its not even for gaming really...

7. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    hmm ya I realized... I didn't read the specs, someone just linked me to it. So any laptops out there?

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    "Do not buy HP" is one of the stupidest things you can say when looking for a laptop. HP do make some very good laptops. They also make some that I wouldn't go near unless I really had to. The only thing is that they tend to go for the "premium" quality by bundling things you don't necessarily need (such as a remote control for media), and raising the price accordingly.

If you were in the UK, I'd suggest going into a Micro Anvika store and seeing the range (since they like to keep up to date with laptops). Generally you should look mostly at the graphics (looking for Nvidia GT230 or 330, although there are better, or the ATI HD4600 or HD5400 or better). I also suggest looking for Core-i3 or Core-i5 CPUs. Core-i7 machines tend to be too expensive (usually around £900+), but undeniably powerful.

Acer and Samsung are good companies to start looking through, but every company does have their gamer range.

PS: Korea is a beautiful country - I've lived there for a while [​IMG]

9. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    Toshiba P500-14L

10. Wasmachinemann

Member Wasmachinemann GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Just get a desktop, Way better than a laptop and way cheaper, And also, you can overclock it if you want.

11. patevo

Newcomer patevo Newbie

United States
    If you are looking for an affordable gaming laptop, Asus has some that are a great bang for your buck. Most are over your $700 price point but most are also under $1000. I bought my Asus G50V last year from Best Buy for $900 and it is amazing. I just completed Mass Effect 2 last week and it ran at 60fps with all specs on high. The only thing that is a little problem is that the graphics card does drain the battery a lot (mine is about 1.5 - 2 hrs). But now Nvidia has come out with new graphics technology that detects when you need to use the graphics card and when you don't, which dramatically increases the battery life of the laptop. If you want an affordable gaming laptop, go with Asus.

Posts merged

I forgot one thing, most Asus gaming laptops come with overclocking software.

12. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    Thanks guys, I'll go with Asus, but links wound be good that have the prices on them. I've been through bunch of sites the past hour and only shows reviews and photos/info no price :@

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  14. YourHero

Member YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Intel GMA 4500MHD < IGP (intel gfx processor)

These suck horribly. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...d_17_G180-15651

This is an ok laptop. Should play newest stuff on low at least. I for one am not ashamed if its on low. I rather play games than not at all. However if I can play maxed I do.

This one is nice too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-17.3-640-GB-dv7-3169wm/13339233

Saw it at my local walmart. I may buy it next pay day and give my netbook to my sister. Its plenty light and should play games on medium. 4650 was a half decent card. It doesn't show it but the store showed it had 1gb dedicated.

15. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Careful about getting larger laptops, eg. above 15." They're often cumbersome. [​IMG]

16. YourHero

Member YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I imagine its related to how hot it gets.

17. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I mean they're not all too portable when they reach 17+ inches, defeating some of the purpose of laptop.

Also be wary of battery life. Gaming laptops will usually have really low battery life. And resolution - a 17 incher with a low resolution screen will disappoint.

18. nycsam786

Member nycsam786 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As the old saying goes for cars, there is no replacement for displacement. I feel the same about gaming laptops they will always be on a lower tier when compared to gaming desktops.

19. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    the one from tigerdirect has an IGP too, which isn't very powerful
    btw IGP = integrated graphics processor not intel graphics processor

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    ATI HD4200 = integrated. HD4300 is dedicated, but it's the lowest range and I've only ever seen it once.

The one from Walmart isn't bad - 2.5Ghz AMD chip with an ATI HD4650. It'll run games quite well.

Just to throw in another link (albeit from a UK site) for an example of a good laptop: http://www.dabs.com/products/acer-aspire-5...-w7hp-6JPB.html
    Since it doesn't link the specs:
    It also has touch-sensitive media controls on the side and a wheel for adjusting the volume which I simply love ;p

For the same price, desktop PCs do make better gaming PCs than laptops, but laptops have the advantage of being smaller, lighter, portable (to some extent), battery powered (incase of a shortout or something - enough time to save data), and much less power hungry on the mains. They also come with a screen (obviously) which would normally take up at least £100 of a PC budget. I tend to use my laptops with my monitor for dual-viewing too, because I love having the extended space and being able to multi-task more efficiently.