Gaming Gaming Laptop Found $700

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this on Futureshop, I guess its a fairly decent laptop for gaming. I'm wondering if there are other ones around $500-$700 (Including up-coming new models) for decent gaming that can run latest games fairly well (Like play games on medium - high but not like max). I don't think Alienware and the similar laptops are worth for the money.

Reason I'm getting a laptop is because I like stuff on the go. My desktop atm is a gaming device but like I said, I need a portable gaming laptop.

Thanks guys
smile.gif

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hew...b5616e2e841en02

It's a HP Pavilion 17.3" Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinBlades said:
I found this on Futureshop, I guess its a fairly decent laptop for gaming. I'm wondering if there are other ones around $500-$700 (Including up-coming new models) for decent gaming that can run latest games fairly well (Like play games on medium - high but not like max). I don't think Alienware and the similar laptops are worth for the money.

Reason I'm getting a laptop is because I like stuff on the go. My desktop atm is a gaming device but like I said, I need a portable gaming laptop.

Thanks guys
smile.gif

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hew...b5616e2e841en02

It's a HP Pavilion 17.3" Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz

Legally right?

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
The graphics card is what you want to really look at for gaming. I got hosed because of it in the past. Make sure this will handle all your high end games.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That. Is. Not. A. Gaming. Laptop. Look. At. The. Intel. GMA. 4500. MHD.
At least get one with a dedicated graphics card, not integrated.

Guzzie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's not a laptop, that's a machine that will take your money and shred it into nothing. Do not buy HP. Second its not even for gaming really...

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm ya I realized... I didn't read the specs, someone just linked me to it. So any laptops out there?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
"Do not buy HP" is one of the stupidest things you can say when looking for a laptop. HP do make some very good laptops. They also make some that I wouldn't go near unless I really had to. The only thing is that they tend to go for the "premium" quality by bundling things you don't necessarily need (such as a remote control for media), and raising the price accordingly.

If you were in the UK, I'd suggest going into a Micro Anvika store and seeing the range (since they like to keep up to date with laptops). Generally you should look mostly at the graphics (looking for Nvidia GT230 or 330, although there are better, or the ATI HD4600 or HD5400 or better). I also suggest looking for Core-i3 or Core-i5 CPUs. Core-i7 machines tend to be too expensive (usually around £900+), but undeniably powerful.

Acer and Samsung are good companies to start looking through, but every company does have their gamer range.

PS: Korea is a beautiful country - I've lived there for a while
biggrin.gif

patevo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are looking for an affordable gaming laptop, Asus has some that are a great bang for your buck. Most are over your $700 price point but most are also under $1000. I bought my Asus G50V last year from Best Buy for $900 and it is amazing. I just completed Mass Effect 2 last week and it ran at 60fps with all specs on high. The only thing that is a little problem is that the graphics card does drain the battery a lot (mine is about 1.5 - 2 hrs). But now Nvidia has come out with new graphics technology that detects when you need to use the graphics card and when you don't, which dramatically increases the battery life of the laptop. If you want an affordable gaming laptop, go with Asus.

Posts merged

I forgot one thing, most Asus gaming laptops come with overclocking software.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, I'll go with Asus, but links wound be good that have the prices on them. I've been through bunch of sites the past hour and only shows reviews and photos/info no price :@

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intel GMA 4500MHD < IGP (intel gfx processor)

These suck horribly. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...d_17_G180-15651

This is an ok laptop. Should play newest stuff on low at least. I for one am not ashamed if its on low. I rather play games than not at all. However if I can play maxed I do.

This one is nice too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-17.3-640-GB-dv7-3169wm/13339233

Saw it at my local walmart. I may buy it next pay day and give my netbook to my sister. Its plenty light and should play games on medium. 4650 was a half decent card. It doesn't show it but the store showed it had 1gb dedicated.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
YourHero said:
coolbho3000 said:
Careful about getting larger laptops, eg. above 15." They're often cumbersome.
dry.gif
I'm not sure what you mean, but I imagine its related to how hot it gets.
I mean they're not all too portable when they reach 17+ inches, defeating some of the purpose of laptop.

Also be wary of battery life. Gaming laptops will usually have really low battery life. And resolution - a 17 incher with a low resolution screen will disappoint.

nycsam786

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the old saying goes for cars, there is no replacement for displacement. I feel the same about gaming laptops they will always be on a lower tier when compared to gaming desktops.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
YourHero said:
Intel GMA 4500MHD < IGP (intel gfx processor)

These suck horribly. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...d_17_G180-15651

This is an ok laptop. Should play newest stuff on low at least. I for one am not ashamed if its on low. I rather play games than not at all. However if I can play maxed I do.

This one is nice too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-17.3-640-GB-dv7-3169wm/13339233

Saw it at my local walmart. I may buy it next pay day and give my netbook to my sister. Its plenty light and should play games on medium. 4650 was a half decent card. It doesn't show it but the store showed it had 1gb dedicated.

the one from tigerdirect has an IGP too, which isn't very powerful
btw IGP = integrated graphics processor not intel graphics processor

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
ATI HD4200 = integrated. HD4300 is dedicated, but it's the lowest range and I've only ever seen it once.

The one from Walmart isn't bad - 2.5Ghz AMD chip with an ATI HD4650. It'll run games quite well.

Just to throw in another link (albeit from a UK site) for an example of a good laptop: http://www.dabs.com/products/acer-aspire-5...-w7hp-6JPB.html
Since it doesn't link the specs:
QUOTE said:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium , Intel® Core™ i3 processor 330M (2.26GHz, 3MB Cache), 15.6" HD Acer CineCrystal™ LED LCD, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650, 1G DDR3, 2 GB Memory+2 GB Memory, 640 GB HDD, Blu-ray Disc™/Super-Multi DL combo drive, Acer Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR, Acer fingerprint reader, Acer fingerprint reader, 3-pin 90W AC adapter
It also has touch-sensitive media controls on the side and a wheel for adjusting the volume which I simply love ;p

For the same price, desktop PCs do make better gaming PCs than laptops, but laptops have the advantage of being smaller, lighter, portable (to some extent), battery powered (incase of a shortout or something - enough time to save data), and much less power hungry on the mains. They also come with a screen (obviously) which would normally take up at least £100 of a PC budget. I tend to use my laptops with my monitor for dual-viewing too, because I love having the extended space and being able to multi-task more efficiently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y