Not open for further replies.

Sally Trift

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I am the mother of a 26 year old young man. He moved away from home at the age of 20. I have no idea if Second Life was around 6 years ago, but let me make one thing perfectly clear. Second Life should be banned from every home everywhere. It is an addiction that takes hold and takes over one's life. I had no clue what my son was doing. He is 26, does not work, gambles, and goes on the computer. That is his life.

He was diagnosed with Aspergers Disorder when he was 21. He was not living at home at the time. It seems that many people with Aspergers do not like other people, do not like to socialize, and choose, as their avatars, Androids in Second Life. Do any of you know what it is like to have a child, and then lose that child to a compuer virtual reality world? I know what this is like. It has happened to me and my family. I do not know who my son is anymore. I don't even know what he looks like. He doesn't care about anything but Second LIfe. I believe he lives, sleeps and eats this virtual reality world. I joined it, just to see what the heck he was doing all day. I had to choose an avatar, and there was my son, inviting me to go flying with him. I admit, it was nice for about 10 minutes. Going shopping and such. It's a nice place to get away for an hour or so once in a while. But to live in this world, to never leave your home, to have no friends, to not have a girlfriend. To not exercise, walk around the block, etc., well, you must understand. This is the same as drinking, drugging, or gambling. It's an addiction. It destroys families.

My son went to college and is brilliant. As are most users in Second Life, I would imagine. But to not see your mother for 6 years. To not call your father when he is in the hospital. To actually tell your parents, "you are no longer a priority in my life". Well, to me, the founders of Second Life should be arrested and put away for life.

They have destroyed families. Shame on them.

Let me tell you something interesting that I just found out. I had never knew this before. I found a website named OLGA, Online Gamers Anonymous. Well, every single parent is going through what I went through. There are also people who have lost husbands and wives due to Second Life, World of Warcraft, etc. It seems that all this video games change the domanine level in the brain and the kids can't stop, and if you try and take the game console away, the kids rebel and some even attack the parents.

This is very serious. Video gaming is addictive, and more important, these virtual reality worlds are ADDICTIVE. I do not believe my son has aspergers. My son's behavior fits EXACTLY what these parents are discussing. These parents are going through hell. Kids are not going to school, they are not getting off of the computer, or playstation. All they do, day and night is play games. One young man does not see his family any more. His parents are broken hearted. I now know that my son is absolutely 100% a Gaming Addict. I have nothing more to say. There are no rehabs yet for this kind of addiction. Because every single household buys these consoles and computers for the kids. Think about it. When does a kid start smoking? At about 14 or 15 (to be cool, to fit in, WHATEVER).

When does a kid start using video games. FROM THE AGE OF 3.

They get them hooked young.

They should be arrested. Go online and do the research if you don't believe that I have written. Oh and all these gaming addicts have the same Mantra.... I can quit whenever I wish, I'm not an addict, I can quit. AND THEY NEVER DO!!!

All sellers, manufacturers and users of video games should be locked up. I'm not overreacting because I'm a bad parent at all.

Jemlee

Trophies
Website
www.arwingnet.co.cc
XP
Country
You're not a bad parent but you are overreacting. Though I understand you are hurt but it's not the drug that does damage but the loss of control when the person abuses it's use.

I have sent you a message.

Pls read it and best of luck.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I play video games all the time, but i still socialize make friends go out, you know all the usual stuff. Some people just don't want to or don't know how to do that. But then again i never really took a liking to games like world of war craft. But you've got to realize that kids need control, I mean if it wasn't for my parents I'd probably bee stuck in video games all the time, Video games are like a hobby, they shouldn't take over your lives. I'm guessing it's too late now to help your son, but why don't you go see him and try and get him to talk or something. Oh and try not to overreact.

Sally Trift

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me Jemlee but I'm not sure what you mean by 'Troll' but I have only come here to warn of gaming addiction.

Posts merged

Yes I did post on that site but I want to spread the word amongst a more 'gaming' community.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Jemlee said:
Do not reply it's a troll, (muppet invasion)
OMG REALLY?

I LOVE YOU MUPPETINVASION
wub.gif

Jemlee

Trophies
Website
www.arwingnet.co.cc
XP
Country
As I am aware that you are an extremely hurt parent, the cause is not the game but your son's attitude and how little time you spent with him after leaving for college ( not your fault of course).

Drugs and medicine do not hurt people unless it's abused, same situation here.

I do honestly hope you 2 can make-up. I am a 16 year old gamer but I absolutely love my parents.

Best of Luck

JemLee

MuppetInvasion was my name before I got permabanned. I'm actually a troll, if you weren't sure. This whole speech was copy and pasted from google.
biggrin.gif
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
biggrin.gif
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This was in my inbox from you, is that enough proof?

Sally Trift

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I MISS THIS COMMUNITY SO MUCH AND I WANT TO BE UNBANNED PLEASE
sad.gif

Edit: Not really. I would like to be unbanned though
smile.gif

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!?
you're like the fricking people that complain about TV shows saying "they are innapropriate for kids"
don't ruin it for everyone.
just stop ONLY your kid, OK!?

Sally Trift

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!?
you're like the fricking people that complain about TV shows saying "they are innapropriate for kids"
don't ruin it for everyone.
just stop ONLY your kid, OK!?

Dude. I'm a lovable troll.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so you're a fail gamer and you're taking it out on the scene? XD go home your invasion failed on Invasion Board

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok this is obviously someone making an extra account to pull a joke because noone would call themselves a troll.
I'm gonna laugh my head off if your reasl account is banned.

Sally Trift

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Ok this is obviously someone making an extra account to pull a joke because noone would call themselves a troll.
I'm gonna laugh my head off if your reasl account is banned.

I used to be on here quite a lot. My name was MuppetInvasion then I was permanently banned
biggrin.gif

Azadar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This isn't retarded, and I feel for you. I understand it. I myself find Im addicted to games. I have an impulse to buy every new title I see knowing I will never play them. I have a stack of 40+ new games here unplayed. I was given games at young age as well. I find myself having to fight the urges and impulse shopping also.

Your so is an adult so you cant stop him and I think you somehow really need to help him find an outlet for what he feels is missing. Find out in the game what he loves to do, and somehow find a real world way to have him get involved with that.. Slowly bring his gaming life into reality.

Also he needs to find some girls.. You are not going to like this at all but honestly if hes taken no interest in girls or boys for that matter you should make this happen.
Somehow get him a "Date" don't let him know it overtly take him to a bar one night have them meet you etc..It might jump start his desire and make him feel like he can do it outside of virtual life.

I wish you luck hope it works out this is a serious issues it does not effect all kids, or adults but it does tend to fill a missing void in our lives the trick is finding out what that is and getting it in real life..

Peace and Love
Azadar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k