GameSpy shutting down.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, you're talking about the wrong GameSpy. This one was the PC-centric sister site of IGN which unlike the latter I actually quite enjoyed reading. This website and the online matchmaking middleware you're all talking about have not been the same company for quite a while.
Yeah I thought they were talking about the wrong Gamespy, didn't IGN make its own sister site obsolete?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Added a little note on the distinction (I actually did not know/remember the lobby/matchmaking stuff had been spun off). I would occasionally get gamespy articles up in a search if I was deliberately looking for old news and they were not bad (good by the standards of today which means great the ten odd years ago they were written) but if anything was bookmarked it was probably the matchmaking service from when I was checking out freeware FPS games a few years back.

By similar token it seems 1up is also going as part of IGN's streamlining, I am not about to pick apart the layers of nonsense that make up IGN and the companies that own them and others right now though (I had a quick go and quickly realised why I build things that exist for a living rather than shuffle paper).

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember using gamespy back in the day when playing quake 1, one time I was goofing around with mods and quake servers and I used the monster mod on some random server and transformed into a fiend and went around jumping and slashing a few people to death, it was funny as hell...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)