Gameshark on VC... possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by natanelho, Jul 24, 2016.

1. natanelho
    OP

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    VC is emulator, right? so there should be the right place to post it, right?
    ok so I was playing pokemon blue and thought to myself- is there any option to make a gb/c gameshark rom with a gb/c game inside it? and then install it as VC CIA, like normal VC?
    I'm not really interested in gateways' gateshark, but if theres a simple option for it, I would like to hear....

2. Thee_BaBs

Thee_BaBs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I doubt it as the VC emulator would have to be modified. You could probably find some method of converting game shark cheats to gateshark though.

3. natanelho
    OP

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    I also think that the VC itself dont need to be modified... but then I need somehow to inject a GB/C game into gameshark rom and then inject the whole thing into VC and install

4. phalk

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    The closest way to do this is to use gameshark on a PC then transfer the save to the VC game.

But shame on you cheaters, gameshark and save edits are things that should not exist at all. >:(

5. Thee_BaBs

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I guess I misread your question. You can dump your VC save, load it in a PC emulator, use gameshark cheats and reinject the save.

6. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    I think a Gameshark NTR plugin would be cool...

7. Thee_BaBs

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Gameshark codes are just ram modifiers right?

8. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    IIRC, yes.

9. Thee_BaBs

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I imagine an ntr plugin could be feasible, I think it would just be a manner of finding the correct offsets.

10. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    I also found this on StackExchange.

11. Thee_BaBs

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Looks doable, however I haven't personally looked into how ntr plugins work so I can't say for sure, but this would be a neat project to try.

12. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    How about the VC .patch files?

13. Thee_BaBs

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I haven't looked into thoose but it's a possibility. I don't have a 3ds atm so I can't test it.

14. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Can you provide info about this?

15. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    You have a couple of options here:
    1. (not possible with GBA games)
    Use NTR to write your own cheat codes. You'll basically only have to find the address of one value and calculate the difference between the value you have found and the address the GameShark code would write to. After you have that difference, you can simply convert the Gameshark codes to NTR codes. I've done this numerous times already and it's really the best method to use GameShark codes in VC games
    2. Patching the codes directly into the ROMs. To do this, you'd have to decrypt the cia of the game and extract the ROM from it. Then you can use tools like GBAATM to patch CodeBreaker and GameShark v3 codes into the ROM itself. There's also a tool like this for NES, SNES and GB(C) games called CCCGP. This comes with a lot of limitations though. GBAATM only works with RAM write codes, ROM patch codes do not work. The exact opposite goes for CCCGP. With that tool you can only patch GameGenie ROM write codes into the game. I'd like to mention that you CAN patch ROM writing codes into a GBA ROM by simply hex editing the ROM but then the effects of those cheats would be permanent, leaving you with no way to turn these cheats off.

16. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    I thought the patch files behaves like RAM replacement. Try decompiling a Pokemon blue CIA and look into the .patch files. There's a whole thread talking about the new VC, which have those patches

MichiS97 likes this.
  17. natanelho
    OP

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    Please place a link to that thread

18. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Use GameGenieGuy to Patch Genie Codes directly to the Games

Attached Files:

19. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I used to agree with this sentence. Then I discovered games that consist of farming all the time and progressing/having fun very scarcely.
    So if these games exist, cheats and stuff should. But indeed, cheats and stuff shouldn't exist because these games shouldn't either.

Just a stupid example, Pokemon Picross, a perfect example of a "free to play" game. Either you pay 30€ (for a picross game? seriously?) or you farm... or you cheat.

20. natanelho
    OP

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    ...or you rage-quite or you make it into an entrypoint for HB lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Man I dont play competetive games with cheats, the whole fun in those is enjoying your hard work... but f2p games and games in which you needa farm 30 games for one good run- in those you needa cheats... I dont have spare money fore in app purchases...

Hayleia likes this.