Gaming Games that you should play but wouldnt

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I'm making this thread because I think the most underrated titless thread has the right idea but does it wrong. also, I'd like this thread to be more community run. So, These are games most people probably havent played, and probably won't, which could be because they are not well known, or just cos they suck. But none of us pay for these games, so these games are worth a download and a try.

Speed Racer
This game is a compotent, though not much more, F Zero clone. Definately worth a download if you enjoy F Zero.

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Yes I know, they have the worst voices ever, and every song is phisically painful to listen to, but it is a competent GH clone, and is quite fun. Not as good as Guitar Rock Tour, but not bad.

Guitar Rock Tour
This is a blatant Guitar Hero Rock Band clone. Now, most will dismiss it as shovelware, but it is quite fun, has enough songs to keep you amused for a while, has enough character to not be a lame cash in, it has guitar and drums, and is hard enough that it should be quite a bit of a challenge unless you are really fantastic at GH. I'd go as far as to say as it is a must get for any GH or RB fans.

Crash of the Titans
If you liked Crash on the PS1, I'd say this is a worthy download. I didn't keep it for long, but I definately suggest it for people who liked the old school Crash games.

Nervous Brickdown
A very fun and creative Arcanoid clone, that does alot different. Every world fundamentally changes the core gameplay. You should definately download this if you like that style game.

Battles of Prince of Persia
A card based turn based strategy game. You already know if want this, by reading that description.

Great Giana Sisters
Quite fun Super Mario 1 clone. Just as blatant as the original. Well, that may be a bit harsh. It does alot of things new, and the level structure is different, not just move left to right, it brings a few new ideas. Most are pretty gimicky though. It deserves points for not having forced microphone use. When you could use it, you can turn it off and press A instead. Worth a play for Mario fans, or simple straight up platforming fans. Has bonus levels, acheivements, etc too.

Soul Bubbles
Relaxingest game evar! This game is quite beautiful, very relaxing and fun. A slow paced game where you make bubbles and blow them around the level, taking things to the end, solving puzzles etc. Fantastic game, and i havent heard much about it at all since its release.

Master of Monster Lair
A make your own RPG dungeon, and then get through the dungeon you made game. Something quite different, lite on RPG and light on creation, but very fun aswell. A nice RPG lite.

GRID
A great racing game on DS. Fun damage system, where if you screw up totally, and crash an awful lot, you get to the point where the car wont move or turn. Strongly recommended, as close to simulation as you will get on ds, and still quite fun in an arcade way too.

Super Monkey Ball Touch and Roll
Super Monkey Ball on the DS. Not much else to say. A full new game though. some stages are recycled, but I found it more refreshingly familiar than cheaply repeated. Minigames bit crap, but proper Money Ball experience still there and still great.

Transformers
Transformers are fun games on the DS. Open world mechanic there. You know, might not hold attention forever, but it has rampage missions, story missions, etc. Can drive around as well as walk as robot. All in proper 3D, makes me think that gta cw could have been different...

Thanks to Terenigma for the next 2 reviews.

anno 1701
its simular to cossacks and age of empires in that you build an empire but it has a much bigger focus on econamy than war but its a really fun little game especially landing ur ship on an island (that you choose) and building ur base from scratch up then building attack boats to go to other islands and attack. great lil game

N+
not sure how popular this game is. but its fun you have a little stickman figure and the object of the game is to negotiate objects in levels and get to an exit. sound simple? it is but its fun because your stickman takes on ninja style jump mechanics ie able to bounce up walls and cling to walls and slide down them its got 40+ episodes each with 5 levels and online levels you can download as well as create levels. great game

Thanks to pengin2008 for this review

MegaMan Battle Network DS series
STOP! Don't flame me just yet! I kinda thought it was overrated, and never really gave it a second look, I got Double Team, and I'm hooked, well I would be if I could get past a level.

Thanks to Granville for the next review

Robocalypse
No one played it (except maybe myself (Granville) and Hadrian wink.gif ((and me)) ), but it got some good reviews and is actually quite a good RTS. Closest the DS has gotten to a true and fun RTS. It succeeds with flying colors and is hilarious to boot. The story is by the Spongebob makers and is truly hilarious.

If anyone can think of anything else that deserves to be here, please post in that format and i will add it to my list

ZaneStriker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with almost all of those games is that they're already puesdo-decent games on the other consoles and that the DS versions are just money grabbing ports.

Crash of the Titans was great on the 360, awful on the DS. Same goes for the Guitar Hero game lol.

Possibly be interested in the Prince of Persia game, though the last one on the 360 put me off so much. Poor Prince
frown.gif

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, but that is the idea. games that kinda suck on ds, but if you are a fan of the genre, it would be worth a download.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I wasn't aware that Speed Racer was an F-Zero clone. I haven't bothered with it so far, but I'm a huge F-Zero fan and always wondered why there wasn't an F-Zero DS, even if they were just to do a quick and nasty port of X. Anyway, I'll have to give this a shot now, thanks for the tip.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also second Crash of the Titans and Speed Racer. Crash is the closest we've had to classic PS1 crash in quite a long time. It's fun, but sadly way too short and not as hard as the PS1 games. 4 worlds with 2 levels and a boss is not good enough, even IF the levels are long. Plus it's a fully 3D platformer with some of the best graphics on DS. The game is fully voiced and the character animation is similar to Jak and Daxter. Worth a download, but I wouldn't buy it due to the short length.

Speed Racer is a really competent Fzero clone. Complete with insane speeds, loops, corkscrews, and the things that make an Fzero game great. I was shocked when it came out. The game runs at a perfect 60 frames per second too, easily making it the fastest and smoothest game on the DS. It's really impressive actually. The one addition is the badly named "car fu" mechanic. It's literally car combat where you can enter a combat sequence when you get close to an opponent and attempt to send them spinning out of control. It's an interesting mechanic, but not too major.

I think the brand new game Giana Sisters DS is a really good Mario clone. But I doubt anyone will play it and it will sink into obscurity.

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, GTA Chinatown wars is great, how couldnt you love it?
Granville, I like your reviews. Will edit them in tomorrow when i have more time.
If you or anyone else can think of any other worthy games, please write a mini review for them

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I agree that Giana Sisters is really quite great. Feels like an early '90s Amiga platformer to me, very enjoyable despite being completely derivative. It's also really colourful, in a way that games haven't been since SVGA was first introduced and everybody felt they had to take advantage of it. I know I'm getting nostalgic for the wrong era, since the original Giana Sisters was very much an '80s experience, but this release definitely feels '90s. It won't get rave reviews, but it deserves a play.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Alvin and the Chipmunks = are you kidding me?! yes it does the same thing as guitar hero you press on the screen but omg its terrible i remeber playing that for a laugh but the songs are awful and its just a bad BAD BAD GAME

crash of the titans = TOTALLY AGREE with you. i had fun with game alot! its a fun game with some neat mechanics and fairly decent graphics i actually cant remeber finding anything wrong with that game other than some other games i wanted to play came out so i stopped playing. i should re-load it

Some games i think are worthy but proberbly not well known:

anno 1701 = its simular to cossacks and age of empires in that you build an empire but it has a much bigger focus on econamy than war but its a really fun little game especially landing ur ship on an island (that you choose) and building ur base from scratch up then building attack boats to go to other islands and attack. great lil game

N+ = not sure how popular this game is. but its fun you have a little stickman figure and the object of the game is to negotiate objects in levels and get to an exit. sound simple? it is but its fun because your stickman takes on ninja style jump mechanics ie able to bounce up walls and cling to walls and slide down them its got 40+ episodes each with 5 levels and online levels you can download as well as create levels. great game

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Terenigma, I added your 2 reviews to the list. Never played Anno 1701, but agree with your N+ comments. That game was SO hard though. Jeez, some of those levels, I only got up to like the 8th or 9th world too. Any other games people?

pengin2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MegaMan Battle Network DS series = STOP! Don't flame me just yet! I kinda thought it was overrated, and never really gave it a second look, I got Double Team, and I'm hooked, well I would be if I could get past a level.

MegaMan ZX Advent = I Really liked the original MegaMan games, I played through them all again, only recently infact, and I was looking for something similar to those... This, is not it. Sure you take the enemies' abilities after you defeat them, but I was looking for something a little closer to the Originals.

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
added penguin2008's battle network, but it sounds to me as though you hated zx advent, so i didnt add it.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one more game to add- Robocalypse. No one played it (except maybe myself and Hadrian
wink.gif
), but it got some good reviews and is actually quite a good RTS. Closest the DS has gotten to a true and fun RTS. It succeeds with flying colors and is hilarious to boot. The story is by the Spongebob makers and is truly hilarious.

Apparently it DID do well enough to get a wiiware sequel though.

Synsane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should play that Bleach game everyone loves.. but I just can't make myself download it because of this hidden hatred I have for Bleach for no real reason.
Too many fanboys killed the anime for me.. plus I thought it was too much like other animes I've seen which made the whole start predictable for me, and was a total bore..
With all the fanboys over it, it got even more annoying.. and now I don't want anything to do with anything Bleach.. even in JUS I couldn't play as a Bleach character.
tongue.gif

tkls

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bleach is alot of fun, and a solid fighter. Yes, you should play it. And skip all cutscenes if you need to. i did lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again