Gaming Games Completely on Card

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we have a list of Switch games in which the base (no DLC or patches) game is completely on a game card? It sucks to know that many game cards will be pretty much useless due to some developers only putting part of their game on a lower capacity card and forcing the gamer to install the rest of the game. It feels like you're buying a glorified eShop hall pass instead of a "complete" game.

From checking out the file sizes, I guess it's safe to assume that Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Arms are on 8GB cards meaning, the entire base game should be on the card with no need for eShop help. This information might be important for assessing after market value of game cards once the Switch is long gone and the eShop server is shut down.

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
Do we have a list of Switch games in which the base (no DLC or patches) game is completely on a game card? It sucks to know that many game cards will be pretty much useless due to some developers only putting part of their game on a lower capacity card and forcing the gamer to install the rest of the game. It feels like you're buying a glorified eShop hall pass instead of a "complete" game.

From checking out the file sizes, I guess it's safe to assume that Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Arms are on 8GB cards meaning, the entire base game should be on the card with no need for eShop help. This information might be important for assessing after market value of game cards once the Switch is long gone and the eShop server is shut down.

Think BOTW is also cart only, as is Mario Kart. Xenoblade chroicles 2 also.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I’m not worried about it. I
chose to go all digital knowing this
would happen after having 50gb Xbox games. I have 31 games digital only taking up 100gb. By the time Switch eshop is going offline, if ever, micro sd cards will be in the 1gb range and affordable at that size. Also I’m sure usb hdd access will be allowed eventually too. If not I’ll just download a few sets of my games on a few micro sd etc. no worries!

Reactions: Eddypikachu

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Fate/Extella, that's the only game I have that's completely on the card

Think BOTW is also cart only, as is Mario Kart. Xenoblade chroicles 2 also.
BOTW and Xenoblade has update and DLCs digitally, so it's not completely on card. I don't have Mario Kart but if it has update patches, then it's also not completely on card.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried playing Xenoblade and BotW offline without patching?
Well sure, nintendo lets you play them without updating. There aren't many "mandatory" updates out there. Good Guy nintendo, letting us play our game without updates. They only require updates, usually, if it's a game-crashing bug or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay