Gamecube USB loader without disc drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by isaac52, Nov 1, 2012.

Nov 1, 2012
  1. isaac52
    OP

Member isaac52 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been looking into it, and so far it seems like a disc drive helps certain problems with controls by having a retail game in the loader... but I just want to be certain.

My laser died a few years ago, and I've been playing off usb ever since, and my gamecube games on my actual gamecube. Now the gamecube has died, and with no working laser, i wish to play my legally owned games on my wii now (mostly fire emblem)

Is it possible to play them from usb drive while having a broken disc drive?

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You can try with DIOS MIOS (Lite).
    It doesn't require a disc in the drive (no verification process, and access are redirected to SD/USB while playing), but some games may still require it.
    I've read that audio streaming games needed it, but it doesn't mean audio streaming is working.

If you want audio streaming with DM(L) you will require the retail game and play it from disc anyway, so for the moment you can play all non-audio streaming games without disc.

3. AbdallahTerro

Member AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Lebanon
    Yes and No

Yes for DiosMios(Lite)
    No for Devolution

check how to setup diosmios(lite) and convert your GC discs using a PC (only few DVD drives work here) or download them from the internet.

good luck

4. isaac52
    OP

Member isaac52 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's audio streaming? I'm pretty sure it can't be normal sound (since all games have that, and you state it as if only some games have audio streaming)

I found a list of audio stream games, and none of my interests are in it (Aside from SF: Adventures :() but exactly what is it? Can't find any info.

Thanks, I've already got the convertion process down.

Anyway, thanks for the help you guys.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Some games are using what's called Audio Streaming. Instead of loading the sound file and playing it, they let this task to the SPU by providing only the location (file address) of the sound to play and then doesn't check if the file is correctly played or not, the game continue his own doing and only wait for the SPU response "ok, I played it" to send the next address to the SPU and so on.

The problem is the SPU is using a direct access to the disc drive while the game data is on USB or SD, and it (currently) can't be patched by DIOS MIOS (Lite).
    So not playing from the retail disc result in the SPU not accessing the file correctly/at all, the game waits for the answer which never comes resulting in un-synch subtitles, no sound, wrong sound played etc.

Audio Streaming games are working fine only with:
    Retail disc (system menu or DM(L))
    Backup disc + some modchips (from system menu or with DM(L))
    Backup ISO + Devolution

isaac52 likes this.