Hardware gamecube memory card corrupt ?

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It says each time it needs to be formatted at wii system menu or GC games.

Anything I can do to save my savegames?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wrote a program for exactly this situation. (GCN MemCard Recover)

What you need to do:
  1. Download GCMM: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM
  2. Run GCMM, and save a raw backup of the "corrupt" memory card to an SD or USB device.
  3. Download GCN MemCard Recover: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCN_MemCard_Recover
  4. Open the raw backup file in the program.
  5. If you haven't formatted the card yet, it should still list most of the files. If you have formatted the card, click the Search button to try searching for lost files. Note that the Windows build of v0.2 has some issues with the XML files; I'm planning on releasing a v0.2.1 update that fixes this and some other issues.

The latest USA database for GCN MemCard Recover is available at http://www.dusers.drexel.edu/gitweb...git/blob_plain/HEAD:/data/GcnMcFileDb.USA.xml .

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the directory tables got scrambled somehow.

You may be able to find save files by using the Scan function. (second button on the toolbar) Check the end of the listing afterwards to see if it found any files.

Note that the database files included with the Windows version of mcrecover-0.2 are partially broken, so I recommend downloading this: http://www.dusers.drexel.edu/gitweb...git/blob_plain/HEAD:/data/GcnMcFileDb.USA.xml and placing it in the data directory.

If all else fails, you can send me a (compressed) copy of the memory card dump and I'll take a look at it.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I downloaded the xml and put in data folder.
And pressed scan.. the interface andinfo looks the same to me...

I hope I am not boned now :(

Most important saves are in order:

Tales of Symphonia
Super Smash brothers
Mario Kart

I could do with imported save games for the latter 2. But the first one is very personalized :(

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, make sure you enable the "Scan Used Block" option in the Options menu.

Mario Kart saves can't be recovered right now due to a technical limitation. (The file description is in the second block.)

There is a save definition for Tales of Symphonia. If it's not finding it, then something might be really wrong with the card. If the entire card is acting up, it might be a hardware issue - you'd have to check if e.g. the contacts are dirty or if a pin on the chip inside the card broke somehow.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Checked the scan used option.

Checked contacts seemed normal tried cleaning em a bit.
Put memory card in freezer as I googled some ppl were getting success with it.

No success.

Still wanting to format. And still gibberish info in the tool...

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I guess the data is unrecoverable?

It wouldn't be save to save at that memory card I take it?

Anyway to save without a memory card? Maybe on the SD card or USB drive?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you send me the raw dump of your memory card? My email address is my username, at my username dot com.

DIOS MIOS and Nintendon't both offer options for saving onto SD or USB, though DIOS MIOS's memory card emulation is a bit hit-or-miss, and Nintendon't is still working on improving compatibility.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Is there any way to recover any Harvest Moon game files? Or is it still not possible?

instead of asking if we have a magic ball to answer your question
could you try what people had been suggesting in this thread and provide more info on your problem? what happened to your harvest moon save? you deleted it? it was corrupted?

Michelle107

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
instead of asking if we have a magic ball to answer your question
could you try what people had been suggesting in this thread and provide more info on your problem? what happened to your harvest moon save? you deleted it? it was corrupted?
My friend's gamecube memory card became corrupted, so they had to format their memory card. I just need to know if there is a checksum algorithm for any of those games to help recover the data.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My friend's gamecube memory card became corrupted, so they had to format their memory card. I just need to know if there is a checksum algorithm for any of those games to help recover the data.

if they formated and used the memory card again (filled again the card), changes are very very low...

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GCN MemCard Recover does not currently have any save file definitions for Harvest Moon.

What you can do:
  1. Do a full backup of the memory card using GCMM.
  2. Create a new Harvest Moon save file.
  3. Back up only that save file in GCI format using GCMM.
  4. Send me the original raw backup and the new GCI file.
Depending on how much data has been written since the card was reformatted, it may be possible to recover the save file.

Michelle107

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GCN MemCard Recover does not currently have any save file definitions for Harvest Moon.

What you can do:
  1. Do a full backup of the memory card using GCMM.
  2. Create a new Harvest Moon save file.
  3. Back up only that save file in GCI format using GCMM.
  4. Send me the original raw backup and the new GCI file.
Depending on how much data has been written since the card was reformatted, it may be possible to recover the save file.
Thank you. I'll just tell my friend to do a full backup of her memory card using GCMM. I'm sure it'll work.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can you send me the raw dump of your memory card? My email address is my username, at my username dot com.

DIOS MIOS and Nintendon't both offer options for saving onto SD or USB, though DIOS MIOS's memory card emulation is a bit hit-or-miss, and Nintendon't is still working on improving compatibility.

Sorry for late reply. Hope It wont take u so long as me lol!!
Been picking up my wii again

Sent the raw dump to [email protected]

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked the raw dump. Unfortunately, it looks like the entire card was clobbered by something. (There's a repeated pattern, but I can't identify it.)

KaitLander

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi guys, i'm new to this thing and i have the same problem of corrupted memory, I already dumped the raw backup but don't know how to compile the mcRecover to start the program...i have checked for tutorials but found nothing, can someone help me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm