Hacking Gamecube iso's

buckchow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI, I was the guy that hunted down and found the disc expander linked-above that is still being sold.
Thanks for looking around for stuff. :) I kept coming across that VenMill adapter you pointed out during my shopping as well. Unfortunately, I doubt it would work with anything other than the disc repair equipment it's designed for. The very old Sony adapter I found looks similar to the Memorex one that's no longer available. The 3-inch/8cm disc fits into the adapter so that the disc and adapter together look almost perfectly flat from the side. The VenMill adapter appears to have the disc sit on top of it, so it wouldn't be flat and would probably have major compatibility problems.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
- Both Wii and GC discs are the same type that deviates slightly from the standard DVD format. As long as the Wii U drive can physically load a GC disc in an adapter, I'm not aware of any technical limitation that could prevent the drive from reading GC discs just as effortlessly as it reads Wii discs.

The vWii firmware probably won't acknowledge GC discs in adapters until a friendly programmer convinces that firmware to branch out a bit. For now, I'm just happy being very optimistic that GC disc support will eventually be a reality on Wii U. :)
That adapters never will work in a WiiU (I think the same in a WiiFE).
An adapter has nothing do do with the WiiU's disc drive that not recognize the GC discs.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am not sure, but I am sure that being sure of success or failure of something that hasn't actually been tested is something I will surely not bet for nor against.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I understand your optimism but I wanted to comment that AFAIK the drive when read a disc check first its type and if see that is not a wii/u disc is expelled, regardless of it's size.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What of the disc verification? Surely, if discs cannot be verified, then there's no chance in hell of Gamecube running on Wii U since he doesn't like piracy. End of story.

He shouldn't make a video on a program he refuses to release.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What of the disc verification? Surely, if discs cannot be verified, then there's no chance in hell of Gamecube running on Wii U since he doesn't like piracy. End of story.
He shouldn't make a video on a program he refuses to release.
I really think it's time to remove the disc verification, at least in WiiU.
Unless he's planning to do the verification otherwise.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what we're talking about adapters for.

But if the Wii U can't read those discs with the adapter, what makes people think the verification will work. Yes, I can respect the fact there are people that are against piracy, but others shouldn't suffer because of the actions of those who do.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I can respect the fact there are people that are against piracy, but others shouldn't suffer because of the actions of those who do.
Versus him not doing anything, in which case... you still wouldn't be doing anything.

So he does some shit that doesn't actually affect you or change anything you do.

Boo fucking hoo.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
But if the Wii U can't read those discs with the adapter, what makes people think the verification will work. Yes, I can respect the fact there are people that are against piracy, but others shouldn't suffer because of the actions of those who do.
the point is just that no one has tested it. IF it works that would be great but at the moment there's no other way that's even a "maybe".

buckchow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be the the wii software and nt the drive firmware that's causing it to eject.
I had been assuming that the vWii software was rejecting the GC discs, although I can see how the drive firmware isn't out of the question. That makes me wonder whether or not Nintendo is able to update the Wii U drive's firmware on existing systems. If they can, and the GC disc rejection is currently being done in the vWii software, they could move the disc type check over to the drive firmware to make it more difficult to get at. Of course, if they can't update the drive firmware on existing systems, they could change it for all newly manufactured systems. Not a happy thought. I'm still hoping for a positive outcome though. :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, at least on the Wii they weren't able to update drive firmware, that's apparent (or that at least they never thought of it ... homebrew people didn't either.)

I don't think they'd bother, though. It's not like having it able to detect a legit GC disk and reject it is worth the effort. It doesn't seem to pose any security risk, anyway.

...ANYWAY, we still don't even know if it rejects it NOW or not and I don't think I'm gonna quite lose all hope until I see an official report that someone actually TRIED it.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the adapter work to read GC games in a Non GC Wii?. those still had a GC disk next to a Wii disk on the Disk Channel and may still have Firmware support for GC games. if it works in one via an adapter then that would pretty much confirm its the Wii U's drive firmware.

now, I wonder if it will work if you disassemble the drive and stick a GC disk with adapter, into the drive after it successfully accepts a Wii Disk. ie, hotswap. by doing this, homebrew could be used to see if the drive firmware can indeed access GC disks, despite its attempt to spit it out. if it does work, it may be possible for more daring people to try devolution disk authentication this way if they wanted to.

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
does the adapter work to read GC games in a Non GC Wii?. those still had a GC disk next to a Wii disk on the Disk Channel and may still have Firmware support for GC games. if it works in one via an adapter then that would pretty much confirm its the Wii U's drive firmware.

now, I wonder if it will work if you disassemble the drive and stick a GC disk with adapter, into the drive after it successfully accepts a Wii Disk. ie, hotswap. by doing this, homebrew could be used to see if the drive firmware can indeed access GC disks, despite its attempt to spit it out. if it does work, it may be possible for more daring people to try devolution disk authentication this way if they wanted to.

The only difference between a Wii disc and a GC disc, aside from what stored on it, is the physical size. If the spitting it out can be overcome, homebrew should have no problem accessing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up