Gamecube controller, questions about sensivity and dead zones

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by marchrius, Aug 26, 2015.

1. marchrius
    OP

marchrius GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2015
    Italy
    Just got a white official gamecube controller, new. Never used GC controllers before. I noticed both sticks have annoying dead zones, for dead zones I mean you tilt the stick in one direction and it doesn't register the input until you tilt it more. The left stick got the biggest dead zones:

~5% up
    ~20% down
    ~5% right
    ~8% left

Is that normal for GC controllers? Got two wii U pro controllers and they're perfectly fine, very little symmetrical dead zones on both sticks.

2. capz

capz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2014
    Netherlands
    cake town
    20% for down seems quite a lot for a new controller, but almost all controllers i've seen have some dead zone to them. Do you have the smash version white controller, or an unused matte or pearl white model?

marchrius likes this.
  3. marchrius
    OP

marchrius GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2015
    Italy
    It was the smash one, but got similar issues with another controller, a white one from the Wii era, sold in Japan.

I ended up selling both and buying an indigo/clear controller, new. Very little dead zones on this one. Out of three controllers, the best one is the one manufactured during the GC era, better than the more recent ones. It may be just bad luck, however..